BC Remove and Replace Skill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HOWEVER.... This does not work as well, or as easily when neutral buoyant mid-column. When neutral buoyant, it is easier to remove the BCD and tank by pulling your left arm out, then rotating the assembly around in front of you. IF YOU CAN.
Should not be a problem if you have integrated weights in your BCD.

I guess I didn't know that this thread was more about mid and bottom water column doff an donn.

On the surface doff an donn is obviously necessary or you not going scuba diving.

Mostly just practicing donning in water where I can stand and not put much weight on my spine is what I'm up to.

I think that over the head was done as well in the way back machine, not now.

The shallow water near the beach I figure had a little bit of turbidity and it is not quite as clear as the pool.

Just practicing and knowing without sight of everything and getting it done within a reasonably short enough time, I think is what I'll be doing.

One thing that was done in an indoor pool for my basic open water was in mid water test. The lights turned off and your neutral bouyant about half the way down in the 12 foot end of the pool.

Then they grab your tank and spin you around a couple of times. You have to remain composure to pass the test.

Separate test also in dark they pull the second stage out of your mouth.

As for skills sort of open water, quarry dive they let you go inside a sunked cabin cruzer and car. The opening for the was inside the cabin cruzer I was going to just half take my tank off to make myself narrower and still have second stage hose not stretched. I saw this in the text from the college course. That is what I told them after I was stopped from doing this. Ah, but after getting my PADI, NAUI, and YMCA temp cards and course passed, I was told about sawing a hole in ice and going diving.

I heard from another driver that a snorkel is not necessary for ice diving. Some keep a snorkel but not attached to athe mask. I suppose a skill to attach it while on a dive is a skill. Careful not to loose the keeper, ha ha.

I understand if you are solo diving.. I posted in the basic forum, in part, to see what the utility is for recreational divers (non-tech, non-cave, etc).
It’s not really relevant to the topic but a solo is not tech (at least I think from the agencies teaching it)

It’s not really relevant to the topic but a solo is not tech (at least I think from the agencies teaching it)

No it is not tech but it is outside of the scope of recreational diving (as defined by most of the major agencies in the US).

No it is not tech but it is outside of the scope of recreational diving (as defined by most of the major agencies in the US).
PADI, SDI, SSI, IANTD all have solo diving courses (of different names) in their recreational programs.

PADI, SDI, SSI, IANTD all have solo diving courses (of different names) in their recreational programs.
Fair enough. I was looking for answers as to why BC remove and replace is taught in the standard open water, AOW curriculum. Solo diving seems to obviate the need for the skill.

Fair enough. I was looking for answers as to why BC remove and replace is taught in the standard open water, AOW curriculum. Solo diving seems to obviate the need for the skill.
I think that removing your gear and putting it back on you is a skill very important for solo diving.
In at least three cases I got caught by a fishing line.
The first time my wife did cut it, working on my back. The other two times I was working as a DM, guiding a group of customers.
So I did not have a "buddy", nor I wanted that my customers attempted to release me from the line, with the risk to getting caught, too. So I removed my gear (over the head, as I was taught when we were using twin tanks), released the line from the valves, and re-inserted myself in the harness.
I imagine that if I was solo I had to do exactly the same...

Has this been added to the PADI AOW program since 2017? (Last year I was active).

Remember that this skill in OW is only taught in confined water, a real shortcoming for cold water divers. I suspect that in general most cold water divers would not be able to perform this skill. Doing so requires some thought to weight placement.

One of the reasons I prefer solo diving in side mount is dealing with entanglements far more easily as there is nothing on your back to catch anything.

Has this been added to the PADI AOW program since 2017? (Last year I was active).

Remember that this skill in OW is only taught in confined water, a real shortcoming for cold water divers. I suspect that in general most cold water divers would not be able to perform this skill. Doing so requires some thought to weight placement.

One of the reasons I prefer solo diving in side mount is dealing with entanglements far more easily as there is nothing on your back to catch anything.
I tried doing it in a drysuit and it’s not so easy.

I tried doing it in a drysuit and it’s not so easy.
Can you imagine a bunch of overweighted open water students on their knees doing this in jacket style BCDs? If they slip up.... up they go! I'm pretty sure that is the reason why it isn't done in open water. It is far riskier. But if they can't do it, what's the point of having them do it in confined water?

I've done it in a dry suit and BP/W by pulling it over my head. But then I am wearing 10 lbs on a weight belt so that helps a lot. As you know, you got to keep your scuba kit close to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom