Best dive log software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+ 1 for Mac Dive. Easy setup and very user friendly interface. Also great that you can try it before you buy.

Sent using carrier pigeons.

I have an aeris atmos 2.

I have tried all of the 'free' or trial software, and as a person who uses iPhone, iPad, pc and Mac, I am Disappointed with all of the software out there.

The best I have found is the 'dive log' for iPhone and iPad, the dive log for Mac, and the divelog5 for pc.

however,
there are features that are in one and not another, and the software is not intuitive enough.

When I was out on the dive site the other day, I took a gps position of the site for my reference"and because my dive buddy doesn't usually share well...

When I got back and sync'ed with the pc, and sync'ed with the I devices, it didn't share sites, dive gear, etc etc.

With programs such as Dropbox, Evernote etc etc, can't someone design a 'one app does it all'

This was further compounded when I recently upgraded my iPhone, and lost all of the dive sites that I had on my iPhone.

end this frustration... Please.
p.s.

I can understand your frustration, but I think you need to focus on the cause of the problem. Let's start with your last issue first - losing your dive data when you upgraded your iPhone. That was, more likely than not, because you did not have secure backup enabled in iTunes. Simple backup does not store most internal app data. I have upgraded both iPhones and iPads, and never had an issue with app data, including Dive Log data, so long as secure backup had been enabled.

Now to your broader issue - the absence of "universal" software primarily results from the fact that there is no universal dive computer. I worked with Nick Shore of Macdive (meaning that I sent him data - I'm not a programmer) to get his software working with the Mares Icon Net Ready. I've also communicated extensively with Mares and their outside programmer to get their proprietary software working properly on a Mac. It still doesn't. The point is that a "one size fits all" software solution is just not possible given the variety of hardware out there. I can tell you from my experience that both Macdive and Dive Log are outstanding programs, and I use them in conjunction with no problems. Macdive synchronizes with the IOS version of Dive Log, but not quite as thoroughly as Dive Log for Mac, probably because the latter is also made by the company that makes the IOS version. So, I download my dives into Macdive, and then import them into Dive Log. Synchronizing with iPhone and iPad is then seamless, and everything transfers, including coordinates.

Hope this helps.

I really like Dive Log. It downloads from my Cobalt without any problems at all and synchs well with my iOS devices too. A great piece of software.

Data loss aside, (it doesnt worry me because I did not want to upgrade the phone) - I wanted a clean install.

The issue is that there is no standardised format for archiving data, this 'synchronise data' bit is good for a casual user, but for me wanting to combine dive computer data with dive log data, dive site data, and have one set of gear, rather than having to input it on every single device (in order to make it standard).

I would be happy to lend my time and expertise to dive software writers to assist them with data formats etc.

I mean really, a gps location is a gps location, gear is gear, etc etc, would it really take that much longer to program an intuative software that updates using Dropbox or some other 'virtual host' as the central point of data storage.

Have a look at Keypass and keypass mobile.
they have managed to use the dropbox as a central repository for info.

Dont mis-quote me here, I am not complaining, I am begging for some sensibility.
Whether or not it downloads from the device I understand, and possibly this is a chance for the dive industry to respond and set some standards.

I am sure computer manufacturers would be overjoyed at the prospect, just think, if you were looking for a computer that adhered to the 'formal standards' wouldnt it promote computers that adhered??

---------- Post Merged at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:29 AM ----------

It is far easier for me to use PC than macbook, but i might have to be forced to use it until divelog 5 is updated.

Hi hobiediver

I'm the developer of Diving Log 5.0 for PC and I'm working closely with Greg (iOS Dive Log). Both applications share the same data format and thus all data is synced accross all devices (PC, Windows Phone, Dive Log Manager on Mac and iOS Dive Log). When you capture a GPS location on the iPhone, it will be synced to the PC and displayed there. From here you can sync to Android and Windows Phone and it also shows there. You can also combine data entered on the phone later on with data downloaded from a dive computer. In Diving Log you will also find a Dropbox and Skydrive sync/backup, so everything you were asking for is there. Some data is not yet displayed on the iPhone Dive Log, but the data is not lost and stored in the logbook and I'm sure it will be also displayed in the future. Feel free to contact me or Greg if you have still problems, but normally everything you described should be working.

I use Diving Log 5.0 on my PC, iPad and iPhone and it works great. I do the downloading on the PC and then sync to the devices using my wifi connections. I've never had an issue with it, and can only wish for one more feature. If I could get rid of using Oceanic's Ocean Log software and instead import dives direct from the PDC to the PC or iPad, that would be ideal. Divinglog, what are the chances of either of those happening?

I have the sync with Dropbox set in Divelog 5.0 and it seems to work well.
Now i just have to get the Iphone and Ipad software to use the same facility.

hey Divinglog..
is there any known issues with downloading Aeris Atmos 2 (silver buttons)?

I use Diving Log 5.0 on my PC, iPad and iPhone and it works great. I do the downloading on the PC and then sync to the devices using my wifi connections. I've never had an issue with it, and can only wish for one more feature. If I could get rid of using Oceanic's Ocean Log software and instead import dives direct from the PDC to the PC or iPad, that would be ideal. Divinglog, what are the chances of either of those happening?
The "Universal Downloader" in Diving Log is using the libdivecomputer project, which supports a wide range of computers, incl. from Oceanic. Take a look at it, maybe your computer is already supported (select "Downloader" from the download section).

I have the sync with Dropbox set in Divelog 5.0 and it seems to work well.
Now i just have to get the Iphone and Ipad software to use the same facility.

hey Divinglog..
is there any known issues with downloading Aeris Atmos 2 (silver buttons)?
Dropbox is currently not yet supported in the iOS Dive Log, which has to sync via WiFi (you can suggest it to Greg). The Aeris Atmos 2 should be supported by libdivecomputer and the universal downloader in Diving Log. But I recommend you try it yourself to be sure it works.

Thank you! I will try it later tonight when I am home. Any chance we will be able to download direct to the iPad using the camera adapter (USB to iPad)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom