Oscilloscopes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Add French, Italian, and the odd Lada and those were my domain. Oh yeah, Swedish too, but those were mostly after 1980. Saabs have the easiest clutch to replace. Give me ten minutes, but please don't pop it afterwards.

I forgot about Saabs. They lasted *forever*, even in the 80's. The first time I saw a Saab clutch I fell in love. Conversely, the first time I saw the access panel for an XKE starter I was taken completely aback. Thank goodness I never had to do one of those!

I didn't work on many French cars simply because there weren't many of them around. Citroens were very cool, though, if quirky and different.

Eventually, I found that software paid a *lot* better. Mainly work only on my own stuff these days. (As an aside, the Toyota engineer who decided to put the knock sensors under the V6 intake manifold deserves to be drawn and quartered.)

the Toyota engineer who decided to put the knock sensors under the V6 intake manifold deserves to be drawn and quartered.)
There's an easy way to change those.
Buy a Honda or a Ford. :D :D :D

As some of you might know from the EV thread, my new ride is a Mach eX. They call it a Mustang, but it's nothing like any 'Stang I've worked on. It's my all-time favorite car. No knock sensors, no EGRs, no oil leaks, and definitely no noise. I sneak up on animals now. :D

I didn't work on many French cars simply because there weren't many of them around. Citroens were very cool, though, if quirky and different.
My family owned Renaults. I half-owned a Peugeot for a month until we sold it. I've always wanted to own a Spitfire (not the plane). I loved sitting on the front tire to work on the engine. Beat the hell out of bending over a fender.

There's an easy way to change those.
Buy a Honda or a Ford. :D :D :D

As some of you might know from the EV thread, my new ride is a Mach eX. They call it a Mustang, but it's nothing like any 'Stang I've worked on. It's my all-time favorite car. No knock sensors, no EGRs, no oil leaks, and definitely no noise. I sneak up on animals now. :D

The local Honda dealer annoyed me in more ways than I thought possible. The next nearest place to get OEM parts the same day is 40+ miles away. So I bought a Toyota. The dealer's OK but, like Samsung, Toyota thinks they know what I want things to do and how they should act, and they're wrong. Honda does a much better job with that aspect of things but then there's the local dealer. Thinking the next large vehicle might actually be a Chevy Traverse. (We're keepin' our BMWs until they pry our cold, dead fingers from the steering wheels but we park them in the winter. They're find in snow, but there's all the salt.)

There's a strong possibility we'll relocate. Then I might go back to Honda.

For local trips it's probably hard to beat an EV. For longer ones hybrid and IC engine power still rule.

I love Toys. I love Hondas more. Fords are fine, but this Mach eX is a hoot. A 320 mile range is about all I want to do in a day's drive. 4 cents a mile for the fuel if I charge at home. Nine to twelve cents if I have to go commercial. I've owned GMCs, a Nissan, a Datsun, an AMC, and even Chryslers. Friends shouldn't let friends buy Chrysler. I would like a Maverick Hybrid. Well, I would rather have a Ridgeline if they make it into a Hybrid. I need a truck around here, in addition to my Pony.

I love Toys. I love Hondas more. Fords are fine, but this Mach eX is a hoot. A 320 mile range is about all I want to do in a day's drive. 4 cents a mile for the fuel if I charge at home. Nine to twelve cents if I have to go commercial. I've owned GMCs, a Nissan, a Datsun, an AMC, and even Chryslers. Friends shouldn't let friends by Chrysler. I would like a Maverick Hybrid. Well, I would rather have a Ridgeline if they make it into a Hybrid. I need a truck around here, in addition to my Pony.

My grandfather was once a Nash (mutated into AMC) dealer and then a Datsun dealer, and I grew up around the dealership, especially the shop. (Should have paid attention to the front office but....) I still own two Nash blankets!

Don't get me started on the Chrysler. It was a family gift I couldn't gracefully refuse. However, the Dodge chassis on our '76 Southwind motorhome with its 440 engine was absolutely bulletproof. I also like Hondas better after having also owned 2 Toyotas, have owned a Chevy or two (one was a motorhome chassis, does that count)?, several Datsuns, a Volvo, and a couple of Nissans until they mucked up their middle of the line; then I got an Accord. We even had that rare bird, a Nissan Van, which was actually great despite the recalls that led Nissan to buy it back at 150%+ of book, an offer we couldn't then refuse.

Don't get me started on the Chrysler.
I've never replaced so many evap cores on any other brand. The sludge that came out of them led me to believe that they didn't do much more than a five minute evac, if that.

FWIW, Mercedes, BMWs, Opels, and some VWs have that horrible old Euro-Leather stench. I just can't get past that rancid English Leather Cologne smell. Yeesh! While Morgans, early MGs, early Triumphs, and Rolls have that wonderful old wood scent, like an old church or library. Of all the Datsuns, the mid 60s SPL311s were my favorite. You could smell the tire in the trunk, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom