BCD or Reg First?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me, the decision is more of hygienic nature:

First, I din't want to swim around in a suit that I wouldn't know how many people have urinated in before.

Second, I didn't want to chew on other people's oral bacteria population (but then again you could bring your own mouthpiece, but still... who knows what lives in the hoses and other parts...).

The BCD is of no concern in that respect.

To me, the decision is more of hygienic nature:

First, I din't want to swim around in a suit that I wouldn't know how many people have urinated in before.

Second, I didn't want to chew on other people's oral bacteria population (but then again you could bring your own mouthpiece, but still... who knows what lives in the hoses and other parts...).

The BCD is of no concern in that respect.

But you are pretty much swimming in the same water the fish / turtles / all other animals have peed and pooped in?? And unless your reg never comes out of your mouth before entry or during / after the dive then I'm sure you are getting some good stuff in your mouth then also.

IMO BCD first if that's the choice we are making. As someone else said everything attaches to it. So once you get it set up, you know exactly where the buckles are, where the rings are where the dumps are, where the pockets are if you need them etc etc.

The BCD is worn, so fit matters. That being said, I'd go for reg first. I've found that is one of the places where quality matters, and I like having my own and knowing how well maintained it is.

Buy the regs and "rent to own" the bcd...I believe most shops have a rent to own option on their rental gear and will apply the rental price to the buy price of that gear.

I bought my first reg and BC at the same time, but if I had to choose one over the other I'd definitely buy the reg first for the reasons stated by oceJANic: hygiene.

dburg30 makes a good point about swimming around in what amounts to Nature's vast toilet bowl, but I'm just not keen on putting a rented reg's mouthpiece in my mouth. Blech.

Given the split of opinion, I'd say the good news is there's no right or wrong answer.

What's on sale? :D

The BCD is worn, so fit matters.

I'm going to have to third this one. Buy a BCD that fits and your buoyancy control will just keep getting better and be consistent. You will be more comfortable diving in something that your are familiar with and fits you properly.

I also agree that you can buy both the BCD and Regulators for about the same cost as the Scubapro regulator alone. There are some really good breathing, inexpensive, easy to maintain regulators on the market. As NetDoc suggested, HOG/Edge one of them.

If you fear germs in the rental regulators, order youself a bottle of Sterisol germicide and carry your own mouth piece and zip ties.

And a biological incident suit.

Scubapro Mk10 or 20/D400 or G200B second hand with free parts for life
inside the reg for $100 and some sort of Zeagle bcd for a similar price or
more from USABay is all you will ever require for all diving anywhere.

For him: Reg, buy quality buy once. I love my scubapro S600. BC for men is fairly easy to fit properly off a rental rack.

For her: BC. Not all places rent womens BC's. A properly fitting womens BC will make a difference in comfort in the water.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom