BC's with "Elevator" Lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on people, this thing is geared towards novice as well as true recreational divers, meaning go for a vacation once or twice a year, dive a bit, look at the fishes, don't touch the reef follow the DM kind of diving. For that purpose, I believe there's nothing wrong with it and it does it's job well. This, in the end, is the average scuba diving industry consumer generating revenue for brand name companies.

Not that I'd get or want one, my personal opinion applies to any conventional back inflate or jacket type BC.

I think it's not a very honest presentation that would apeal to someone who was having trouble with their buoyancy to begin with. I think that it is marketed as a quick fix for inadiquate skill or training, however, the end result is not that one would have more control, but in fact much less control by using the product as descibed below...

i3_logo_1.gif
The intuitive i3 will change the way you dive forever. With this innovative technology, a lever controls your ascent and descent. It’s that simple.
It’s diving made easier — take control of yourself.

Putting aside all the other issues that have been brought up, I can see the lever as being a much better method for inflation/deflation for a diver like me who suffers from basal thumb arthritis. On all dives and especially on cold dives, it is always painful and often difficult for me to push the buttons with my thumb. Sometimes I've even had to use both hands to get enough strength to inflate/deflate. A lever would make things much easier for me.

Come on people, this thing is geared towards novice as well as true recreational divers, meaning go for a vacation once or twice a year, dive a bit, look at the fishes, don't touch the reef follow the DM kind of diving. For that purpose, I believe there's nothing wrong with it and it does it's job well. This, in the end, is the average scuba diving industry consumer generating revenue for brand name companies.

Not that I'd get or want one, my personal opinion applies to any conventional back inflate or jacket type BC.

I had my choice of all sorts of BC's when I got certified. My dive buddy went tech and got Apeks and Dive Rite equipment. I wanted recreational/photography and ended up with the i3 and Kronos; simplicity.

I will not be entering wrecks nor do I have the desire to descend 200 + feet. There is nothing for me to photograph at those depths as of interest.

I'm diving every weekend with this BC and I really enjoy all it has to offer. It makes me feel safe and confident and I have dialed in my bouyancy much faster than my dive buddy on wings.

This thread should not become my BC is better than yours; this is about exploring options and this is one.

Someone mentioned the lever will get stuck on kelp and it will deploy, that is nonesense the lever deploys itself when adequate pressure is applyed either up or down, I don't see kelp pushing it down or up.

It's amazing how many divers talk about this BC and they have never ever dove one; one reason is that it's too expensive to place as rentals and second no one will dish out the money for something they feel is trivial.

If you are really concerned about kelp and feel the hose is more adequate, you can attach the airsource 2 or 3 and disconnect the i'3. When someone else borrows your BC just disconnect the airsource and place back the i3.

A lot of divers talk about redunancy, this BC would be a good choice if you wanted three back up systems for air off your tank, the octo, the regulator and the airsource.

You also have 5 steel D rings to play with. All in all you have choices and it's up to you to read and educate yourself before you condemn products.

I'm still waiting for the first post that comes up about an accident in scuba based on the i3 technology; hasn't happened, we will see....

MG

Compared to what exactly?

:D

PS - you could streamline it a bit further by removing the "suicide clip" from the left shoulder d-ring. And, do you need the octo-holder clip or whatever that is on the right pocket d-ring If the octo is stashed away in the i3's octo-pocket?

Once the Octo is deployed it's next to impossible to place it back into the pocket it's made for a one time emergency use; once out and used it will dangle and I hate that so the clip is there to secure it back as I return to shore.

Now come on how inconvenient is that clip really? So small I forget it was even there but I guess you needed an explanation.

MG

p.s the suicide clip that bothers you also has a use; it secures my camera for underwater photography, I wouldn't want to lose that in a bump against a seal.

I did a few hours in the pool with one.

The worst part of the concept is the fact that the lever effectively monopolizes the use of one hand. Aside from operating my BCD, I use my left hand to add air to my drysuit, adjust my mask, equalize and signal. None of these things are possible when operating the lever on this BCD.

It was also more difficult to nail buoyancy with the lever. I'm sure it could be overcome with practice, but why would you want to.

It's a gimmick that can't die soon enough. It's only possible advantage would be for those who can not operate a standard inflator.

I did a few hours in the pool with one.

The worst part of the concept is the fact that the lever effectively monopolizes the use of one hand. Aside from operating my BCD, I use my left hand to add air to my drysuit, adjust my mask, equalize and signal. None of these things are possible when operating the lever on this BCD.

It was also more difficult to nail buoyancy with the lever. I'm sure it could be overcome with practice, but why would you want to.

It's a gimmick that can't die soon enough. It's only possible advantage would be for those who can not operate a standard inflator.

Wow,

Now it's finally happening, we are becomming separated once again between what is appropriate and what is not among diving.

So let me see, I wear an Atomics Subframe mask, Atomic spring split fins, Pinnacles Merino 7mm elastiprene wetsuit, and a Kronos Aqualung regulator.

So I guess those are also subject to critique right? I should have a pair of wings and a Apeks regulator so I may venture to tech in the future right? Or forget the wetsuit I should be dry suit or should I dive a mini sub?

Wow, you divers really amaze me, labeling divers as novice or professional. This is not a beauty contest or is it?

Lets knock it off and those that have tested the i3 speak and those that have not refrain from making off the wall comments.

MG

Wow,

Now it's finally happening, we are becomming separated once again between what is appropriate and what is not among diving.

So let me see, I wear an Atomics Subframe mask, Atomic spring split fins, Pinnacles Merino 7mm elastiprene wetsuit, and a Kronos Aqualung regulator.

So I guess those are also subject to critique right? I should have a pair of wings and a Apeks regulator so I may venture to tech in the future right? Or forget the wetsuit I should be dry suit or should I dive a mini sub?

Wow, you divers really amaze me, labeling divers as novice or professional. This is not a beauty contest or is it?

Lets knock it off and those that have tested the i3 speak and those that have not refrain from making off the wall comments.

MG

I think split fins are great for most recreational divers, but even greater for recreational dive shops.

Once the Octo is deployed it's next to impossible to place it back into the pocket it's made for a one time emergency use; once out and used it will dangle and I hate that so the clip is there to secure it back as I return to shore. Now come on how inconvenient is that clip really? So small I forget it was even there but I guess you needed an explanation.

This is going to sound like a smart-*** question, but I'm truly curious about the overall utility of this BCD and some of its features. Do you deploy your octo frequently? How frequently? Frequently enough that the need to restow it so it doesn't dangle as you swim back to shore is an actual problem that you face on a regular basis?

If you do, the clip makes perfect sense. However if you DO deploy and re-stow your octo frequently enough to need the clip then I think the idea of the pocket "for one time emergency use" is of limited utility. Seems to me that if I'm OOA, you give me your octo and we surface. I give you your octo back and you can just stuff it in your BC strap for the swim back.

...the suicide clip that bothers you also has a use; it secures my camera for underwater photography, I wouldn't want to lose that in a bump against a seal.

Two points to consider when chosing a clip for this need: entanglement risk and camera security

1.) Lose your camera vs lose your life? Not to overdramatize the point, but that's a trade off you need to make for yourself. Not saying you shouldn't clip the camera off. If you dive in areas completly free of ropes, lines, nets, monofilament, etc (unlikely if you're diving in or near water but it's possible) you're probably safe with that particular clip. However, even if that is the case...

2.) There are much better ways to secure your camera. Right now you've got TWO failure points that could result in loss of your camera. From this perspective the metal carabiner on the D-ring doesn't worry me anywhere near as much as the 2-cent plastic clip at the other end. (Plus the 2-cent plastic female clip on the camera end, plus whatever attaches that end to the camera itself, for a total of four failure points to lose your camera.)

There are many other clip designs that will allow you to adequately secure the camera AND avoid opening you up to an entanglement hazard.

My camera makes attachments on both sides of my metal D rings via a release clip on both ends. If I were to get entangled at any of the sides the release would ditch my camera if both sides were ejected.

I'm a new diver and as of yet never had to deploy my octo since certification. I have done practice runs already with my dive buddy and continuing my dive via the octo on the outside, just as common as every other diver I have seen diving; octo attached to the side.

I really enjoy the two rather large pockets that I have on both sides of my BC, none is occluded by octo or spg. This is by choice and each diver is different.

I read and researched my camera equipment prior to making any selections by underwater photographers.

MG

p.s
I will be sure to document my loss of camera when my 2-cent plastic clips give way and my camera ends up at Davy Jones locker. Oh RJP you forgot to mention the failure of my other 2-cent plastic clips holding my i3 in place. When my camera gives so will my bc clips and then what? I guess Aqualung and Oceanic and Zeagle just to name a few should retire the 2-cent clips you speak about and get metal ones right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom