Best diving computer on the Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgive me for my ignorance, and it is my very first post here on the forum, but Kikoz is just starting out to getting his own gear, and he's an advanced diver, which basically means that he probably has no clue about Tec Diving.
So a Shearwaters VPM-B vs whatever is probably beyond his knowledge. Of course I could be wrong.
Suunto is fine for his level, and even better for me the Cressi Giotto which also gives him 3 Gas Mixes (well 2 Nitrox) which can keep him happy until Tec 45.
Given that Kikoz posted about a Suunto DX titanium (cost of about £800 IIRC) there is not much of a cost to upgrading beyond that to "the next level" which I would consider to be Shearwater, OSTC (might be a good choice for anyone outside the US) or Ratio.

I do have a Giotto, which I would agree probably has virtually all of the features I will ever use but for usability the Perdix beats it hands down. For low vis (UK diving or night dives abroad), the clarity of the screen on the Perdix is in a completely different league to the Giotto (the Giotto requires the holding of a button to activate the backlight which is difficult during ascents/descents/ use of a DSMB etc). I could read the screen of an LED/OLED at about 5m away whereas I was straining to see my Giotto at wrist distance).

Add in the battery changing (trouble free - I do as one of the posters above suggested and bought a pack of 4 Energiser Ultimates so have one in and three spares), the compass, customisation etc as well as an algorithm that has been scientifically proven to work in numerous studies (RGBM, VPM-B etc have not had the same level of scientific testing from my research and are proprietary which makes it harder to align multiple computers)..

Yes, the SW, OSTC, Ratio type computers come at a premium cost but I decided it was well worth it for me.

Forgive me for my ignorance, and it is my very first post here on the forum, but Kikoz is just starting out to getting his own gear, and he's an advanced diver, which basically means that he probably has no clue about Tec Diving.
So a Shearwaters VPM-B vs whatever is probably beyond his knowledge. Of course I could be wrong.
Suunto is fine for his level, and even better for me the Cressi Giotto which also gives him 3 Gas Mixes (well 2 Nitrox) which can keep him happy until Tec 45.

Hi pirategeorge,

Welcome to Scubaboard!

I am not a tech diver. I have a tech 40 cert, but yeah, I am not a tech diver.

My Perdix is set to Rec Mode. I have a Rec Nitrox Mode manual. I haven't read the tech manual for the computer. I don't need the tech manual because I am too cheap to buy trimix gas for dives to 130 fsw. Their is a definite line of demarcation between the rec mode and tech mode.

As others have posted, the computer is customizable to your preferences.

Another poster wrote that he recommends that his students buy either a $300 or less computer, or splurge and buy the Shearwater. He wrote, don't waste your money on a $500.00 +- computer. You would be wasting your money.

Thanks,
markm

Thank you all for welcoming me to the forum!!!

You have all made some very good points regarding the advantages of the Sheerwater and compared to the Suunto DX titanium, Shearwater is the logical choice between the two, and actually in Greece the Sheerwater is cheaper than the Suunto DX titanium.

To my opinion, if the diver is not venturing into tec, the less expensive computers are more than fine and I always recommend to purchase two computers and always dive with two computers.
I can not count how many times I have encountered computer malfunctions during the dive.

My recommendation is to purchase two computers. If money is not an object, then two Shearwater computers would be ideal, but they are overkill for an AOW diver.

After 23 years of diving I decided to finally venture into Tec and just started the Tec 40 course.
After a long research, I have also concluded to the Shearwater Perdix as my next purchase.
The Shearwater is a necessity for me now, but the last 23 years with several "cheaper" computers I've been very happy. I started diving with slates, and my first computer purchase was 1998 with the Captain Cochran, which still works but unfortunately is hanging at the wall at my dive center keeping company to its buddy an old Aladin.

And for rec dives I will still continue to use the Cressi Giotto which even if I bang it up, it won't burn a hole through my wallet. And my Giotto has logged 1707 dives with no issues and user replaceable batteries.
As a backup I use the Suunto Vyper in my console and often have even a third computer the Cressi Leonardo on my other hand (left arm) mostly for monitoring ascent rates when my arm that my primary computer is strapped on (in my case my right arm) is used for something.

That happy you have to wear two because they always sh1t themselves?

I wouldn't say that. I have 4K dives with no DCS symptoms ever. Job well done! Isn't that the reason we use computers?

Using a Ferrari to commute to work in busy streets gives you no more advantages than commuting with a Toyota or Ford or whatever else cheaper model car.

Of course that's my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like...
Everybody's got one!

Why buy a Ferrari now then?

Then why buy a Shearwater for diving to 30 meters as an AOW or even 40 meters if you get your Deep cert.

And the diving style of Rec divers where the chances of banging your computer again a rock or scratching it are far greater than Tec divers where besides their training and rig configuration being more demanding, they generally perform more controlled dives.

And one last thing, because I think this subject is pretty much overanalyzed, when I see a Rec diver in my dive center with Tec gear, or something like a Shearwater, and having about 100 dives or less, I immediately assign someone to watch them, as I see the potential danger of someone that may push beyond their limits and training experience. Obviously you get a sense of the diver based on their personality, and at least not all diver will exhibit reckless behavior, the rule of thumb though is that often when given the chance, the rec divers with tec equipment will attempt to participate to dives beyond their training.

Using a Ferrari to commute to work in busy streets gives you no more advantages than commuting with a Toyota or Ford or whatever else cheaper model car.

Not quite. Although the analogy is suitable. The nicer interior, sound, and potential of the F are like the nicer features, screen technology and future-proofing of better diver computers. Sure you can arrive in both, but the journey is different.

I also disagree with the double computer approach. Correct usage means you pretty much know what the computer would tell you due to frequent consultation, should it fail mid-dive, the result is the immediate ascent, alone conservatively or ideally with your buddy's computer, and the backup a general dive status and plan awareness in your head. I'd much rather recommend a new diver to buy the best computer he or she can afford vs two lesser models with the same budget.

Then why buy a Shearwater for diving to 30 meters as an AOW or even 40 meters if you get your Deep cert.
Thanks for answering my question with a question.

And the diving style of Rec divers where the chances of banging your computer again a rock or scratching it are far greater than Tec divers where besides their training and rig configuration being more demanding, they generally perform more controlled dives.
Seriously?

the rec divers with tec equipment will attempt to participate to dives beyond their training.
What a load of crap!

Even if the Shearwater is never taken out of Rec mode, the list of reasons to want one is as long as your arm.

Back
Top Bottom