Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting ready to jump in for the Maitland. When I glanced at computer, I saw 45F. Viz was 60ft, at least. Depth was almost 80ft. Awesome wreck. Maybe 15-20 min dive. Buddy was a newer diver who was a gas hog. Buddy went up (this had already been discussed). I stayed down a bit longer, but just felt a bit weird soloing on a wreck I’d not dived before.

Didn’t do the second dive on the Sandusky. There was strong current, so I decided to sit it out. I was sad to miss it, but another time. Better safe than sorry.View attachment 788310
You look far too happy! Glad you're enjoying the water and keeping the bitch working.

Had a nice dive on the Wm H. Barnum this morning. The buddy from yesterday wasn’t booked to dive today. The other two divers did their thing. I was soloing and just did not feel comfortable soloing on an unfamiliar wreck so I cut my dive short at 20 minutes. 70ft deep, 48F water temp.

We’re moored over the Cedarville now. She’s huge, almost 600ft long. Sank in 1965 after getting nearly cut in half by a saltine (ocean going ship) in bad fog. Both captains were at fault.

She lies on her side. Here is the stern on sonar. Amazing how much detail shows.
IMG_3005.jpeg

I’m not diving the Cedarville. The other two divers are OC tech and wanted to go into the engine room.

I had questions from non-Great Lakes divers about using a shot line, etc. There are moorings placed 10-15ft off the wreck to prevent them from being damaged by boat anchors. The buoys all look like this. There is also a sub float. They’re also lighted (solar powered). The dive boats tie into the buoys (line coming off them). We had a stern tie on boat wrecks today. Very calm.

IMG_3009.jpeg

I’m not diving the Cedarville.
I liked the Cedarville, it's huge.
Different question...Have you seen the giant water rooster tails coming out of the back of the Mackinac Ferry's ?? Those and going under the giant Mac bridge was a favorite topside view!

Different question...Have you seen the giant water rooster tails coming out of the back of the Mackinac Ferry's ?? Those and going under the giant Mac bridge was a favorite topside view!
I just saw them. I think that they are hydrojets. Those ferries are actually slower than the other one.

Yes, I saw the hydro jet ferries several times over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom