Best dive log software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bruce

Diving Log can sync with Android Dive Log from ShuffledBits. The data format is different, so not all data from Diving Log can be synced to your Android device. But the basic dive data will be available. You can try it with the free demo versions of both applications. Rob told me he is planning an update to support more data and better syncing.

Sven

Okay thanks. By the time I get around to making a purchase toward the end of this year or early next year it will most likely be good to go by then. If not I can always go with a Windows OS slate and I know things will work then. Bruce

Just an aside on Diving Log 5.0. I downloaded and tried it. It downloaded from my dive computer fine. Finally figured out how to switch to Imperial units. Everything looks good, but it lists my max depth as 324.8 ft and my min depth as 259.2 feet. Not sure what happened there, but that's obviously not correct. I probably went about 80 feet on my first 3 dives.

All I did was download from my dive computer and then tell the program to use Imperial measurments.

Let me preface this post with the fact that I like Oceanic/Aeris (Herinafter refered to as O/A, same exact thing, although their software refuses to acknowlege it, you can't use the O software with an A computer, I thought O was the universal donor???) computers for rec diving and their customer service has alway been FIRST CLASS, could not ask for better, Period!

However, their software is wacky wack wacked. I am an IT professional and deal with alot of annoying challenges with computer related stuff, all I can say is that the oceanic/aeris software and mainly the downloader presents a hell of a lot of grief for me, especially when you have an Oceanic and an Aeris computer in the same household on the same PC.
When it's working and I get a dive downloaded, I love the amount of information you can get from the profiles. Just having too much trouble with reinstall of drivers etc. Or things like, I download the dive then the main application comes back to the screen and the new dives are missing, so I have to close the software then reopen it to view the dives, and so on an so forth, latest version of everything is installed by the way.
Yes, I've tried working though this stuff with support, no luck.

I'll preface this part with, DiveLog is some nice software but didn't cure my immediate issue, I'm not writing it off yet, just disappointed that it didn't fix the main reason I bought it which is getting the downloads from my computers with all info in a mostly sane manner.

I finally gave up and bought Divelog 5.0 a few nights ago and it actually downloads the dives from both the Oceanic and Aeris computers nicely, EXCEPT, you don't get alot of the same infomation you would from the actual O/A software. Specifically, tank pressures at the sample points (trival I know for some of you, but I do some heavy working dives at times "with more conservative nitrogen profiles so please don't spin this" and like to go back and look at my RMVs under varying situations, even during different parts of a single dive, not a squared profile type analysis on the entire dive). The only way I get all of the data I want is to first use the O/A software then import into Divelog, at that point I see the missing information, but then I have to rely on the O/A wackiness. So there seems to be some limitation on the Divelog Universal Downloader. I do like the fact that I can merge dive data from most computers and other software into DiveLog :)

Can't we just get a standard or something (Like NEMA on marine electronics, or MODBUS protocol) where there is a standard, simple connection with a straight forward text based version of the data from dive computers, that can be used in various software?? There aren't that many parameters that need to be tracked. Or can we just get what would seem to be a very simple thing in today's technological world to work without a huge headache from individual equip manufacturers? It's a USB interface and some zeros and ones....

I'll piddle around with DivePal next I guess.
Open to any suggestions.

---------- Post Merged at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:19 PM ----------

I was told by Greg that you cannot connect any hardware directly to the iPad. It requires an Apple certified hardware adapter to connect a dive computer. The camera connection kit is not suitable for that. So this is more a hardware problem than a software problem. Until someone build a generic computer connector and certifies it at Apple, it won't be possible.

I once was an evangelical MAC head in the most severe way. However, their thick headed and expensive tendency toward proprietary hardware cured me of it in the mid to late 90s for good. I luv user replaceable batteries, and standard things like an HDMI interface with no $40 add on cable… Most people won’t agree, which is great! Because, I don’t buy their product but DO buy their stock :D

Last edited:
...Can't we just get a standard or something (Like NEMA on marine electronics, or MODBUS protocol) where there is a standard, simple connection with a straight forward text based version of the data from dive computers, that can be used in various software??...

Speaking as someone who designs dive computers, wouldn't that be nice?

Jef at libdivecomputer libdivecomputer, a library for communication with various dive computers. has been working in that direction in an open source project, however, dive computers all measure and track different things differently, you aren't dealing with an operating system or standards, so it's not easy. And most manufacturers still see download capability as something to be sold as an extra and guarded as proprietary. It doesn't help that the entire diving business is smaller than a speck on the balance sheet of the marine business.

Marine devices derive value from being able to talk to each other, so the motivation to establish standards was very strong. We (Atomic Cobalt) are supporters of third party software solutions and open source drivers like libdivecomputer. But there is no analogous organization to the NMEA in diving, nor is the industry large enough to support one. Best hope is customers demanding that manufacturers get behind the open source effort to have a universal PC interface.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom