BC's with "Elevator" Lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before I switched to a BP/W and doubles, I had a dacor airtrim with the buttons. It worked fine for me at the time with the diving I was doing. The airtrim mechanism worked great, made it really easy to dump air because of the valve on the shoulder and one towards the bottom of the BC.

I changed the style of diving and went with different equipment. IMHO there is nothing wrong with those types of BC's. It's nice to have diverse equipment to choose from to suit everyone's style.

I avoid weird gimmicky stuff.

Well then, how do you explain this...

image.php

Some kind of experimental tropical hood?

:D

Mike,

On those BCs, is the rate of fill or exhaust variable?

IOW, does the thing inflate more rapidly the further the lever is moved, or conversely, exhaust more rapidly the other direction?

I'm wondering if a diver, upon finding themselves ascending far too rapidly, can actually dump the BC entirely using that lever or whether the lever restricts the rate of exhausting the BC at all? (I don't see any other pull dumps anywhere on that thing...)

Thanks,

Doc

There is a pull dump right by the shoulder valve... forget which side...

I don't know if it was measured by anybody, but I can tell you that my feeling is that it dumps air like nothing I ever used. If you push the lever all the way down, it deflates completely almost instantly. And you gain a lot of time also from not having to think what valve to open (they all open at the same time). The lever movement is wide enough so you would not push it by mistake all the way down (and also its resistance to movement grows, so you have some force feedback to your action).

The filling I think is normal - I don't see what they could improve here. What is interesting is that you can control the fill rate in a similar way (by the distance that you move the lever), so it is easier to fill slower if you wish (instead of filling by repeated short button pushes, you fill by only one short lever movement, which will fill your BCD slowly to the needed volume).

The upper valve has a dump wire that is routed near the left D-RING - you can see it in the picture as the black thing near the compass. I think you can mount a similar one to the lower valve if you want (the valves are identical in build, even the wire hole is there, just there's no wire mounted in factory).

Mike,

On those BCs, is the rate of fill or exhaust variable?

IOW, does the thing inflate more rapidly the further the lever is moved, or conversely, exhaust more rapidly the other direction?

I'm wondering if a diver, upon finding themselves ascending far too rapidly, can actually dump the BC entirely using that lever or whether the lever restricts the rate of exhausting the BC at all? (I don't see any other pull dumps anywhere on that thing...)

Thanks,

Doc

Aqui!
pulldumpxm3.jpg

... Because everyone like a picture.

Doc,

When getting certified I dove a different BC in both pool and open water dives. Not by choice but something went wrong every single day where my instructor needed to place me on a different type of BC.

I dove the Malibu which is a back inflate, then the Cressi which is jacket inflate and also an old jacket inflate from Aqualung that was not weight integrated (I didn't like this one since the jacket would ride up on surface while the weight belt pulled at my hips).

When I got my i3 I was really nervous on my first open water trial, I had only been exposed to the corrugated hose inflate/deflate style BC.

The day I dove I can still remember me walking down the shore at Break water and thinking how in the hell am I going to find this lever all the way down where I cannot see it, at least with the corrugated hose you can see it.

My mind was really playing games with me and I was getting more nervous by the minute. As I filled up my BC on shore with some quick burst of air I commenced my floating and got my fins on. As we kicked over to our spot, my two dive buddies said are you ready?

It was time to depress that lever and I cannot tell you how easy it was. Your hand literally rest right next to the lever. The lever is coated with a rubber surface that actually feels sticky to the glove, I use kevlar gloves so the touch is nice.

The lever is also a nice size that makes itself welcomed to any size hand in my opinion. The more you press the quicker it dumps; according to test individuals in dive magazine, the unit got the highest rating within it's class for being able to dump quicker than other BC's.

Since the unit is able to simultaneously dump two valves no matter what orientation you are in you can reach neutral bouyancy rather quickly and effort free.

I know this because my dive leader on the day we dove Break Water was literally suprised how quickly I mastered my bouyancy, he literally said, "Mike you were dialed in rather quickly, I'm impressed".

He works at the LDS where I get all my equipment and didn't want to sell me the i3 for the fact that he didn't know or see how it really functioned, he wanted me in a Balance, which was my second choice.

Doc, like mentioned earlier there is a bc for everyone, and this once is for me today and for some time to come; I'm into photography and video and my setup constitutes a great choice.

I will probably see myself later down the line in a drysuit and backpack/wings with a different regulator as well.

But for today, doc this BC is going beyond what I need and I'm very impressed.

Accidents have not been reported as of yet and thats what bothered so many divers; they didn't know that the lever uses push/rod technology nothing that can leak, just old fashioned trusty technology that is used on airlines.

Once I get some pictures of me in all my gear I'll place them on this thread so you may see where the hand actually rest, literally on the lever.

MG

p.s
Doc you should take a look at the profile of the dump valves compared to other s, the i3 has a really low profile that helps reduce drag. I'm impressed when I see the bulky dump valves on some bc's and then see how low the i3 is, literally looks like it's as low as the jacket itself. You need to check one out Doc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom