Becoming a DM at55

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrandWazoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am at a point in my life where I would prefer to have a less stressful job, I am a chef and 55 y/o, I am in excellent physical health but getting tired of this career. I am considering a change and my desire is to work either as a DM or managing a dive shop, I have many years of managing staff, purchasing etc., It makes sense to manage a shop as opposed to being a DM but I think that should be a stepping stone. Is this a feasible possibility?

All opinions welcome

If you have significant personal assets, you have to think about the liability exposure.

I am at a point in my life where I would prefer to have a less stressful job, I am a chef and 55 y/o, I am in excellent physical health but getting tired of this career. I am considering a change and my desire is to work either as a DM or managing a dive shop, I have many years of managing staff, purchasing etc., It makes sense to manage a shop as opposed to being a DM but I think that should be a stepping stone. Is this a feasible possibility?

All opinions welcome
Anything is possible and good luck.

Truthfully, as a DM, no. Unless you’re already independently wealthy.​
As an instructor who also works at a shop either in sales or service or manages the shop, perhaps.​
Pretty much everyone I know that works in the dive industry has some other form of income. Either they retired from one job and this is their second career, or they have a working spouse, or they have another job or possibly even a third job as well.​
The exception are those who own a successful shop or a few very experienced instructors/course directors that I know.​
I don’t personally know of a single person who has been able to support themselves as a DM.​

can you elaborate?
You will have to get professional liability insurance and if you have personal assets beyond what the policy will cover, there is the risk of a diver or divers family going after those assets as compensation should something bad happen to a diver under your professional supervision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom