Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another new diving adventure: might end up going to MX to do full cave. The lack of helium has really messed things up. Can’t finish AN/DP/Helitrox due to scarce helium. I get narced bad at 130’ and I’m questionable below 100’. Doing deco procedures on air to 150’ would be frankly dangerous. Going to have to embrace the suck with flying and heat/humidity. My instructor up here suggested it.

Not having deco procedures done really messes stuff up. The FL instructor I worked with in Dec wouldn’t take me on for full cave without deco procedures even though he wouldn’t take me below 100’. He wouldn’t take me as a student for DP since I’ll be doing a lot of wreck diving and his blue water deco experience is small. Instructor up here is very hesitant for me to do full in FL without helium due to how I get narced.

Instructor here recommended an instructor I’m already in contact with who is a good friend of hers.
I take tech 1 in Mexico in 6 weeks. No issues with helium from what my instructor said.

I take tech 1 in Mexico in 6 weeks. No issues with helium from what my instructor said.

Can’t get helium HERE. That’s why I’m going CCR this year. Can’t get any to finish AN/DP/Helitrox open circuit. I’ll do it later on CCR.

Another new diving adventure: might end up going to MX to do full cave. The lack of helium has really messed things up. Can’t finish AN/DP/Helitrox due to scarce helium. I get narced bad at 130’ and I’m questionable below 100’. Doing deco procedures on air to 150’ would be frankly dangerous. Going to have to embrace the suck with flying and heat/humidity. My instructor up here suggested it.

Not having deco procedures done really messes stuff up. The FL instructor I worked with in Dec wouldn’t take me on for full cave without deco procedures even though he wouldn’t take me below 100’. He wouldn’t take me as a student for DP since I’ll be doing a lot of wreck diving and his blue water deco experience is small. Instructor up here is very hesitant for me to do full in FL without helium due to how I get narced.

Instructor here recommended an instructor I’m already in contact with who is a good friend of hers.
Re-reading this, I actually see some good in it. The fact that the Fl instructor won't take you on without deco means that he won't cut corners because you need to be able to do deco in full cave. The fact that he doesn't want to do deco procedures due to lack of knowledge of blue water deco is even more impressive. I took an/dp from a cave instructor. I didn't know any better at the time, so I took the class. It was basically a "cave deco" class (which I believe the CDS now has as a class but didn't at the time). Doing deco laying on a rock is easy. Open water deco is more complex. At the time it didn't matter because I only planned to do cave dives. Now 14+ years later I want to do more blue water deco. So now eventhough I have trimix and deco, I am tacking tech 1 to really fill in the gaps of my knowledge. I'm not proposing taking a gue course. I only chose to because I've had not great instructors. By taking tech 1 I am pretty much guaranteed a decent instructor (Luckily I know my instructor very well and it will be an excellent class). If I were taking an/dp with anyone in florida (only picking from the people who's classes I have witnessed or have knowledge of), Ken Sallot would be my first pick. He tailors his class to cover both cave style deco and ow deco. You don't get that alot around here. He just taught one a couple of weeks ago, so don't think the helium issue isn't affecting his classes.
Sorry that was longer than expected. My initial planned point was: I can only imagine how frustrating it is, but at least it's a testament to the instructor's credibility as someone who cares more about what their student takes home from class than about money.

@rddvet

I’ll be doing AN/DP/Helitrox on CCR with my WI instructor - in cold water, which is how I’ll be wreck diving. The FL instructor is a long time friend of hers. I appreciated the FL instructor’s stance and totally understood it. The FL instructor’s IT was Reggie Ross. He is very good.

Not uncommon for folks up here to CCR cave dive with OC cave certs so me doing that wouldn’t be out of the usual. I’d just gradually build up to longer dives. Being able to do any dives longer than OC 1/6 limits will be nice.

If the helium shortage hadn’t interfered, I’d have been doing full cave in FL. I can’t help how I get narced. Just have to work around it.

CCR Cave is required in like one place in the world, Ginnie Springs. Is it a bad class to have, no. It is "required" to dive your CCR in a Cave, no.

@rddvet

I’ll be doing AN/DP/Helitrox on CCR with my WI instructor - in cold water, which is how I’ll be wreck diving. The FL instructor is a long time friend of hers. I appreciated the FL instructor’s stance and totally understood it. The FL instructor’s IT was Reggie Ross. He is very good.

Not uncommon for folks up here to CCR cave dive with OC cave certs so me doing that wouldn’t be out of the usual. I’d just gradually build up to longer dives. Being able to do any dives longer than OC 1/6 limits will be nice.

If the helium shortage hadn’t interfered, I’d have been doing full cave in FL. I can’t help how I get narced. Just have to work around it.
What wrecks do you have planned for this summer?

What wrecks do you have planned for this summer?

Just a few out of Milwaukee. The Willie, Milwaukee Carferry (will stay on the deck for that one), Dredge No. 6.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom