BC Remove and Replace Skill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a random update... I make it a habit to do a bubble check (equipment check) with my buddies on every dive. The other day diving with my 13 y.o. and a friend of mine that only has a handful of dives past OW certification he motioned that I had bubbles where there shouldn't be, but didn't know if it was ok or not. Rather than bring us all up I doffed my rig, identified a tiny champagne bubble leak from the yoke interface (and decided it was no big deal for this benign dive), put it back on, signaled "OK" and continued the dive. My friend was impressed that it can be that much of a non issue to take your gear off, check/adjust something, and continue the dive all at depth. That's not to say I think I'm anything special, more to point out that it is that easy if you practice it.

Just a random update... I make it a habit to do a bubble check (equipment check) with my buddies on every dive. The other day diving with my 13 y.o. and a friend of mine that only has a handful of dives past OW certification he motioned that I had bubbles where there shouldn't be, but didn't know if it was ok or not. Rather than bring us all up I doffed my rig, identified a tiny champagne bubble leak from the yoke interface (and decided it was no big deal for this benign dive), put it back on, signaled "OK" and continued the dive. My friend was impressed that it can be that much of a non issue to take your gear off, check/adjust something, and continue the dive all at depth. That's not to say I think I'm anything special, more to point out that it is that easy if you practice it.
Indeed. Kit remove and replace is something good to drill on after not diving for several months.

Don and doff in cold water is a pain. Even with 12-16 lbs on my belt I'm still super floaty and have to hang onto my straps if adjusting a tank strap or whatnot. This is especially true when somewhat shallow in my semi-dry. Def a good skill to have and practice. I was huffing and puffing from moving a poorly placed tank at 20fsw the last time and took a few minutes to catch my breath. Stupid cold water.

I last took off my BCD underwater during certification in 1985. A few days ago I had a leak on my reg setup and wanted to see where it was (HP hose). Without stopping to think I pulled it off, identified the hose that was leaking and put it back on.

….Without stopping to think I pulled it off, identified the hose that was leaking and put it back on.
…. Rather than bring us all up I doffed my rig, identified a tiny champagne bubble leak from the yoke interface (and decided it was no big deal for this benign dive), put it back on, signaled "OK" and continued the dive.

This is easier and has multiple uses…

704A4299-A3B7-4CED-82B9-2936FACC9373.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom