Best Dry Glove Ring System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ordered my Kubi setup and received it last week. I ordered 80mm rings with XL gloves. What I received was 100mm rings and XL gloves.

Today, I received a complete new kit with all the correct parts.

Of note:

The second kit was drop-shipped directly from the US importer/distributor, as opposed to the first kit coming directly from the US retailer that I ordered from. Both kits had black rubber gloves. But, the gloves in the first kit were black on the outside, white(-ish) on the inside, and were printed as "9.5" on the inside (apparently, the size). Those fit me really well. Snug over the liner gloves, but not too tight. Just a tiny bit of extra length in the fingers. The gloves in the second kit are black on the inside and out. They are printed on the outside with "“POLYCO CHEMPROTECT SC101/10 10”. Apparently, size 10. And the rubber feels just slightly thicker. These gloves are much larger on my hands. I really don't like the fit of them at all. Way too much loose material around the fingers. I got permission from my vendor and have swapped the gloves around so I'm keeping the first gloves with the second kit and returning the rest.

The first kit had dark blue liner gloves with red stitching around the cuff. The second kit has lighter (but still dark) blue liner gloves with black stitching around the cuff. The lighter blue gloves feel a little thicker and also seem noticeably warmer. And they seem to fit my hand better. No loose material around my fingers at all and no extra material at the end of my fingertips.

And, boy! The 80mm rings are SO nice! The 100mm rings just seemed huge! I'm 6' 1", 220 #. I wear gloves all the time for riding motorcycles. I typically wear L or XL motorcycle gloves, depending on the manufacturer. With this blue liner glove on, I can just slide my hand through the glove ring. It is what I consider to be pretty much the perfect fit. If the ring were any smaller, I could probably still get them on, but it would be tight enough that I'd be worried about a circumstance where my hand was a little swollen and I couldn't get them off. And any bigger would just make them bulkier than they need to be.

I am really glad I went to the trouble to print out the Kubi template and use it to cut out some holes in a piece of cardboard and test fit myself. Without that, I probably would have ordered the 90mm rings, to be safe. The 80mm rings seem to fit me pretty much exactly as the cardboard template did.

I ordered this stuff from DRiS (Dive Right in Scuba). They were awesome. It was kind of a bummer that I didn't get the correct rings on the first go-round, but shtuff happens. What separates the good vendors from the less-good is how they deal with it when shtuff does happen. And DRiS was awesome all the way through. Thanks again to Mike, Mike, Chris, and Terry!

Here are some pictures of my hand with the dry glove on and the new(er) liner glove.

2015-10-21%2013.47.19.jpg

2015-10-21%2013.48.55.jpg

2015-10-21%2013.48.21.jpg

---------- Post added October 21st, 2015 at 02:40 PM ----------

After attempting to press the glove and cuff rings together, I believe I do need to lube the o-ring on the glove rings. I have a bit of silicon o-ring lube that came in an order from DGX a while back. Is that appropriate lube to put on these o-rings? Or is there something better?

Silicone grease is fine. They are very tight initially but do loosen up after a few dives. I think hey must have re sized the O rings though as I got some replacements and the new ones required no grease and the gloves connected to the cuff rings very easily, so easily in fact I was worried they would leak but leak they did not. Who is the US distridutor?

---------- Post added October 21st, 2015 at 04:44 PM ----------

Sorry, it's early, comprehension fail, I see you ordered 80 and were sent the 100 in error.

Last edited:
Silicone grease is fine. They are very tight initially but do loosen up after a few dives. I think hey must have re sized the O rings though as I got some replacements and the new ones required no grease and the gloves connected to the cuff rings very easily, so easily in fact I was worried they would leak but leak they did not. Who is the US distridutor?

I'm not sure who the distributor is. I guess they don't have an exclusive arrangement anyway because I believe DRiS has been getting their stock directly from Kubi. But, they went to the distributor to get me taken care of to prevent it taking too long.

Yeah, was just confused as to the best of my knowledge there is now only one worldwide distributor and they are UK based. Thanks for the clarification.

I sprang for a pair of the Kubi's and will report back on how they work whether that be good, bad or indifferent. There was a slight delay of a week or so in the supply chain. Not long enough to worry about. I'll probably be using them with the Atlas 660s.

I sprang for a pair of the Kubi's and will report back on how they work whether that be good, bad or indifferent. There was a slight delay of a week or so in the supply chain. Not long enough to worry about. I'll probably be using them with the Atlas 660s.

Youll love them I'm almost positive, I'm pretty picky about my dive gear and am hard to please but love my Kubis. If you are going to use thicker gloves such as Atlas or Showa ensure they have no internal seam. Fitting thicker gloves is a little more difficult the first time but becomes very easy, I can now do in a couple of minutes. Let us know your thoughts. If you need any help just PM me. Cheers.

Just thought I would add my 2¢. I've been looking at the Kubi's for a few years and kicked myself for not buying a set before Peter began to use the UK distributor. I had measured using Kubi's hand size printout and the 9mm ones seemed the best. I should note that Peter or anyone else from the manufacturer never did reply to emails or Facebook messages, so I can't speak to quality of customer service.
This spring I happened to be in Prague and found a dive shop carrying them. Paid roughly €100 for a 90mm set (not the fitted ones) with the case and installed them myself. This is the first pair of Drygloves I have owned (can't believe I waited so long), so I'm not able to compare them to other brands and I don't have a lot of dives with them, but I love them. The liners that came with them (the standard blue ones, same as Stuart's picture) work well, they are a bit snug under the outer gloves but not too tight. The install was actually quite easy and they haven't leaked or popped off. In hindsight I probably could have made the 80mm set work but I'm not unhappy with the 90mm set (I'm 6'1 and about 210lbs). The 100 mm set must be huge.
I use a small piece of neoprene under my wrist seal to keep the gloves equalized, no problems there yet.
I am a little worried about the availability of replacement O-Rings in the future, so I will probably order a few sets now, but I've been stung with obsolescence too many times in the past.

I'm an avid supported of Mike at DRIS, but the price seems a bit high. Maybe they will drop during a Black Friday sale (hint hint...).
All in all they seem like a great set and they seem better built than the half dozen or so other options I've been able to handle but not try out.

So I am hoping to get the fitted system installed on my 4th element kevlar suit, but I was bummed to hear that 4th element won't install the Kubis because they don't have any experience with installing them (per the email I got from them today). I was thinking of having them send me a suit with unfinished sleeves so I can have someone else (like DRIS, perhaps) install the rings, but I'm worried about this being a problem with the kevlar. Anyone install these on a kevlar suit, or know someone who has?

I just ordered the viking bayonet system for my new dry suit. We'll see in December how that works out.

Just spoke with Ed from Divers Cove LLC in Essex CT at DEMA today. Not only do they install these in the kevlar suits, but they had Kubi glued in rings on display...and I found out I can actually fit (*comfortably*) in the 80mm rings...Kubi system, here I come!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom