Beginner diver thinking of switching to sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gbair89

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all!! I got certed a year ago, have 17 dives under my belt. And wanted to know what all was involved in getting ready for sidemount diving. I know there’s a class through ssi, but is it just ow to sidemount? Are there prereqs? I’m currently working on saving for a perdix ai so I can monitor 2 tanks (almost there:) and I’ve been looking into hog d3 regs and nomad bcd. The whole purpose of sidemount for me is to lengthen bottom time, but mostly to work towards cave diving certs. And I read about the comfort under water. I’m already pretty comfy with a al80 on my back. So sidemount should be awesome :p
So if anyone knows any classes I should take before sidemount or have any suggestions for gear. I don’t have anyone to ask so I google and read this site. Lol.

Assuming your dive count is correct, work on you open water skills and re-visit the question after a hundred dives or so. If you're thinking about caves in the future, nailing these skills(propulsion, buoyancy, and trim) are a lot more important than where you carry your gas.

And I do understand there is a skill level threshold for cave diving. I have my own time frame for it. 7 to 10 years away depending on how much I can dive. And the skills I’ve been working on religiously since I first found out about cave diving during my class. I have 13 dives in quarry’s and 4 at bonne terre mines. So everything I’m doing now is a build up to ultimate goal for cave diving. In other words I know I have to wait that question has been well over answered. But the question I have about the gear? Usually doesn’t. So….?

And I do understand there is a skill level threshold for cave diving. I have my own time frame for it. 7 to 10 years away depending on how much I can dive. And the skills I’ve been working on religiously since I first found out about cave diving during my class. I have 13 dives in quarry’s and 4 at bonne terre mines. So everything I’m doing now is a build up to ultimate goal for cave diving. In other words I know I have to wait that question has been well over answered. But the question I have about the gear? Usually doesn’t. So….?
Forgot to add around 50 pool dives. Not that those count but that’s where I worked on most of my skills. Class 3 times a week. But was in that pool 5 dasy a week for weeks. Lol. It was free so why not. 🤪

Skip side mount. Just go dive. You will learn a million things you don’t currently know over the next 100 dives. If you don’t have excellent trim and buoyancy, a switch to sm is pointless. It’s also much more of a pain on a boat than bm. Sm looks cool, esp at your level, but you need way more experience. There are too many horrible sm divers in the world right now because it’s become a recreation class as opposed to staying as a setup meant for a specific purpose

Skip side mount. Just go dive. You will learn a million things you don’t currently know over the next 100 dives. If you don’t have excellent trim and buoyancy, a switch to sm is pointless. It’s also much more of a pain on a boat than bm. Sm looks cool, esp at your level, but you need way more experience. There are too many horrible sm divers in the world right now because it’s become a recreation class as opposed to staying as a setup meant for a specific purpose
Seconded

The whole purpose of sidemount for me is to lengthen bottom time, but mostly to work towards cave diving certs. And I read about the comfort under water. I’m already pretty comfy with a al80 on my back.
Air consumption is not a good reason to switch to SM. It will naturally improve with more diving as you get more comfortable in the water and learn to position yourself better and exert yourself less. You can also help it along by concentrating on doing longer exhales until it becomes second nature.

In general, a desire to use SM to increase bottom time is a pretty good indicator that the diver is not ready to deal with the added complexity of SM.

In the short term, buy or rent a higher capacity tank. An HP100 is about the same size and weight as an Al80, but holds significantly more gas. Assuming you leave the bottom at 1000psi, you get around 51 cubic feet of gas to use for the non-ascent part of your dive with an AL80 versus 70.5 for an HP100. That's 38% more usable gas.

You'll also get to drop 5 pounds of weights since the HP100 is negatively buoyant even when empty.

Hello all!! I got certed a year ago, have 17 dives under my belt. And wanted to know what all was involved in getting ready for sidemount diving. I know there’s a class through ssi, but is it just ow to sidemount? Are there prereqs? I’m currently working on saving for a perdix ai so I can monitor 2 tanks (almost there:) and I’ve been looking into hog d3 regs and nomad bcd. The whole purpose of sidemount for me is to lengthen bottom time, but mostly to work towards cave diving certs. And I read about the comfort under water. I’m already pretty comfy with a al80 on my back. So sidemount should be awesome :p
So if anyone knows any classes I should take before sidemount or have any suggestions for gear. I don’t have anyone to ask so I google and read this site. Lol.
Have you compared BM and SM yourself?
17 real dive + 50 pool dive! You really need to dive a lot more to realize you own limitation. There are a lot to learn.
Take it easy.

You will get your Full Cave SM in few yrs time.

Get a lot more dives in. I did my SM class two years after I started diving and probably 175 dives. Messed with it some at the local quarry. Fiddly, so tried doubles. Those didn’t work out so I went back to SM two years ago. SM was much better second time around. Got intro to cave late 2020. Now over 400 dives. I dive SM exclusively due to knee issues.

You need to dive more, as in every weekend at the quarry type of thing. Go do some wreck diving occasionally. Get yourself drysuit certified and get yourself a drysuit. You’ll want it anyway. HP100 would be a good tank size for you. It’s silly to dive AL80s in cold water due to all the lead you need.

in answer to your question about the ssi rec sm course.....yes, you can take this course as an ow diver without any other prerequisites.
as someone said above however, be sure to have solid buoyancy, trim, and propulsion skills before you consider taking the next step.

if you choose to save for a sheawater that is your decision of course, but if it was me, i would save your money (at least for now) and stick to using a basic computer with standard analog pressure gauges.
it is not difficult to learn how to manage using the gauges, and doing so will help build your skill set and familiarity with your rig etc.

as far as the brands of gear......i had hog regs at one time. i loved them. i have also used dive rite, apeks, scuba pro etc. as long as you buy good quality sm regs that you can get serviced in your area you will be fine.

when it comes to the bc, there are a lot of options out there. some are designed for warm water use with allum tanks, some for colder waters with heavy steel tanks. what type of diving will you be doing in the next couple of years?
i have not used a nomad but the current LS and XT models look like they may be best suited for colder water with heavy steel tanks (florida style cave diving for example).
seeing as you are from michigan, if you plan on doing a lot of great lakes diving, this type of rig may be suitable for you.
if it was me, i would try to find a used rig to start. that way if you decide to try others, you can most likely sell the first one for what you paid for it, or at least very close to it.
others may suggest you wait until you know who you will be training with. that way, you can use a rig the instructor is the most familiar with in order to help you get the most out of it.
i have an xdeep stealth. it is well suited for warm and cold water diving and can be used with allum or steel tanks. it also has a great integrated weight system which many other bc's do not.
i have a hollis sms50 for warm water travel and diving single tank sm. it is not the most adjustable bc but it works great for me.
it all depends on your needs. the trouble is that many new divers (whether sm or bm) do not really know yet what their needs will be. thats why many of us end up with so much gear haha.

your reasons for trying sm are your own. whether it is a physical limitation, a desire for a redundant gas supply, wanting to cave dive, or just simply to try something different, i see nothing wrong with what you are trying to do.
but again, as someone said above, sm is not always the best choice for all types of divng. for you, if you will be doing great lakes diving from shore or from a boat using heavy double steels, there is a fairly steep learning curve when it comes to diving sm in those environments. bm doubles or single bm with a pony bottle may be a better choice in this case.
if you choose to train in your area, hopefully your instructor can not only help you dial in your rig and teach you all the basic "in water" skills you need, but also show you the most efficient ways to enter the water, and to don and doff your gear in these situations.
for me, i do not dive sm anymore at home in the great lakes. but i do enjoy diving double allum's in the cenote of mexico, and i much prefer diving single tank allum when ocean diving vs. using a bm bcd.

good luck with whatever you choose to do. dive safe and try to have fun while you are at it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom