Best diving computer on the Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NO dive computer is worth over US$250.00 if you are looking for recreational diving only.

What $250 computer would you recommend for recreational divers who regularly dive in quarries with 2 - 3 foot visibility?

I think a Teric is an excellent choice for that because of how easy it is to read. But, it is certainly more than $250. So, what can I get for $250 that will let me read my depth even if I have somehow found a non-responsive diver and am trying to control my ascent while also holding a reg in the other diver's mouth?

No it is just an operator who knows divers are responsible for diving their own parameters.
But of course, most of the divers have no clue about that and need a computer to tell them how to dive :)

And most of the rest need tables to tell them how to dive?

A few use Standard Gases and tables to tell them what ratio to use and then calculate how to dive in their heads (and hope they don't make an arithmetic error)?

And then there are the very few who actually KNOW how to dive, because they calculate the half-lives and work the Schreiner equation themselves?

A few use Standard Gases and tables to tell them what ratio to use and then calculate how to dive in their heads (and hope they don't make an arithmetic error)?
And then there are the very few who actually KNOW how to dive, because they calculate the half-lives and work the Schreiner equation themselves?
My point is that I think that a bit of proper knowledge helped by basic and cheap equipment is better and safer than cluelessness helped by expensive stuff.
For rec diving and even oc deco diving, no need to go into ratio deco, Schreiner equation and the other fancy stuff when you know you have so much limited gas to use.
It is just down to understand the relationship between 3 parameters.
The problem is that less and less people are conscious about that. Maybe training problem...
More and more people are like drivers and hikers with GPS, they let the machine overdrive their brain...
Computers are just a tool. yes some have more of this of that but basicaly they do the same job which is to validate that you already know because you have planned or because you built it by experience or because you have used fancy woodoo knowledge:)

What $250 computer would you recommend for recreational divers who regularly dive in quarries with 2 - 3 foot visibility?

I think a Teric is an excellent choice for that because of how easy it is to read. But, it is certainly more than $250. So, what can I get for $250 that will let me read my depth even if I have somehow found a non-responsive diver and am trying to control my ascent while also holding a reg in the other diver's mouth?
Yes i am sure the SW is perfect but you still can enjoy diving in 2-3 ft visi. It is done everyday all other the world by divers without the latest tools.
Personaly, i do enjoy that kind of dive regularly and, believe it or not i even navigate quite accurately with a non digital compass:)
But it is true, I sedom find non responsive divers :)

So, what can I get for $250 that will let me read my depth even if I have somehow found a non-responsive diver and am trying to control my ascent while also holding a reg in the other diver's mouth?

Depending on your technique (you are bringing them up horizontally from above now aren’t you? (*)) all of them or no computer at all. Having two cheap ones though will increase the chances of one being within sight.

It is a very tenuous arguement though, an extremely unlikely event which is likely to many more pressing problems that 7m/minute vs 15m/min.

(*) don’t try this at home unless properly trained. This is how I expect Stuart would have been taught on his MOD1. The casualty is horizontal, face down below the, also horizontal, rescuer, who uses the casualty’s buoyancy. If a regulator or loop had to be held in then the computer on that arm will be out of sight. It might be dumping the counterlungs, in which are it will also be out of sight. If you plan to be the casualty in such circumstances it might be best to wear a computer around your neck facing backwards.

A somewhat tenuous argument. While I don't dispute the advantages of havign a bright easy to read screen, in such a circumstance you do have the audible warnings to guide you. After all (for OC rec) you're not looking for the perfect ascent, rather than a safe one. Don't you agree?

Hi Stuart,

+1 man. Right on.

markm

NO dive computer is worth over US$250.00 if you are looking for recreational diving only.
Sunnto computer is best to be left on the shop for display ONLY.

Hi Centrals,

I dive a computer that is worth more than $250 because I "feel" it is worth the money. We are talking about a personal decision. At one point, this whole discussion becomes 100% subjective.

DD and StuartV have had the best objective arguments going. It is still a subjective decision.

I like my Perdix ai. I happily paid $850 for something that I FEEL is the best on the market (for me)!

cheers,
markm

A somewhat tenuous argument. While I don't dispute the advantages of havign a bright easy to read screen, in such a circumstance you do have the audible warnings to guide you. After all (for OC rec) you're not looking for the perfect ascent, rather than a safe one. Don't you agree?

I did my Rescue training in a low-viz quarry. My training was to get the victim and myself vertical, using my left hand to hold up their inflator, to dump gas during the ascent (possibly switching to my own, as well, as needed), and right hand reaching around to hold the reg in their mouth.

In that scenario, I could not see anything on my left arm at all. However, I could potentially see a computer on my right arm. However, I would not be able to press a button on it to turn on a backlight. Nor could I shine a light on it.

During the training, I could not see the bottom or any other visual reference points. I don't dive with a computer that gives audible alerts, nor would I be likely to ever try to use audible alerts as a way to control my ascent.

Because of the viz where I was, I could not even tell if I was ascending or descending - except by looking at my computer.

Thus, to ME, because I want to be prepared for the possibility of an emergency even during my somewhat-common diving environment of very low viz I feel like it is important for me to have a computer (even during Recreational dives) that is easy to read in low visibility, without having to press a button or shine a light on it.

"Tenuous"? Call it what you will. I think it is perfectly reasonable to plan and make purchases based on being prepared for emergencies, even if it's likely that you will NEVER encounter such an emergency in your actual diving. It's the same reason I carry an SMB and reel on every dive. I've never yet been blown off a wreck, but it could happen and I want to be prepared in case it does. Same reason I have an octo. I've never run out of gas nor had to donate to anyone else. But, it could happen.

"Tenuous"? Call it what you will. I think it is perfectly reasonable to plan and make purchases based on being prepared for emergencies, even if it's likely that you will NEVER encounter such an emergency in your actual diving. It's the same reason I carry an SMB and reel on every dive. I've never yet been blown off a wreck, but it could happen and I want to be prepared in case it does. Same reason I have an octo. I've never run out of gas nor had to donate to anyone else. But, it could happen.

Hi Stuartv,

My philosophy to a tee. I was thankful that I had a redundant PDC as my hp hose failed which was connected to an AI computer. My wrist mounted PDC kept me diving 30 minutes later.

Stuff occasionally happens to the best of us.

Right-on,
markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom