Becoming a DM at55

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a new diver, I am not going into this lightly and plan to have many more dives before I would consider

Truthfully, as a DM, no. Unless you’re already independently wealthy.​
As an instructor who also works at a shop either in sales or service or manages the shop, perhaps.​
Pretty much everyone I know that works in the dive industry has some other form of income. Either they retired from one job and this is their second career, or they have a working spouse, or they have another job or possibly even a third job as well.​
The exception are those who own a successful shop or a few very experienced instructors/course directors that I know.​
I don’t personally know of a single person who has been able to support them​
Truthfully, as a DM, no. Unless you’re already independently wealthy.​
As an instructor who also works at a shop either in sales or service or manages the shop, perhaps.​
Pretty much everyone I know that works in the dive industry has some other form of income. Either they retired from one job and this is their second career, or they have a working spouse, or they have another job or possibly even a third job as well.​
The exception are those who own a successful shop or a few very experienced instructors/course directors that I know.​
I don’t personally know of a single person who has been able to support themselves as a DM.​
Makes sense, that is why I am asking about this
selves as a DM​

I've been on the professional side for 30 years. I come across management opportunities all the time where dive businesses are looking for someone who can help run the business. When I lived in the Bahamas with my girlfriend her boss was a non-teaching PADI instructor who was hired to be in the office instead of getting wet. Most businesses want their managers to have a DM or instructor rating even if they don't want you to be in the water. Another option is to become an aquatics director.

Start by becoming a lifeguard. I have steered lots of older divers in that direction because most rescues become surface rescues. hey always thanked me for it. Those skills will be invaluable as a DM. It also opens the opportunity to get involved in aquatics. You say you are in good shape at 55. Awesome! I would baseline my fitness as being able to swim 500 meters in 10 minutes or less without fins to judge rescue fitness. It's what ocean lifeguards need do. I've made ocean rescues and they kick your butt even when you are in great shape if you have to tow someone without any gear in currents.

If you are looking to become a DM in a tropical area go take a course there rather than from the local dive shop. You'll learn more about the needs of a dive resort rather than the needs of a Long Island dive shop. You'll also get a taste of the dream. Then you'll either be hooked like heroin or you have time to reconsider the career choice.

You might also make contacts at that resort to begin your career. Back in the '90s, I met the girl who got away (I should have pursued the chemistry we had instead of returning to the girl who dumped me and dumped me again) when she was managing Doolittle's Resort on St. Lucia. Her name was Cheryl. Her story was she was an executive but took a course in Hawaii on vacation. She was immediately hooked on the sport. She went to Pro Dive in Ft. Lauderdale and did a zero to hero PADI instructor course and returned to Hawaii to work as a dive guide/instructor. The owners of Doolittle's were customers of her shop while they were vacationing in Hawaii. They liked her and offered her a manager job in St, Lucia when they learned she had a business executive background. She didn't teach. She just ran the operation and dove for fun. Like the night I convinced her to come night dive as my buddy.

If you become a lifeguard instructor, you might also decide to just run aquatics at a YMCA. My local YMCA's aquatics director makes 80K per year. Around 30K as the director and another 50K running a large lifeguard training and swim school business. That might be too similar to a real job like you have now. But it's an option for a change.

If you become a DM or a SCUBA instructor, you might be one of the fortunate few who can make a living at it. It can be done, and there is almost no rhyme or reason regarding who makes it and who doesn't. I've been becoming poorer the more effort I give to diving -- even got bent and lost everything as a tech and cave instructor.

Oh! I forgot my best friend moved from the ballet and food industry in NYC to managing a bar in the Turks & Caicos but opened his own dive shop for tech and cave diving after he took an instructor course through me. That course set us on the road to friendship. He left T&C for NYC after a few years. His wife wanted her New York life back. She was an opera singer. He also had some drama with his former boss at the bar. Provo became too small for both of them.

I've been on the professional side for 30 years. I come across management opportunities all the time where dive businesses are looking for someone who can help run the business. When I lived in the Bahamas with my girlfriend her boss was a non-teaching PADI instructor who was hired to be in the office instead of getting wet. Most businesses want their managers to have a DM or instructor rating even if they don't want you to be in the water. Another option is to become an aquatics director.

Start by becoming a lifeguard. I have steered lots of older divers in that direction because most rescues become surface rescues. hey always thanked me for it. Those skills will be invaluable as a DM. It also opens the opportunity to get involved in aquatics. You say you are in good shape at 55. Awesome! I would baseline my fitness as being able to swim 500 meters in 10 minutes or less without fins to judge rescue fitness. It's what ocean lifeguards need do. I've made ocean rescues and they kick your butt even when you are in great shape if you have to tow someone without any gear in currents.

If you are looking to become a DM in a tropical area go take a course there rather than from the local dive shop. You'll learn more about the needs of a dive resort rather than the needs of a Long Island dive shop. You'll also get a taste of the dream. Then you'll either be hooked like heroin or you have time to reconsider the career choice.

You might also make contacts at that resort to begin your career. Back in the '90s, I met the girl who got away (I should have pursued the chemistry we had instead of returning to the girl who dumped me and dumped me again) when she was managing Doolittle's Resort on St. Lucia. Her name was Cheryl. Her story was she was an executive but took a course in Hawaii on vacation. She was immediately hooked on the sport. She went to Pro Dive in Ft. Lauderdale and did a zero to hero PADI instructor course and returned to Hawaii to work as a dive guide/instructor. The owners of Doolittle's were customers of her shop while they were vacationing in Hawaii. They liked her and offered her a manager job in St, Lucia when they learned she had a business executive background. She didn't teach. She just ran the operation and dove for fun. Like the night I convinced her to come night dive as my buddy.

If you become a lifeguard instructor, you might also decide to just run aquatics at a YMCA. My local YMCA's aquatics director makes 80K per year. Around 30K as the director and another 50K running a large lifeguard training and swim school business. That might be too similar to a real job like you have now. But it's an option for a change.

If you become a DM or a SCUBA instructor, you might be one of the fortunate few who can make a living at it. It can be done, and there is almost no rhyme or reason regarding who makes it and who doesn't. I've been becoming poorer the more effort I give to diving -- even got bent and lost everything as a tech and cave instructor.
Thank you for the informative response, I actually should have clarified my desired locations. I would prefer to do this outside of the US

I am at a point in my life where I would prefer to have a less stressful job, I am a chef and 55 y/o, I am in excellent physical health but getting tired of this career. I am considering a change and my desire is to work either as a DM or managing a dive shop, I have many years of managing staff, purchasing etc., It makes sense to manage a shop as opposed to being a DM but I think that should be a stepping stone. Is this a feasible possibility?

All opinions welcome
In order to clarify, I have received some good advice, my intention, as I should have mentioned is to be a DM in another country, not the US. Thailand, Honduras, Mexico et al

I am kind of following the same path. I have my DM cert and work sporadically when I travel for practice and free dives. Once I retire (10 more years, yay!) my goal is to have my instructor cert. under my belt and work somewhere I will never have to wear socks again. I don't think I could make a living on it but certainly augment my retirement and social security funds.

Did I mention never wearing socks again?

In order to clarify, I have received some good advice, my intention, as I should have mentioned is to be a DM in another country, not the US. Thailand, Honduras, Mexico et al

That is important information to share. Outside of the US, perhaps it is possible, but don't expect to live large. Keep your standards low to modest and live frugally and you just might make a go of it. In the US? No way, not as your sole source of income.

I am kind of following the same path. I have my DM cert and work sporadically when I travel for practice and free dives. Once I retire (10 more years, yay!) my goal is to have my instructor cert. under my belt and work somewhere I will never have to wear socks again. I don't think I could make a living on it but certainly augment my retirement and social security funds.

Did I mention never wearing socks again?
I am following this path as well. More of a "hobby" job rather than sustenance.

That is important information to share. Outside of the US, perhaps it is possible, but don't expect to live large. Keep your standards low to modest and live frugally and you just might make a go of it. In the US? No way, not as your sole source of income.
A simple life and a hard day's work brings you closer to god.

Sikh proverb.

Also, not wearing socks.

Back
Top Bottom