Becoming a DM at55

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A simple life and a hard day's work brings you closer to god.

Sikh proverb.

Also, not wearing socks.

Proverbs are great ... and then you have to pay the electric bill, buy your meds and put food on the table. :cool:

Joking aside, just be realistic with yourself in terms of your wants/needs and what you can realistically earn. As long as they match up, go for it! I've heard horror stories of people who didn't do their homework, made the switch, and then regretted it big time.

You can always DM and be a chef for a while. As I divemaster I made a few bucks here and there leading dives. As an instructor though in a non tropical area it's hard to make good money considering expenses..

Another option is liveaboards. It is a way to dovetail your current experience with the ability to grow into a variety of roles. You will work hard but I have met several captains that started in the kitchen and as a DM.

Here is an excerpt from the Aggressor site but other companies will have similar needs:

Owners look for staff with hotel and/or restaurant management training and experience, skills and training in the culinary arts, as well as those with creativity in the visual arts such as photography and videography. Each yacht, river cruise and safari lodge boasts a team of self-motivated, service-oriented professionals who are willing to do what it takes each and every week to ensure each guest has their Adventure of Lifetime®. While staff may arrive specializing in one facet of the operation, after a short time on board, cross-training commences, and new experiences and skills are introduced.

Another option is liveaboards. It is a way to dovetail your current experience with the ability to grow into a variety of roles. You will work hard but I have met several captains that started in the kitchen and as a DM.

Here is an excerpt from the Aggressor site but other companies will have similar needs:

Owners look for staff with hotel and/or restaurant management training and experience, skills and training in the culinary arts, as well as those with creativity in the visual arts such as photography and videography. Each yacht, river cruise and safari lodge boasts a team of self-motivated, service-oriented professionals who are willing to do what it takes each and every week to ensure each guest has their Adventure of Lifetime®. While staff may arrive specializing in one facet of the operation, after a short time on board, cross-training commences, and new experiences and skills are introduced.
Thanks for mentioning liveaboards, I didn't think of that as an option. I will definitely look into it.

Is there a website for employment on liveaboards, I will do a search but if anyone knows of one it would be helpful.
Aggressor has a large number of boats, all over the world, start there Aggressor Employment Advantages | Aggressor Adventures™

Going in as a chef with management experience and DM/instructor might work well. There are many DM/instructors, not many are qualified chefs with business skills.

It sure looks like you generally need be an instructor rather than divemaster.

You would probably have a chance to make some decent money if you took on the cook job on a dive boat and then get to dive one or twice a day after meals. DM is a dime a dozen. Learning how to prepare good food, efficiently in a professional setting takes a lot longer than a DM certification.

You would probably have a chance to make some decent money if you took on the cook job on a dive boat and then get to dive one or twice a day after meals. DM is a dime a dozen. Learning how to prepare good food, efficiently in a professional setting takes a lot longer than a DM certification.
I have been a professional chef for 35 years and currently work at an exclusive private club in the Hamptons, so my ability as a chef is secure, I think that if I could use that skill, as you mentioned and have the ability to also dive, that would be an option.
Thank you for your advice.

Hi @GrandWazoo

You're young. If you joined a liveaboard with your chef and management skills and certified as a scuba instructor, you might have an opportunity to transition toward instructor/guide and perhaps, eventually, cruise director. It would probably even be to your advantage to discuss this career progression when/if you interview. It would give the strong impression that you are serious and looking to make it a career.

Back
Top Bottom