Best diving computer on the Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you plan on leading groups I would say go with Suunto and their current algorithm. Being very conservative, you are in little danger of running others in your group into the red. Perhaps if you go with another brand you could utilize GF or conservative factors.

Unless it is the first dive. I am diving a Teric and the Suunto Cobra 3 side by side. Both are set to default conservatism, on the first dive the Teric has 5-10 minutes less no stop time. OTOH on the second dive the Teric has 10 more minutes of no stop time.

re: the Teric's battery life.

For me, 4 days of diving, 3 dives/day, using AI, max brightness, messing around with it (not using it as a watch), 9 hours dive time and consuming only 75% of a battery is more than ok.

Another diver did 9 hours of dive time, used it as a watch, max brightness, and only ate 44% over a week long trip. Link to that thread: Teric battery life

If you use it as a watch, have AI on, max brightness, 3 dives/day, then I guess you should charge it after the second day, because by the end of day 3 the battery will be low. To me, this isn't a biggie as it outperforms my phone.

And in 2021, SW will probably have a battery upgrade available at some nominal cost which will double the performance.

Another vote for the Perdix AI. Leaves no desires (other than having one for each arm maybe).

My solution for charging the Teric is in addition to carrying a normal wireless charger, which I also use to charge my phone, I carry a battery that has a wireless charger built into it. A slight annoyance, but I think it is worth it since I am basically a shaved ape, handing be tools to do something delicate on a dive boat isn't the best idea.

Without reading every post in this thread, I can say there is no such thing as the best computer. If there was there would be very little market for anything else. Each computer has its pros and cons.

For example the Perdix uses the ubiquitous primary AA battery, which many like, but this requires opening the battery compartment with battery change and keeping extra battery ready to change out after every dive. The rechargeable Li-Ion doesn't have these drawbacks but needs to be changed out likely by the dealer every few years.

Reactions: Jay
One can get 25-30 dives out of a AA battery in a Perdix, it should last the whole holiday.
Thanks for posting this. I was having difficulty understanding the attraction of a computer you needed to swap AAs after EVERY dive....

Thanks for posting this. I was having difficulty understanding the attraction of a computer you needed to swap AAs after EVERY dive....

I think @Hatul's point was that a Perdix owner might feel like they need to have a battery with them and ready, after every dive, in case that dive was the one where the Perdix gave the Low Battery warning. So they could swap a new battery in immediately - before the next dive.

However, my experience is that when the Perdix does say Low Battery, it still has enough juice left to last the rest of the day. So, though I do, I don't feel like I NEED to have a spare battery with me on the boat. And, even if I had the spare battery with me, I would not bother to change the battery while out on a boat. I would continue diving the Perdix for the rest of the day (after the Low Battery warning) and then swap it once back on land.

Caveat: I don't normally do more than 2 or 3 dives in a day. I suppose if someone were doing 4 or 5 dives per day and they were doing long (1 hour+?) dives each time, a Low Battery warning during the first dive of the day MIGHT mean it won't last through the entire rest of the day. I simply don't know.

For example the Perdix uses the ubiquitous primary AA battery, which many like, but this requires opening the battery compartment with battery change and keeping extra battery ready to change out after every dive. The rechargeable Li-Ion doesn't have these drawbacks but needs to be changed out likely by the dealer every few years.

I don't remember when I installed it, but the Saft battery currently in my Perdix is showing full, and I know I did 39 dives on it in Palau last September. It probably was the same battery used on the Cano Island trip in May. Why would you fool around with AA batteries in your Perdix?

Back
Top Bottom