Best dive log software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron, good post and thanks. I was not aware of libdivecomputer, so I now have a way to burn a up this rainy saturday evening :)

I clearly see your points. So here is my (not so much of a demand, but a plea for the vendors to get behind a standard). I can only imagine how much of a beast supporting the download stuff must be for the manufacturers. Why not offload that to a more standardized sector and concentrate on making things work for all. Dive computers have been reliable and very straight forward for a long time, but the whole business of downloads, drivers, software, and ever changing things that are totally out of the control of the manufacturers must be a pain, like a whole seperate division of the biz. I think that some are selling the expensive cable to cover the software development and support but only have one foot in the door so to speak, it's not the core business and they aren't really doing a good job with it. There seems to be alot of people singing this tune, so I know it's not just me. It gives the manufactures a black eye in my opinion, even though their computers and service are otherwise spot on.

Remember the old Si-Tex lorans, bullet proof and always got you home, seperate radar and sounder, none of which talked to each other like they do today. Now we have onboard ethernet networks, etc and they have to work for the manu's to sell the stuff.

Seems like the dive industry is going this direction, time to embrace it I hope.

You make exactly the arguments we do- best to leave desktop software development to those who do it as a day job- it's hard to keep up with, and very remote from the embedded development needed to make dive computers. We tried to convince Atomic that they don't need to have desktop software at all, but should simply open up the interface to third parties who would do a better job. To their credit, they did agree to fully support third party developers and libdivecomputer, and they include the cable/ interface with the computer, but they felt they had to have their own branded software to be credible. I compare it to the download and photo editing software that comes with digital cameras- every vendor has their own. But they don't make it hard for Adobe or anyone else to access their files- even in native or RAW formats.

Perhaps as newer generations of dive computers come along that have better (and more standardized) capabilities for communications, this can improve. But so far as I know, Atomic is to date the only mainstream manufacturer to directly support independent dive log software.

Ron

Kudos to Atomic on this one! I can still understand why, due to conformity, they would feel the need to offer a branded solution since the others are doing the same, but I think smarter divers see through that.

The analogy to the image software is a great one! Pretty much sums it up. Download your raw from whatever camera, then fireup photoshop, or gimp or the like.

Another analogy might be: Proprietary or static deco alogrithms vs embracing a multi algorithm choice on a given computer, which seems to be the current movement.

Last edited:
I have been using Aeris computers for several years now, and I really love how liberal they are, but the Aeris dive log software is horrendous. What brand computers have great software to pair with?

I have always used the UATEK software and computer. You have to get a infa red reader do download the data but it is outstanding. YOu have a profile of your dives, you can point to any point on the dive and see your readings. Room for notes, categories for fish seen, buddys, weight used, just everything I use and more. Calculates SAC rate, shows max SAC rate, I can't say how much I love it.

Haven't owned an Uwatec but, I have friends that do and they like them (except for when they are diving with us Haldane fellows, but hey they are safer maybe). Not sure if they do the downloads, haven't heard any complaints regerding that.

I still see the need for a universal logging solution that is standardized. For instance, I like my air integrated hoseless computer (Brand A) for no deco rec dives and spearfishing, but might use a non air integrated trimix computer (Brand B) for another type of dive. That is exactly my issue now, I don't want to have to use two or in my case three software solutions to create a single log.

Could you please elaborate?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Yes, I can elaborate. From what I can see DivePal seems to be cloud based and requires online access and a login to log my dive from my computer. I want my data on my computer and only my computer, period.

Also, Looking at the EULA some things I don't like:
"5.2 All data on DiveNav's servers are subject to deletion, alteration or transfer."

"When using the Service, you may accumulate Content, objects, items, scripts, equipment, or other value or status indicators that reside as data on DiveNav's servers. THESE DATA, AND ANY OTHER DATA, ACCOUNT HISTORY AND ACCOUNT NAMES RESIDING ON DIVENAV'S SERVERS, MAY BE DELETED, ALTERED, MOVED OR TRANSFERRED AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON IN DIVENAV'S SOLE DISCRETION"

"6.2 DiveNav may observe and record your interaction within the Service, and may share aggregated and other general information (not including your personal information) with third parties."

"You acknowledge and agree that DiveNav, in its sole discretion, may track, record, observe or follow any and all of your interactions within the Service."

I did see a mention of new features that allow some local logging of dives, but I want them all local only all the time.

farsidefan1 , Do you have any experience with setting up dive logs from a Galileo, Luna on a mac, I'd really appreciate some input, have a macbook and ipad, does it matter which IrDa device I purchase? Is this just a matter of getting the right drivers for say an IrDa moschip (mcs7780)? even if the part is only 25 bucks, I hate spending money on things I can't use. Is Jtrak ok to log with? what about logtrack? Why does scubapro have two different dive log softwares?

......From what I can see DivePal seems to be cloud based and requires online access and a login to log my dive from my computer. I want my data on my computer and only my computer, period. ....... I did see a mention of new features that allow some local logging of dives, but I want them all local only all the time.
Thank you for elaborating.

We recently added the new feature to divePAL that allows local storage of logs. But, if you want to see your logs on multiple devices (PC, iPad, iPhone, droid smartphone) you will still need to go via the cloud.

......Also, Looking at the EULA some things I don't like....
The language in our EULA is quite common in the industry.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom