bent bad in Grand cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miked:
redhatmama:
Lemonade's reply to your post was right on the money. A table would not "permit" a dive to 96 ft. for 31 mins. the computers do allow that, because as lemonade said, computers do track the dive throughout, rather than a square profile. if you look at the info in the post where I included the profiles, you'll see that only 6 mins. were below 80', and only 2 mins. were below 90'.
Also: on dive 3 , there was a safety stop ,5 min at 15'.
(I just went back to my earlier post and saw that I had omitted that fact. I corrected that- a typing error,not a missed stop.)...

I did wonder if, despite my caution, the "liberal" algorithm had nailed me, but the diver behind me on dive #1 (as it was a "follow the leader dive", he did a similar dive) had a Suunto computer-a Vyper(?) if I recall-one of the more conservative ones- and it was not close to deco. It was on his laptop that I saw the "download" of the dive. Also, the Dr. and the head of the hyperbaric chamber reviewed the info,and said that there was no "error".

SueMermaid:I'm glad to hear that my "take" on the days dive profiles is at least consistent with what others have done. ...
Mike

By interpolating for us, the dive computers do "allow" us more dive time, in the case of multi-level dives.

You can plan or re-calculate multi-level dives with tables as well. In the case of your profiles, you would proceed like this:

Dive #1 Air to 100ft (rounded) for 2 mins;
multi-level to 90ft (rounded) for 4 mins;
multi-level to 40 ft for 20 mins;
safety stop at 15ft not counted towards NDL.

Surface interval 3:30

Dive #2 EAN32 to 50 ft (EAD 40 ft) for 38 mins;
safety stop at 15ft not counted towards NDL.

Surface interval 0:45

Dive #3 EAN32 to 50 ft (EAD 40 ft) for 39 mins;
safety stop at 15 ft not counted towards NDL.

Calculations:

2 mins at 100 ft = B
B diver to 90 ft = RN 7
7 min + 4 mins = 11 min at 90 ft = D
D diver to 40 ft = RN 37
37 min + 20 min = 57 mins at 40 ft = G

G -> 3:30 -> C
C diver to 40 ft = RN 25
25 + 38 mins = 63 mins at 40 ft = G

G -> 0:45 -> F
F diver to 40 ft = RN 61
61 + 39 = 100 mins at 40 ft

The NAUI NDL for 40 ft is 130 mins. So in a perfect world, according to NAUI tables (which are modified USN) you should not have gotten DCI.

Agreed. It looks like an undeserved DCI hit.

It also depends on good hydration, however. I find it difficult to believe that after a full day of diving on a boat in a warm climate for 3 dives in one day after travelling the day before, that you were indeed well hydrated. But maybe you were.

My friends who have ended up in the chamber did so only after several days of diving together with several nights of drinking. You only had 1 beer however. So in your case, it would not have been the beer, hmm, unles of course, like all wild party animals, you stopped counting after "one." :)

So I still suspect that dehydration was the culprit. Either that, or an unknown PFO. And if not, well possibly your younger days of pushing the limits of the tables are over, and you need to dive more conservatively, now. Food for your thought. Only you can decide this, for yourself.

miked:
Regarding the "not diving again": that is the recommendation of the Doctor in GC. Her reasoning, as she explained it: Since you did nothing wrong, there is no "avoid doing _____,and you'll probably be okay", and "the next hit,
possibly "underserved", could be worse."
I will listen to the Doctor at home, but friends and family-who are really shook up about this-are putting forth strong arguments in favor of hanging up the fins.

another possibility:

- stay above 60 feet
- dive nitrox on air tables/computer
- take it real easy with extended safety stops, particularly in the 10 fsw to 5 fsw range.
- get checked for PFO and get it repaired if possible
- if you're out of shape, get in shape

Mike;

I'm glad you posted this. I think a lot of new (and older) divers are learning from it.

I truely hope that you will be diving again.

Good luck mate!

Ontario Diver:
Mike;

I'm glad you posted this. I think a lot of new (and older) divers are learning from it.

I truely hope that you will be diving again.

Good luck mate!

I learned that I need to renew my DAN insurance!

Just in case.

Mike,

I'd also like to express condolences on the undeserved hit, and best wishes for the future. Hope you are able to dive again, under whatever conditions your doctor may impose.

And thank you for telling the tale. Its worth hearing again, for all of us. Appreciate your sharing the details.

Doc

Thanks Mike, your story really made me stop and think twice!
Sorry you had to go through such a horrible experience but if 1 person learned from it then this board and you have served a important service to us all. BUT somehow I think more than 1 person had the crap scared out of em after reading this thread. :scared:
It just goes to show that even when you follow the rules you can still get messed up pretty bad.
Thanks again for sharing your experience so that the rest of can maybe avoid a similar fate in the future.

Best of Luck to you and a speedy and complete recovery

WAC

Mike, best of luck in the future. I dive for a living, and have 4,900+ dives right now...many deep, and in some cases as many as 6 dives in a day....though 2 or 3 are more typical. I can't think of anything you did wrong/could have done differently. As far as I know, I've never been bent....but sometimes wonder about those little twinges & stuff, thinking it might just be old age, ha ha? Anyhow, sometimes things like that happen through no fault of the person involved. As you've said, you & many people have dived similar profiles before, and many will again....without a "significant" chance of being bent. But sometimes these things happen....
Anyhow, like some others have said, I hope that in the future you'll be able to at least do some shallow diving...lots of nice fish & corals to see there...personally I know a number of instructors who've been bent & continue to dive...more conservatively than normal, but they're still at it.

I'm so glad that you're doing better. I'm sure the hyperbaric team appreciates the praise.

I've seen S#!^ happen a couple times and it is scary for the dive staff as well. I hope you keep in touch with the dive operation to let them know how your recovery is progressing.

A couple questions:
Time between last dive and onset of symptoms? Any tingling/numbness? Denial? Did you receive oxygen as first aid? Any advice you could give a dive crew other than the obvious?

I looked back at the date of your incident. The day after your incident I heard radio traffic regarding another incident of suspected DCS. From the sounds of it, someone changed their mind and tried to cancel the ambulance. I think that your experience shows that just because all the rules were followed does not mean that DCS can be ruled out.

Rough experience, but I'm delighted you got good help, and DAN coverage, and are on the mend.

I dive with 2 Oceanics, and understand them pretty well. Even if you finished in the Yellow, you'd still be within Padi's limits, although their calcualtions are only similar - not identical.

Diving always in he Green, it was just underserved. Every body is different, and it sounds like you're more at risk, or at least were that day.

I'm curious, if you don't mind? Had you had 2 quarts of non-caffinated liquids to drink that day? Was any of it bottled or plastic bag treated water? Did you drink much he night before? If you don't mind my questions, I'd like to learn from the answers.

Mike:
I've 'known' you for a long time. So sorry to hear about this. Please know you are in my prayers tonight. I hope you're back to your old self soon. Please continue to hang around the board. :)
Take care my friend.
Love,
Natasha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom