Beginner diver thinking of switching to sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They have a nice SM mode which my Perdix still doesn’t have.

I am pretty sure Perdix AI has a SM mode that even lets you know when you should be switching tanks. This isn't even really new - 07-26-21 I guess less than a year old.

1651011489987.png

I am pretty sure Perdix AI has a SM mode that even lets you know when you should be switching tanks. This isn't even really new - 07-26-21 I guess less than a year old.

View attachment 719490
I think it's a good practice to learn to dive first w/o air integration. So you'd develop the muscle memory and not rely too much on the AI.

I think it's a good practice to learn to dive first w/o air integration. So you'd develop the muscle memory and not rely too much on the AI.
Ummmmm, ok. That has nothing to do with me simply pointing out that the Perdix does in fact have a SM mode.

But more to your point, I have no issue with a student using either SPGs or transmitters. I don't think either more inherently safer of "better" to learn from. That is a gear choice that makes no difference in the learning process.

I noticed that here a lot more people feel attacked when there is someone not agreeing with them.

I was just my opinion, on how I approached my own training and education.

There were instance where I lost battery in my computer and had to use a bottom timer, or a spare computer.

And since looking at SPGs on a sidemount is different than on backmount. It's my own opition that I need to know and have muscle memory how to check them.

That has nothing with the fact that perdix has sidemount mode.

AI is a shourcut which is IMHO not good to take when you're a beginner.

how is looking at a computer screen different from looking at an SPG- both indicate when to switch -if you want refer to 'muscle memory" id say be sensitive to changes in trim that should initiate a look

I noticed that here a lot more people feel attacked when there is someone not agreeing with them.

Wow, I was literally going to say the same thing. There is no attack here and neither do I feel attacked. I stated a fact to clear up a misconception about the Perdix AI not having an SM mode. I then expressed my "opinion" that the method for checking your remaining gas makes no hill of beans in the learning process. You simply need to learn the way you will dive. THEN, once you have learned in whatever fashion, you can augment your learning by adding a different approach to doing the same thing. Just because someone does not agree with you 100%, that does not indicate an argument.

I myself am new to the Sidemount world and I realize tat I have to find other SM to dive with. You learning process has to rely a lot of who you are diving with. You skills get honed if you dive with somebody who can mentor you. Diving is a mentoring sport. A rookie gains experience by diving with someone who is willing to share their experience and knowledge till the rookie gets their skills to a specific level that they can then turn around and help a a rookie learn the same skills. One has to be well practiced and knowledgeable to be able to teach/mentor a newer diver. I was mentored by people who were patient and knowledgeable about the sport. I have been an instructor since 1980. I had to find a SD instructor that fit my needs and found him after a year long search. I decided to learn SD because of the logistical side of being able to increase my gas carrying capacity without having to find backmount doubles in parts of the world that don't have them readily available. So back to my original sentence, find some people who SD and dive with them.

Thank you everybody for the advice!!! I absolutely appreciate every single persons comment and reply. I completely agree that dove more is always and always should be the first answer and option. Currently working on getting my AOW cert and next year depending on how comfortable I feel my rescue cert. I can’t tell everyone how much I appreciate all the different answered and opinions. This is exactly why I posted on here. I actually have no idea what GUE was until today. I have added a SPG to my set up and will always keep one on a tank now. Outside of that any equipment I buy at any time will be bought as a needed item that will last as long as possible. I don’t want to keep having to buy necessary things because the one I have isn’t capable for my next step or failed because it wasn’t made for longevity. I’ll admit there are some attractive non-essential items on the market. But that’s not my class. I keep a GoPro on my head for my own viewing and I keep my gear specific to my needs and hopefully future needs. And I can’t stress enough. Im in no rush. Im just curious and love to learn as much as I can about something before I commit. And my ultimate goal is cave diving but there are sooooo many more types that look so fun as well. Still new to diving and so many possibilities. 😀

I have added a SPG to my set up and will always keep one on a tank now.
You definitely need a pressure gauge on your task on every dive. However, I dropped the SPGs and dive with transmitters only. The configuration of the hp ports on my Apeks regs would make a setup with both transmitters and SPGs clumsy. For cave diving I used to add button gauges for redundancy but some Floridian cave experts persuaded me that there is no need to add another failure point to the system. However, for extra redundancy you may find adapters made by Apeks which allow a neat setup with both AI and SPGs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom