Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCR will be one of the techniques you learn to "bailout" but stay on the loop. This could happen if you lose all monitoring or your O2. Loop is still viable and you REALLY need to extend your gas.

The TDI RB learning is like 50% SCR units and the math behind flow rates/orifices, nitrox min/max, etc, and all the formulas that go with it. Hugely unnecessary and didn't have any relevance for running a RB in scr mode.

The TDI RB learning is like 50% SCR units and the math behind flow rates/orifices, nitrox min/max, etc, and all the formulas that go with it. Hugely unnecessary and didn't have any relevance for running a RB in scr mode.
I was not making any point regarding TDI’s course material. I simply explained the “need” for SCR mode in a rebreather.

I was not making any point regarding TDI’s course material. I simply explained the “need” for SCR mode in a rebreather.

Doesn’t really answer my question - does anyone actually dive SCRs?

Doesn’t really answer my question - does anyone actually dive SCRs?
Some of the biggest cave dives are done with SCR. The RB80 is used by WKPP and the GUE crowd. They are used BECAUSE of their safety and ease of diving. I am sure @PfcAJ could tell you all about them. They are a tool and have their place and like I said, having the ability to run your breather in SCR is a fantastic tool to have in your bag of tricks.

Some of the biggest cave dives are done with SCR. The RB80 is used by KPP and the GUE crowd. They are used BECAUSE of their safety and ease of diving. I am sure @PfcAJ could tell you all about them. They are a tool and have their place and like I said, having the ability to run your breather in SCR is a fantastic tool to have in your bag of tricks.
🤣😂 The Cookie Cutter Cultists definitely have their own ways.

You speak from very limited (no) CCR or SCR experience. Not uncommon in Europe cave communities and used for bailout extension by KUR. Would they be a poor choice in your use case? Certainly. Are they a useful tool? Yes.

Well, the technology is actually really cool. It isn't open circuit and it really isn't CCR either. It is a hybrid of the two, as it is a "gas extender". When you think about it, you don't really have the complexity of a CCR as there is no monitoring and no electronics. But if you had something like double 104s on your back, the RB80 would for all intents and purposes make that the same as having 6-8 sets of 104s on your back. THAT is pretty damn incredible. You can also stage the whole kit and kaboodle in a cave as a safety. So once again, as a tool, they are pretty badass!

Some of the biggest cave dives are done with SCR. The RB80 is used by WKPP and the GUE crowd. They are used BECAUSE of their safety and ease of diving. I am sure @PfcAJ could tell you all about them. They are a tool and have their place and like I said, having the ability to run your breather in SCR is a fantastic tool to have in your bag of tricks.

Rb80 is pretty rad. It just works. It’s not as efficient, but it’s wicked reliable. A little more work to use off a boat, but for caves? It’s sweet.

Another new diving adventure: might end up going to MX to do full cave. The lack of helium has really messed things up. Can’t finish AN/DP/Helitrox due to scarce helium. I get narced bad at 130’ and I’m questionable below 100’. Doing deco procedures on air to 150’ would be frankly dangerous. Going to have to embrace the suck with flying and heat/humidity. My instructor up here suggested it.

Not having deco procedures done really messes stuff up. The FL instructor I worked with in Dec wouldn’t take me on for full cave without deco procedures even though he wouldn’t take me below 100’. He wouldn’t take me as a student for DP since I’ll be doing a lot of wreck diving and his blue water deco experience is small. Instructor up here is very hesitant for me to do full in FL without helium due to how I get narced.

Instructor here recommended an instructor I’m already in contact with who is a good friend of hers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom