bent bad in Grand cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank You for posting this information. Funny how 90% of the post display some shock or disbelief at hanging up your fins. I have to agree don't list em on ebay just yet. I hope all goes well for you, take care, good luck.
P

Diver0001:
Mike,

Sorry to hear about your hit. If I can suggest anything it would be to get yourself checked for a PFO before giving up.

R..
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is a PFO

diverbrian:
I was reading one my recent Alert Diver magazines that mentioned that topic. The diver involved is still diving, but is limited to less than 100 ft. and nitrox on all dives.

Curious though, if a PFO is involved... I thought that could be repaired. One of our members has had that procedure done.

That would be me!

bluewatertoy:

It's a congenital heart abnormality - that usually doesn't bother people much, but leave a diver more prone to the Bends.

Use the Search, then Advance Search feauture for PFO in Dive Medicine and/or Dr Deco.

bluewatertoy:

It stands for Patent Formen Ovale. It's a hole in the heart between the left and right chambers. Everyone has it in utero, but in about 30 percent of the population it does not close up. For most people it doesn't matter (and almost all don't even know they have it unless they are looking for it-or have problems). For divers, the problems arises when nitrogen bubbles are able to pass into the chamber of the heart that supplies your brain. Not a good place for bubbles...!

For a bit more info, do a search on my user name and PFO. I wrote up a post about my condition and the surgery to fix it.

Dive safe!

PFO=Patent Foramen Ovale, http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=60

What Detroit Diver said is on the money.

Unfortunatly, with this condition, a sufficent amount of bubbles in the wrong chamber of the heart can have dire consequences as in the big sleep.

Mike, it doesn't matter if you dive again or not, as long as you live to a ripe old age. Hope the recovery goes well. Make the dive again decision after the emotion of the incident has gone away.

Several questions for you if you don't mind. Age? Are you overweight? Are you in good physical condition?

Wow. Fascinating stuff. And according to DAN:

"At present, most diving physicians agree that the risk of a problem associated with a PFO is not significant enough to warrant widespread screening of all divers."

Hell with that. I'm due for my yearly physical, and I'm gonna see what's involved in screening for PFO. Can't hurt.

mccabejc:

"At present, most diving physicians agree that the risk of a problem associated with a PFO is not significant enough to warrant widespread screening of all divers."

Hell with that. I'm due for my yearly physical, and I'm gonna see what's involved in screening for PFO. Can't hurt.

Here's what you can expect. First, they will probably do an echocardiogram w/ bubble study. It's a rough test (meaning it's not very accurate). If that shows some "promise" of a PFO, they will probably want to do a TEE- trans esophogeal echogram. Basically, they stick a big tube down your throat w/ an echo sounder at the end. They can get a much better look at the potential problem from there. My doctor put me out for this procedure-and I wouldn't have had it any other way!

mccabejc:

Couple of ways for doing it. Some better than others. The VA did mine after I got bent. Only took a year to get the appointment.

I had an sonogram the heart done with some sort of injection. Then you squeeze real hard and they see if any of the stuff they injected goes directly from one side to the other.

By the way, with a PFO, a small amount of bubbles, could be fatal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom