Canister lights and interference with AI transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have tested my D630, pretty much spent a whole dive trying to get it to drop signal. Unless the cord is deliberately laying right over the face or next to the dc it's fine. With it in very close proximity I can get the signal to drop out. The dc (in my case Perdix) will flash orange and say "no comms" (I think that's what it says), but in between flashes it will still show the last read psi.

This was all with the light worn on my right and dc on my right (I don't dive this way, always primary dc on right, light on left). Even with the light on my right the signal wouldn't drop out, it was only when I had the cord too close. If I was diving without trying to force it I don't think I'd ever see an issue.

@lukeb was interested in this dilemma a little while back. Glad to see other people's experiences as mostly a non issue also.

Shameless plug, I can get a pretty good deal on the D630 lights if anyone is interested. It's not the absolute best can light out there, so do your research and see if it works for you and your diving.

I would assume the newer LED lights are far less capable of interference than the HID. I have found the swift to drop comms often at the beginning of a dive which was never an issue later once you acknowledge the loss.

Not many manufacturers still use HID lights. Most have switched to LED.
I doubt Orca still uses HID.

Back
Top Bottom