Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. As far as I can tell, some shops won’t fill O2 to service pressure for safety reasons, it seems.

My very limited experience here in the NE with shops is that most of them don't have boosters to accommodate 100% @ 3000psi. So you end up with ~ 70 - 80% or so (100% O2 to whatever they have and then top up with air).

I'm not sure how much more dangerous 3000 is vs 2600.

My very limited experience here in the NE with shops is that most of them don't have boosters to accommodate 100% @ 3000psi. So you end up with ~ 70 - 80% or so (100% O2 to whatever they have and then top up with air).

I don’t know. Maybe that’s it. But they won’t be topping pure O2 with air for a CCR bottle.

You also would not have to fill your O2 per dive. CCR is totally different than OC in that regard. CCR is a time based even much more so than a PSI based event. My onboard O2 bottle is an AL30 and I could do a whole weekend of diving if not more with that amount of O2. You have to remember that with a CCR the O2 is only replacing the O2 that your body actually consumes, you are not wasting breathing gas by exhaling it into the water.

I don’t know. Maybe that’s it. But they won’t be topping pure O2 with air for a CCR bottle.
I know they won't top up with air, just giving my experience why it's hard to get 3000psi O2.
You also would not have to fill your O2 per dive. CCR is totally different than OC in that regard. CCR is a time based even much more so than a PSI based event. My onboard O2 bottle is an AL30 and I could do a whole weekend of diving if not more with that amount of O2. You have to remember that with a CCR the O2 is only replacing the O2 that your body actually consumes, you are not wasting breathing gas by exhaling it into the water.
Understood. I really didn't know how long a 14 or 30 would last.

It is HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS. LOL

So how often do you get topped up.. do you own a booster or just take it to the shop?

So how often do you get topped up.. do you own a booster or just take it to the shop?
I just take it either to a shop or top it off myself at Amigos in cave country. I top it off when it is convenient. LOL Seriously, I could probably dive a solid 20hr on my tank.

Any recommended odds and ends to have on hand with CCR diving? Booster, transfilling O2, etc., aren’t going to happen due to being in a dinky apartment with no outside space or garage.
An HP133 in a closet is too much space? That's what I do currently until I set up a compressor, booster, etc.. in my garage. Filled to 3000 psi of course, so I get a number of sufficient fills that way. For the diving I'm currently doing (getting accustomed to managing counterlungs and having lost the use of my lungs for buoyancy control)

An HP133 in a closet is too much space? That's what I do currently until I set up a compressor, booster, etc.. in my garage. Filled to 3000 psi of course, so I get a number of sufficient fills that way. For the diving I'm currently doing (getting accustomed to managing counterlungs and having lost the use of my lungs for buoyancy control)

So do you just whip it into whatever tanks you have for the RB?

Wouldn't a large 244cf T bottle of O2 be even cheaper still? We pay $30 / tank.. but it's only 2400psi.

I just take it either to a shop or top it off myself at Amigos in cave country. I top it off when it is convenient. LOL Seriously, I could probably dive a solid 20hr on my tank.
Oh come on, I know your Fathom instructor taught you better than this...

AL30 = 4L
3000psi = 207bar
4*207 = 828L volume
Assume 1L/min usage (including calibrations, oxygen flushes, errant use, can't fully drain cylinder)
800L/1L/min = 800min = 13hr at high end. Anything more than 6hr on my 2L cylinder and I bring a spare AL6 as well as the 40s or 80s of oxygen that I can plug in on deco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom