Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonar image of entire Cedarville.

IMG_3333.jpeg

That is amazing for a downscan image!

Very cool. I wonder why the crane doesn't stand out.

Very cool. I wonder why the crane doesn't stand out.

You mean the self-unloading boom? It’s still intact and is closer to the lake bottom. Maybe that’s why. I’ve swam right along it on previous dives.

Why did you not dive the Cedarville?

The other two OC tech divers who were buddied up were going to penetrate into the engine room. A newbie CCR diver was not part of their plans. I knew better than to even ask to tag along.

I got very, very turned around on the Cedarville four years ago. I did not wish to repeat the experience.

So me soloing on the Cedarville, which is 110ft to the bottom and nearly 600ft long, was not going to happen if I was uncomfortable soloing on the Barnum.

Turns out it was a good decision. Viz on the Cedarville was 15ft.

The Cedarville has a reputation for disorientating divers as she’s on her side, as well as due to her size. She’s the third largest boat to be lost on the Great Lakes, after the Edmund Fitzgerald and either the Carl D Bradley or the Daniel J Morrell. Too lazy to look it up. The Cedarville is so big she has three moorings. Bow, stern, and the gash from the collision that sank her (almost cut her in half).

Seems like if you knew your line, it would be pretty easy to get back to it

The diver that died solo cave diving at Cow Spring in January was a friend. That’s made me more cautious about soloing on the rebreather since I’m still pretty new. At my local quarry is one thing. Great Lakes wreck diving is another.

Viz on the Cedarville yesterday was 15ft. I’ve done enough low viz diving to know that does not make for a good quarry dive, let alone a huge wreck. I would have called the dive immediately and gone back up.

I didn’t have a good feeling in my gut and I skipped it. Are you actually giving me push back for NOT doing the dive?

The diver that died solo cave diving at Cow Spring in January was a friend. That’s made me more cautious about soloing on the rebreather since I’m still pretty new. At my local quarry is one thing. Great Lakes wreck diving is another.

Viz on the Cedarville yesterday was 15ft. I’ve done enough low viz diving to know that does not make for a good quarry dive, let alone a huge wreck. I would have called the dive immediately and gone back up.

I didn’t have a good feeling in my gut and I skipped it. Are you actually giving me push back for NOT doing the dive?
No, the call was yours. We all have our own limits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom