Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those of us diving on a budget with multiple kids and a wife and a life outside of diving CCR falls a little to the bottom of the list... I'll get there, I have plenty of time. I'm still a few years away from being in my 40's.
Be forewarned: Your perspective, and your plans, just might change. My dreams of tri-mix and rebreathers ended when my first child was born (~21 years ago). Absolutely no regrets, though.

Now I'm all about solo, recreational diving using minimal, basic gear.

rx7diver

Any recommended odds and ends to have on hand with CCR diving? Booster, transfilling O2, etc., aren’t going to happen due to being in a dinky apartment with no outside space or garage.

Spares kit ordered with CCR.
staramine tablets
lube like Christo-Lube, Tribolube etc.

Be forewarned: Your perspective, and your plans, just might change. My dreams of tri-mix and rebreathers ended when my first child was born (~21 years ago). Absolutely no regrets, though.

Now I'm all about solo, recreational diving using minimal, basic gear.

rx7diver

And I'd be ok with that. I'm just enjoying the diving I do now. No real rush for anything.

Kinda funny. Couple of weeks after I order my Spirit, a nice looking used unit is posted for sale in the UK for $3500, but it has two big strikes against it. It has the manifold at the bottom of the canisters that connected them to the counterlung. My instructor warned me away from that in a used unit. That was done away with a couple of years ago and the cans now connect directly to counterlung. It also has a fisher connector on the Petrel. I’m annoyed I’m likely going to have to wait until the end of summer before mine is shipped, but I got it exactly how I wanted it.

I’m annoyed I’m likely going to have to wait until the end of summer.
It's like waiting for the correct drysuit to be sent to you rather than a used one that's too loose or too tight in the shoulders. It's torture to wait a couple of months for it, but MUCH better than years of pissed off frustration underwater. You are doing it right by waiting.....

Mel Clark’s book Rebreathers Simplified arrived last night. Damned pricey ($75), but it’s good so far. Much better than the TDI eLearning, which seems to have way too much focus on SCRs (how many people actually dive them?) and is just meh.

Has it been updated in 14 years? I was told to not bother with her cave diving books because they were just old and sorely needed updating.

Has it been updated in 14 years? I was told to not bother with her cave diving books because they were just old and sorely needed updating.

Last updated 2011. Bit dated, but the TDI generic CCR eLearning has stuff that needs to be really updated, too. This book is the recommended supplemental reading. IMO, you could use this instead of the agency CCR materials.

Don’t know anything about her cave books.

Mel Clark’s book Rebreathers Simplified arrived last night. Damned pricey ($75), but it’s good so far. Much better than the TDI eLearning, which seems to have way too much focus on SCRs (how many people actually dive them?) and is just meh.

SCR will be one of the techniques you learn to "bailout" but stay on the loop. This could happen if you lose all monitoring or your O2. Loop is still viable and you REALLY need to extend your gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom