Best Dive Watch Ever...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like a Citizen Hyper Aqualand love fest.............had mine for 15 years. LOve it

Happy Diving

$6.95 Walmart Ironman Knockoff. :D

I had 2 decently nice "dive" watches, both took on water after using them. Then I picked up a Walmart special that lasted a hella long time, when it died, both another.

How about best VALUE dive watch ever? I think I'd say the Shark Hammerhead.

I loved the old one so much, I had to buy the newer version (not the Hammerhead 2, which doesn't go as deep)
1. only costs about $100
2. built like a brick
3. glass face is recessed down into the bezel so it doesn't get scratched (can't figure out why many more expensive watches never thought of this). the bezel itself is also big and easy to turn with gloves
4. rated to 660ft, and one of the few watches I've had, including more expensive dive watches, that didn't leak at 100ft or less
5. the crown is screw-down and offset so it doesn't bite into you're wrist
6. the indiglo button is easily pushed even with a thick neopreme glove

If I have some money lying around at some point I'd like to pick up a nice citizen, or if I tripped over a much bigger pile of money I'd snag a sea dweller, just for the coolness factor.

BTW, don't ever ever EVER buy a watch from a company called Sector. I don't feel like typing out why, but if you are considering them, just ask me why not to buy them. Fortunately you don't really see them in the US.

Austin

I have a Seiko self-winder that I have had for 10 years. Still works great. Can't download anything off of it though:)

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean
Model : 2201.50.00
Size : 42mm
Band: Stainless Steel Bracelet
Case: Stainless Steel
Dial: Black with Date
Movement: Self-winding chronometer, Co-Axial Escapement, rhodium-plated finish.
Power reserve: 44 hours
Crystal: Domed anti-reflective, scratch-resistant sapphire.
Depth rating: 600 meters / 2000 feet

Knock yourself out:

http://www.chronocentric.com/omega/seamaster.shtml

camshaft:
...BTW, don't ever ever EVER buy a watch from a company called Sector. I don't feel like typing out why, but if you are considering them, just ask me why not to buy them. Fortunately you don't really see them in the US.

Austin

Come on...what is soooo bad about Sector? My friend has a Nice Sector Dive Team 1000m, seems like a nice watch.

I use a Suunto Mosquito and absolutely love it. I used a Uwatec Alladin Ultra Pro before that and loved it as well. The main reason that I changed to my Suunto is that I wanted a computer that I could just leave on and wear all the time.

Yes, I know I could have worn the Uwatec all the time, but it was heavier and didn't give me time or date. :D

I'm a wanna be watch freak, but I'm still waiting for my well abused 10 year old Aqualand to quit before I commit to something like a Suunto D9.

My main dive watch is a Seiko 150m Quartz Dive Watch I bought in 1980. It's been on 400+ dives with me. It's presently in the shop, but should be ready for me to pick up this week. My backup is a St. Moritz Momentum M1 Pro SE that I bought a few weeks ago just in case the Seiko didn't make it. It's a nice watch as well, and much smaller/lighter than the Seiko. The Seiko has just been through a lot more with me than anything else I own; so it get's pride of place when it's back.

Xman:
Come on...what is soooo bad about Sector? My friend has a Nice Sector Dive Team 1000m, seems like a nice watch.

Well then maybe their really high end watches are ok. I had one of their chronographs which was rated to the usual 330 ft. It leaked at 40ft. I fought with their horrible customer service who tossed me between several different locations and phone numbers before getting to send the watch back to them. I then never heard anything back for a long time. I eventually got the watch back in an envelope saying it looked like I pressed one of the buttons underwater (which I hadn't even), so it wasn't covered by warrenty. After more pain and misery I agreed just to pay them to fix it to get it over with. So after more conversations with clueless people I eventually arranged to send the watch back. I later received it back, and water started accumulated inside the crystal while I was outside wet in the rain. I cursed my fate and threw the thing in a draw, and every once in a while take it out just to look at it, because it still is perhaps the nicest looking watch I have. Sadly, that's all it is.

If that wasn't enough, my brother had bought one the same time I had. After several weeks the crystal face was so scratched and hazed over that you had to hold the watch at the right angle just to see through all the scratches. Of course they said crystal scratches weren't covered under warranty. But can you imagine a watch getting covered with scratches and hazing so badly you can't read the face as well, and you can feel the roughness when you run your finger over it, simply through neglect of the owner in several weeks? I mean the thing looked like he took a brillo pad to a plastic burger king watch. Oh, and you could rub off the numbers on the bezel with your finger.

This was all about 6 years ago, so maybe they've changed, but I still can't help but hate that company. I know what happened to those watches seems hard to believe, and makes me sound like one of those people who loves to go around saying this product or that product is terrible just for the fun of bashing companies, but I really was trying to give that watch the benefit of the doubt because I was so excited when I bought it.

Austin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom