bent bad in Grand cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miked:
...snip....

Regarding the "not diving again": that is the recommendation of the Doctor in GC. Her reasoning, as she explained it: Since you did nothing wrong, there is no "avoid doing _____,and you'll probably be okay", and "the next hit,
possibly "underserved", could be worse."
I will listen to the Doctor at home, but friends and family-who are really shook up about this-are putting forth strong arguments in favor of hanging up the fins.

again, thanks for the kind words.

Mike

Mike,

Sorry to hear about your hit. If I can suggest anything it would be to get yourself checked for a PFO before giving up.

R..

I was reading one my recent Alert Diver magazines that mentioned that topic. The diver involved is still diving, but is limited to less than 100 ft. and nitrox on all dives.

Curious though, if a PFO is involved... I thought that could be repaired. One of our members has had that procedure done.

Hey Mike
Thanks for posting this info. The info posted on Scubaboard by all people have been very educational for me.

I've dived similar profiles to these my self a couple of times. I guess I never gave enough thought to the possiblity of DCS after these dives. I certainly will watch for it more carefully in the future. However, I do have one question for you though. How much time had elapsed from you last dive until you decided to get checked out by the good doctor?

Hope you recover 100% and can continue to enjoy the deep.

Tom

I'm so sorry to hear about your hit and I'm glad to hear that you are recovering.

I'm a newbie and dive with tables. I may be out of place making any comment to someone of your experience, but when I try to use your profiles in my conservative Doppler tables, and I could not plan your profile as a no decompression dive.

Dive 1 could not be planned on the tables without extrapolating your group out to I. With your surface interval of 3.5 hours, you are then in group D and your time and depth of Dive 2 was the absolute maximum the table allowed.

After dive 2, you are in RG I and with dive 3, you have exceeded the no decompression limits of the tables.

This is rather sobering and I have not thought about the differences in computer algorithms, but it appears your computer is much more liberal than the Doppler tables I received in my SSI OW class.

Good luck and I hope perhaps this may have been of some help.

Susan

redhatmama:
I'm so sorry to hear about your hit and I'm glad to hear that you are recovering.

I'm a newbie and dive with tables. I may be out of place making any comment to someone of your experience, but when I try to use your profiles in my conservative Doppler tables, and I could not plan your profile as a no decompression dive.

Dive 1 could not be planned on the tables without extrapolating your group out to I. With your surface interval of 3.5 hours, you are then in group D and your time and depth of Dive 2 was the absolute maximum the table allowed.

After dive 2, you are in RG I and with dive 3, you have exceeded the no decompression limits of the tables.

This is rather sobering and I have not thought about the differences in computer algorithms, but it appears your computer is much more liberal than the Doppler tables I received in my SSI OW class.

Good luck and I hope perhaps this may have been of some help.

Susan

Tables assume square dive profile. (descent, stay at the fixed depth, accent) Most real life dives are not square, as his dives were not square.

Surprised no-one has asked what kind of computer you were using..............

This is, indeed, very sobering news, Mike. Your profile sounds very normal; I have had many such days, and some that pushed the tables a lot more than that.
Thanks so much for taking the time and emotional energy to talk to us about this.

Mike,

Not to make light of your situation, but I would add the story, (probably apocryphal) of the guy who used to go diving in Catalina. He had no idea what he was doing. Just put on the equipment and went diving. During one of his trips through the chamber, the troops found this entry in his logbook from a previous event. "Went diving yesterday. Got pretty deep. Woke up in the chamber. The chamber folks are really nice people. It was a great dive!"

Thank you for sharing your story! It is an important note of caution to us all.

I would echo the words of others, don't give up on diving yet. There are many things to check, and the folks at DAN can recommend the Docs and the tests.

Hang in there!

BJD

Lemonade:
Tables assume square dive profile. (descent, stay at the fixed depth, accent) Most real life dives are not square, as his dives were not square.

Yes, I realize that, and his first dive could not be planned on a table at all without extrapolating. What I want to know is that if you have a computer, does it warn you when you are pushing the edge of it's internal algorithm? And how safe is it to do so?

On this 3rd dive, it's interesting to look at the tables because there is a huge different in allowed time at 40 and 50 feet. Suppose he was in group H going into the 3rd dive. Using the max depth of 50 feet, he would be allowed 4 minutes with 66 minutes RT, but at 40 feet he would be allowed 43 minutes with an RT of 87. 10 feet seems to make a huge difference, but I have no idea why.

He also had no safety stop at the end of the 3rd dive. Would that have made a difference?

I think I'll dive "square" until I understand it better.

redhatmama:
Lemonade's reply to your post was right on the money. A table would not "permit" a dive to 96 ft. for 31 mins. the computers do allow that, because as lemonade said, computers do track the dive throughout, rather than a square profile. if you look at the info in the post where I included the profiles, you'll see that only 6 mins. were below 80', and only 2 mins. were below 90'.
Also: on dive 3 , there was a safety stop ,5 min at 15'.
(I just went back to my earlier post and saw that I had omitted that fact. I corrected that- a typing error,not a missed stop.)

ShakaZulu: I use an Oceanic Versa Pro. I realize that it is one of the more liberal computers, but I use the graphic display with the green-yellow-red zones to make it more conservative. FWIW I never got into the yellow zone-even on the first dive.
I did wonder if, despite my caution, the "liberal" algorithm had nailed me, but the diver behind me on dive #1 (as it was a "follow the leader dive", he did a similar dive) had a Suunto computer-a Vyper(?) if I recall-one of the more conservative ones- and it was not close to deco. It was on his laptop that I saw the "download" of the dive. Also, the Dr. and the head of the hyperbaric chamber reviewed the info,and said that there was no "error".

SueMermaid:I'm glad to hear that my "take" on the days dive profiles is at least consistent with what others have done.

In one way, it is tough to relate this information, but in another, it helps clarify things in my head. If it makes someone think a bit more, or be a bit more cautious,then it is for the best.

Take care,
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom