BCD or Reg First?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all thank you to the many who responded. You have given me a lot to think about in the next few weeks while I shop around.

I do in fact have fins,mask, boots, gloves and compass as well as a Geo computer.

I think the idea of BCD for him, who often has had bad luck bcd issues and reg for me who is an air hog maybe a good option. We have very few scuba shops close by so an easily serviceable reg will move up in my priority list. Also it would seem that by reading the scuba diving magazines I have strong desire for the top of the line, but may not need a Porche when a Honda will do

I guess the bottom line is there is no real rule of thumb once i find a good fitting mask. Our next dives in March can't come soon enough!

I fall more into the hygiene camp as well, so I would say get the reg first. However, I also see it as a critical physical and psychological comfort issue as well. Greater enjoyment will often be directly tied to how relaxed you are, and obviously nothing is more core to scuba than breathing. Knowing that you can count on a consistent (and clean) breathing experience just seems like a no-brainer to me. I would also try to budget as much as possible for any purchases directly associated with your air supply in general. In my opinion it pays to splurge on extras like hose swivels on your first and/or second stages, as well as a SeaCure mouthpiece. Personally, I prefer Atomic Aquatics and ScubaPro.

Last edited:
Beware of the term "Top of the Line". It is usually used by manufacturers/sales people trying to convince you to buy overpriced stuff that isn't necessarily any better than another less expensive brand to give you a warm fuzzy feeling about going over budget. This applies to all things... not just scuba gear. Good luck in your search!

i got my old BC first, but that's because it was available to me. if you don't dive a lot, a reg might not be a good idea, as you'll hate spending cash to have it overhauled every time you want to go diving (maybe 6 mos, or a year, etc...)

I also agree with those that say BCD first.

BTW, you mention "reg for me who is an air hog maybe a good option". Regs won't help with that problem. Your air consumption will improve as you dive more, relax and dial in your bouyancy and trim.

Personally, I love Aqualung. Free parts, inexpensive, and an easy, easy breather.

I say reg first. I went with the Mk17/A700 Scubapro setup. I figure that it is the one piece of equipment your life literally depends on. If your reg fails, you could die. If your BC fails, you can drop weights or disconnect your inflator hose. No big deal.

That, and I don't really like the idea of using a reg that has been in an unknown number of other mouths :D

Big deal. People die from stupid not gear.
and other mouths can be good for kissing

I agree with many of the above that the Reg is the most personal and import first step purchase.

Based upon the diving you mentioned I would not spend the money on the scubapro. It is a great reg if you need to go into some more difficult environments but for warm water casual diving you can save the money and go with a less expensive Reg. There are many on the market to choose from.

You may even be able to purchase a complete set of gear for what full retail on the reg is.

I agree with many of the above that the Reg is the most personal and import first step purchase.

Based upon the diving you mentioned I would not spend the money on the scubapro. It is a great reg if you need to go into some more difficult environments but for warm water casual diving you can save the money and go with a less expensive Reg. There are many on the market to choose from.

You may even be able to purchase a complete set of gear for what full retail on the reg is.

Scubapro MK25/S600 is awesome. Or Mk17. Or S555. Or any combination thereof. Good call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom