BCD or Reg First?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They don't look awesome at all.

In my experience with both men and women divers, it's more often the women who have problems with fit for rental BCDs. Rentals are virtually always "unisex" models which is really code for "male." Women are more short-waisted than men, so when the BCD is inflated on the surface, it tends to ride way up, and the bladder often rubs against the neck under the ear rather than staying down on the shoulders where it belongs. Also underwater, women in rental BCDs tend to have more issues with the tank shifting on their upper backs because women's shoulders are narrower than men's shoulders, and the "unisex" BCDs are simply too wide in the shoulder area. I've never seen a man with a serious problem with the fit of a rental BCD, assuming the size is correct.

For this reason, I recommend that if a woman has money only for either a BCD or a reg, she should buy the BCD.
For a man with that decision to make, it could go either way, but it would probably depend on what bugged him the most about the rental gear he has used in the past.

Last days occasionally I saw a pictures of new Scubapro A700 once dived with rusted tank. Unbelievable, but it was absolutely stained (may be damage) with a rust, commed from the tank, after ONE! dive of about 20 minutes. Looks like it's not worth to invest into good, top-line reg without your own, properly serviced tanks - tank and reg is one system after all.

On the other hand BC is dedicated part of gear.

I vote for BC.

Having had the luxury of getting my entire kit in one go, the one thing I would have missed more then either of those would possibly be my BCD. Having said that, I can't imagine not having a reg. I too can recommend Apeks regs and have had mine for 15 years and it is still going strong!

It has been said already, and every diver has their own preference for regulators, each will try to insist theirs is the best model/ manufacturer, I am not going to tell you what i use....but the BCD is just a bag to attach your scuba cylinder, once you get more proficient with your buoyancy you really won't need it unless you're at the surface.

The reg is your lifeline. Literally.

I have no problem renting a bcd, but no one uses my regulator but me. Whether you invest in an inflatable bag, or a means to keep you alive is ultimately your question.

You can get both a HOG regulator set and BP/W for less money than the Mk25/S600. I don't believe that any piece of equipment is a lifeline in a recreational diving. I use 30 year old regulators that I'd recommend to anyone.

Buy your reg first. With 45 dives under your belt you probably will have a hard time picking the correct BC for your type diving. Rent BC's for another 50 dives or so. Try as many types as possible like the SP Classic, back inflated, front adjustable etc. All have advantages and disadvantages. Also consider what type and where you will dive. I have a SP Classic that I think is the finest BC ever built but it is difficult to travel with. I have a SP Equator that I travel with and it is nearly as stable as the Classic and about half the size.

I have used Scubapro since the early 1980's. I presently use the mk25/s600, but have used pretty much every model they have made since then. None of the regs was less than excellent, though some did have a few issues which were quickly addressed ( the original D300 and one of the 1st stages, I can't remember which). Pretty much all mfg's have had a few duds. The major advantages to the mk25/s600 is the weight of the first stage and the ability to adjust the intermediate stage pressure externally. Just because the specs of a reg says the cracking effort can be adjusted below 1 on a magnehelic gauge anything below around 1.3 will probably free flow under water . If you adjust the first stage to maximum performance it will free flow while diving. With the mk25 I detune the first stage using the external adjustment knob while entering the water and below 35 feet or so I decrease the resistance proportionately to the depth. What you end up with is max performance at any depth.

Another option would be a used MK10/G250. This is the workhorse of the Scubapro line and the bench mark for all regulators. Buy it, have it rebuilt and dive. You should be able to find them in good condition for under $200. They won't have the warranty but you can rebuild them once every 2 years and come out the same as using warranty and rebuilding every year. Most Technion's would agree once every 2 years is fine in most cases. I still have 2 of them that my daughters use and they are fabulous regs.

Last edited:
You can get both a HOG regulator set and BP/W for less money than the Mk25/S600. I don't believe that any piece of equipment is a lifeline in a recreational diving. I use 30 year old regulators that I'd recommend to anyone.

I totally agree, the edge epic reg set is $330, Zeagle Express tech 250, and a edge gauge set for 120 or 150 w/compass. So for around the same price as a MK25/S600 w/octo you can get a whole setup with gauges. I know the express tech may not be for everyone but at 250 it is worth a try and if you do not like it I'm sure you could get 3/4 of the price back if you sold it here used in the classifieds.

Back
Top Bottom