Best diving computer on the Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1.44" diameter makes 1.6 sq in, which is 67% of the usable surface area of a Perdix, or 55% of the OSTCplus, or 35% of the OSTC4. It should be obvious that a display somehow has to compensate for the fact that it is small. The fonts in the center are smaller, less data is shown, and/or the data is more densely displayed with less space inbetween.

You have to factor in resolution and contrast. I've not idea what the resp. resolutions are, I'm just pointing out that a 1.4" at, say, 640x480, can display exactly the same amount of information as 2.5" screen at 640x480. The only issue is whether the the smaller screen is sufficiently crisp to make the smaller glyphs visible -- all Teric reviews I've seen say it is.

(That said, for my diving I'd take an e-ink screen and 2 years battery life over either of the above any day.)

To the OP: the best computer on the market is 2 sets of Shearwater tables:
  • one is none, two is one, there must be two,
  • there is no computer but a Shearwater computer,
  • computers fail left and right, tables are forever.
HTH,HAND

I normally need +1.75 - +2 readers on the surface. I can read my Teric just fine in Standard mode (i.e. 4 rows of data, versus Big mode with 3 rows of data) with no gauge reader lenses to help.

Hi Stuart,

Bruce from Shearwater explained the readability of the Teric and Nerd screens. Shearwater has a patent on the screen mechanism that makes, especially the Nerd 2, so readable without reading glasses (I also use a +1.75 reader).

The Nerd 2 is crystal clear without reading glasses. I dived the Nerd 2 in Curacao.

I believe he said the patent uses a 100 or 1,000 foot focal point. o_O

As you can tell, I am struggling to recall what Bruce said. Something about the focal point and Shearwater has it patented.

cheers,
markm

Hi Stuart,

Bruce from Shearwater explained the readability of the Teric and Nerd screens. Shearwater has a patent on the screen mechanism that makes, especially the Nerd 2, so readable without reading glasses (I also use a +1.75 reader).

The Nerd 2 is crystal clear without reading glasses. I dived the Nerd 2 in Curacao.

I believe he said the patent uses a 100 or 1,000 foot focal point. o_O

As you can tell, I am struggling to recall what Bruce said. Something about the focal point and Shearwater has it patented.

cheers,
markm

I think that's only on the NERD, not the Teric. And I think it's a 12' focal point. I *think*. :D

1.44" diameter makes 1.6 sq in, which is 67% of the usable surface area of a Perdix, or 55% of the OSTCplus, or 35% of the OSTC4. It should be obvious that a display somehow has to compensate for the fact that it is small. The fonts in the center are smaller, less data is shown, and/or the data is more densely displayed with less space inbetween.
Ah yes, pi r squared not cake are square and pie are round. Dumb math error on my part.

Still, I’m pretty sure you’ve never dived one. Have you at least played with one? People will decide for themselves and based on reputation I’m guessing shearwater will continue to gain market share. In the end, I’m just happy that it’s what I chose and glad that Stuart convinced me to get a Teric instead of a second Perdix for my redundancy.

To all the guys who have been using the Teric for a while, how easily is the black case marked? And if it is scratched, is it silver underneath and really stand out?

To all the guys who have been using the Teric for a while, how easily is the black case marked? And if it is scratched, is it silver underneath and really stand out?
I can’t tell you since I haven’t put a mark on mine yet and I don’t baby my stuff, it’s likelyto shine through silver once it gets scratched because it is stainless, my old SOL was pretty beat up and it started picking up damage quickly.

No scratches here but a sharpie is my go to shiny hider.

I have the G2 with the rechargeable battery and the battery works great. Don't have to worry about opening the battery compartment and dealing with O rings and the battery is always full. The drawback is that in a few years the battery may need to be changed and it must be done by the dealer.

The main reason I went with the G2 over the Perdix AI is that, according to my understanding, the Perdix air time cuts out when you go into deco, whereas the G2 air time continues to work in deco mode and takes into account the time spent in mandatory stops. The G2 also provides handy Profile Dependent deep stops that tell you when you're starting to offgass.

I concede from my reading that Shearwater has better support than Scubapro.

I have the G2 with the rechargeable battery and the battery works great. Don't have to worry about opening the battery compartment and dealing with O rings and the battery is always full. The drawback is that in a few years the battery may need to be changed and it must be done by the dealer.

The main reason I went with the G2 over the Perdix AI is that, according to my understanding, the Perdix air time cuts out when you go into deco, whereas the G2 air time continues to work in deco mode and takes into account the time spent in mandatory stops. The G2 also provides handy Profile Dependent deep stops that tell you when you're starting to offgass.

I concede from my reading that Shearwater has better support than Scubapro.
Oceanic has had air time remaining, including all stops, deco and safety, for many years. I would love to have the same capability for single tank dives on the Perdix and on the Teric. I don't need this now as my Oceanic VT3 is still going strong at coming up on 9 years, 1270 dives. 1333 hours. Someday, I will need a new computer :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom