Best diving computer on the Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I have been diving for awhile with Advanced Padi certificate going for My rescue certificate , now i took decision to start buy my gear.

I window shopped and I like the Suunto Dx titanium (budget available ) ,

I need recommendation and some reviews on Suunto DX , shall i go for it?

Buying a dive computer is like buying a car, everyone has their favorite makes, algorithm too conservative no big deal as you seem to be a recreational diver, I use the Eon Core, easy to read, light, good button size, can upgrade, charge while downloading dives on computer, more than I need but very easy to use and read

I replaced the Alkaline AA with an Energizer Ultimate Lithium and after 10 hours of dive time + another 3-4 hours of estimated runtime during intervals etc., the battery indicator is still full and the battery voltage reads 1.7V. Brightness set to auto.

One Li battery should last around 50-70 hours in the Perdix. Just buy a 4 pack and keep three in a zip bag in your gear bag and you are set for a very long time.

Not having to charge the thing before a dive day is the main reason for not picking the otherwise fine Teric.

I have owned the Edge, Zoop, Zoop Novo, Perdix AI, and Teric. For my type of recreational diving, the Teric wins hands down. Not even the Perdix comes near.

My Teric GF is set to 99/99, and the home screen is configured to display Surface GF. I maximise my NDL with GF 99/99, yet I can surface on any GF that I choose (usually 70). Works for me.

I do love my Suunto computers but I have to admit, when my D6i recently needed a new battery it took them two $%^&*&^%#$% months to get it back to me. I've been seriously looking at the Shearwater dive computers and they look really sweet. Which is the best Shearwater for tech diving and which has the most options for different gas mixes beyond air and EAN?

Hi Biker,

I spoke with Richard at Dive-Tronic, LLC. They perform warranty and service work for Shearwater in Washington State. He told me that he must turn-around a Shearwater in 5 days. Not 2 months.

He told me to be careful changing o-rings on the battery cap as a metal pick can scratch the mating surface causing floods. Use your fingers only. (Not applicable to Teric or the Nerds)

He also said that leaking dead batteries are a problem. He said that a person can leave the battery out of the unit for long periods and not affect the memory. You will have to reset the date and time. Back-up your dive log to a tablet or PC just in case. It is really easy.

He recommended the Ultimate Lithium batteries as they don't leak nearly as often as an alkaline when drained (if a person forgets and leaves a dead battery in the unit).

I will follow his advice with my Perdix, and I should never have to test the 5 day turn around rule because of a battery issue.

Shearwater keeps hitting home runs!

Two months is ridiculous.

Dive on,
markm

I currently have a Suunto Hel02 and have had troubles with it (downloads, lost connections)...so I plan on getting the Shearwater Perdix AI. I have heard the Terex is wicked and the one i looked at was but like my Hel02 I dont like the watch style as much as i thought i would so am leaning favoribly towards the Perdix AI. Love theat layout and fuctionality

Back
Top Bottom