Belize, 2 weeks, where to dive, and live?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flaski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking for info on the best place to live and dive. Where to go, who to see.
I am looking for an isiders point of view. People going are all very experienced divers, and dont want to do resort stuff just chilling and diving and get to know the area, may not leave.:cheers:

There are several places I could suggest, but I think you could be prime candidates for Thatch Caye. Superb local diving in areas little dived and little known. A small and very personal, yet highly professional, dive shop. All three atolls easily reached, offering more world-class reef diving experiences (virtually no diveable wrecks in Belize). A private island with not much to do other than dive, eat and chill out (in idyllic surroundings), but mainland trips organised and personally run every day, to suit (everything is bespoke). Not the cheapest place you can go to (by far), but for what you get it's incredibly good value. Look them up Thatch Caye Resort - A Handmade Resort off the coast of Belize.

If you want somewhere more mainstream and busier then give some pointers and I'll try to offer suggestions on Ambergris Caye.

I've heard that Belize is very "buggy". What is your take?

Do you mean small biting insects? If so, then I'd say "not very". Mosquitoes can be a problem on occasion, usually after rain, but tackled by public health authorities (because of the malaria and dengue fever associations) and rarely actually a great personal problem - at those times simply use a repellent on your body and they won't bother you.

Sandflies can be extremely bothersome on occasion, mainly in sandy areas within around an hour or so either side of dusk. I usually make sure I'm not on the beach or in a beach bar at those times. But again, a simple repellent will keep them off. They're not a health risk anyway, except for a very few hyper-sensitive people, and they should be protecting themselves anyway.

I agree with Peter's recommendation for Thatch Caye. I am actually here now. It is very laid back with personal service. No cattle boats here. No bugs to speak of either. It is the perfect place to dive and chill. Read my latest post about my diving here. Gary

Hi!
I stayed on Caye Caulker in Belize for 3 weeks last february and LOVED IT! It is much smaller and low key to Ambergris Caye, but is quite close to it. Rented a house with 4 of my diver girlfriends for $700 a week which as a mere $25 each per night. Small island with some tourist activity but many many divers. My only warning would be that it is a long boat ride to Turneffe Atoll which is where some of our best dives were, although I love the long boat trips, my friends did not (also, 3hours?? to the Blue Hole). We were diving with Belize Diving Services, and I had no complaints. I highly recommend Caye Caulker, and would definitely go back. Enjoy Belize!

I spent two weeks on Long Caye, Glover's Reef, Belize. There are two outfits on the island: Off The Wall dive resort, and Slickrock. The latter is an all-inclusive multi-activity program, principally sea kayaking, snorkeling, windsurfing, kayak surfing, etc. The former is just a dive resort. If you stay at Slickrock, you can dive, at additional cost. If you stay at Off The Wall you cannot join any Slickrock activities or use their equipment.

Both are great places run by wonderful people.

The diving is Long Caye Wall, a 5-minute boat ride away and all diving is from the boat. I don't believe there's any shore diving, though if you get certified there your "confined water" sessions are in the shallow water right off shore by the pier. Long Caye Wall is spectacular diving. My experience is limited, though, so I cannot compare it to much. Cozumel was wonderful, but did not come close. Because the dive sites are just minutes away, your surface intervals are spent on the island, unless you go on the extended whale shark dive trip, which I believe is seasonal.

There's nothing else on the island but coconuts. Both resorts provide all meals. Accommodations are very rustic. When I was there (February, 2008) insects were not a problem, though you should have bug repellent just in case. Sunburn is definitely a hazard.

I'm going back this December. I'll be staying at Slickrock because I want a variety of water activities, and one dive a day works well for me. But if you want to just dive, it will be cheaper to stay at the dive resort. They have several different packages. Jim and Kendra are wonderful people, and my instructor (Lucky) was infinitely patient with me. (I got OW certified there.)

If you stay with Slickrock, they'll transport you by boat from Belize City, 2 1/2 hours. I did not enjoy the boat ride out and back, but that's the price you pay. Off The Wall uses a shorter and more direct boat ride, but you have to get yourself to the little town they depart from.

If you can handle the rustic accommodations, the island is paradise. (I liked it enough to be going back.)

Daniel

For experienced divers, Thatch Caye is one of the only resorts in Belize that offers all three atolls (Lighthouse-Blue Hole, Turneffe, and Glovers) and that can get to all three of them in reasonable amounts of time. Local diving along our walls is spectacular and as good as anywhere in the country except perhaps Lighthouse Reef.

My wife and I are considering diving in Belize again. Several years ago we dove around Ambergis. We were considering Turneffe Lodge and now hear about Thatch Caye Resort. What are the pros and cons of each? We are looking for good diving, but want a nice place to relax between dives.

Back
Top Bottom