7-10 days in April - where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for suggestions. I'm an AOW with a long experience of diving, but I haven't spent any time in Asia. I'm a fit 52 yr old guy and I'll be traveling solo. I will be looking for a live aboard (preferably) or a diving-focused resort for 7-10 days in the first 3 weeks of April. My best diving so far has been in the Red Sea & in Bonaire.

I'm interested in Raja Ampat (but I think it's gonna be hard to find a spot), Komodo, the Tubbataha Reef, Sipadan, but I'm open to other suggestions. My must-have are (1) solid dive operations (experienced guides), (2) world class diving, (3) 3-5 dives per day. I'm in Seattle and ease of travel will be a factor too.

So I'm interested in suggestions both for broad areas and for specific operations. Thank you!

First time in Asia! Take it easy mate because everything is so different from your part of the world. It is eyes opening as well as challenging to a certain extent. Just remember Murphy's Law.
I do not think there is any NON stop direct flight from Seattle to Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand. However, Philippines Air Lines does has non stop flight from Vancouver to Manila.
Finding a LoB spot in this coming Apr would be difficult because of relative short notice. LoB tends to fill up months if not yr ahead.
Boat to Raja Ampat, Komodo and Tubbataha all involve domestic connection. Same applies to Sipadan.
Easter is at the beginning of Apr and so flight to Philippines around that time is expensive(huge demand).

This is my suggestion:
Land based:
"Dragon" is the added bonus. Unfortunately they only offer three dives a day but unlike LoB, you can extend your stay if there is vacant room available.
Arrive and depart through Bali. Time for more diving or bit of culture.

LoB:
Similan.
Phuket is NOT my favourite place in the Kingdom especially for diving ie day trip. Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe are so much better but do require extra travelling time.

Another accident!!

Not exactly first time in Asia, but yes, it's pretty new.

There are LoB spots available for Tubbataha, Raja Ampat, Komodo, the best of Thailand (Similan, Surin, Koh Phi Phi, etc) on the Junk's sister ship Phinisi, etc. So it looks like my options are still open. Scuba Junkies looks interesting.

@JDelage
Sky the limit if you want to keep your options open.

1. Best of Thailand should include Hin Daeng/Hin Muang, Koh Ha and couple in the East coast.
2. Koh Lipe is better on its own because of the distance.
3. Stay Raja Ampat: The best Raja Ampat accommodation & travel information source
This one is NOT everyone cup of tea.
4. If you like wrecks.
5. Bunaken + Lembeh
Transit through Singapore which is far more reliable.

Check the flight schedule first and please do not forget to allocate extra time for transit.

Quick update: also considering Puerto Galera. Yes, not as good as Raja Ampat or Tubbataha, but apparently still very good (especially for someone like me who hasn't been to many premium places) and probably much easier to get to.

Anilao(macro) + PG should make a very good introduction to diving in the country.
SB is going to invade PG soon for the 2nd time.

Alternative is Bangka +Bunaken + Lembeh in North Sulawesi.

Quick update: also considering Puerto Galera
Check out Asia Divers / El Galeon there's a few trip reports on that dive here on SB.

As @Centrals suggests, a combo of Anilao + PG is good, but you need at least two weeks and Anilao is primarily for macro critters, not sure if that's your thing or not.

I also agree with a possible trip to N. Sulawesi, Bangka has a bit more travel to get to than just Bunaken though, and while it's worth it, you really need to factor in travel time v quality dive time and timing of flights through various places etc., I for one don't do short transit stops even at efficient places like Singapore for fear of having my dive gear missing the next flight.

I'm limiting myself to 7-10 days and a single destination (to keep price & hassle manageable). I will build in a 1 day layover somewhere if I elect a liveaboard. I had a hair raising experience when I dived the Red Sea explorer and my bag didn't make it on time...

Since you mentioned about a hair raising experience of your bag didn't make it on time, I have similar situation with EVA Air from Houston to Cebu and from Houston to Jakarta. My bag stuck in Taipei on both times with 3-hour layover. So make sure to have at least 4-hour layover in Taipei.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom