BC Remove and Replace Skill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen some pretty wild diving on the reefs of Bonaire over our last several trips, how about you?
I have said many times over the years that I rarely saw truly bad divers on the reefs of Bonaire. Not so any more. I have noticed too that the orientation and “check out dive” seems little more than lip service now, if that.
B7476C26-2BEE-4563-A8BD-8E2161DDF43E.jpeg

So let's use a hypothetical scenario. Let's say you are an instructor in some tropical destination where you need the plane ticket home at the end of your contract (a common scenario).

If your dive center only provided these BCDs, what would you do regarding this skill?
Easy, I'm not it this situation, I would not provide these BCs

I have said many times over the years that I rarely saw truly bad divers on the reefs of Bonaire. Not so any more. I have noticed too that the orientation and “check out dive” seems little more than lip service now, if that. View attachment 721662
That's what I'm talking about

Easy, I'm not it this situation, I would not provide these BCs
That isn't an option here.

The point I'm trying to make that it is extremely difficult to educate students about all the negligent activity in the industry. From standards violations (where skills are skipped, like my open water) or try scuba participants being taken inside a cavern on a single tanks, no lights, and often left alone (note I didn't say DSD) to poorly/non-maintained equipment to what we are discussing here: poorly designed or worn out jacket style BCDs.

Let's say you are a a good dive center which the "best" jacket style BCDs which is very clear when the weight pockets are secured, are easy to snap in, and remove/replace while in the water.

Are your students trained to deal with all the poor equipment out there? Like the BCD you mention?

I was taught it during my novice 1 training with BSAC, many years ago.
I had to use it in anger during a dive in Egypt with rental gear where a cylinder came free from the cam band during a dive (It was correctly threaded, I'd pre-wetted the band, and it still came loose).
I took off my BCD, re-secured the cylinder, and continued with the dive.
That was the last time I went diving in a rental BCD. I also use twin cam bands these days too.

That's what I'm talking about

Don’t mean to beat a dead seahorse, but this GIF provides some context to that picture.

447CE9E9-7339-413F-B1C3-1320829F0C8B.gif

I have said many times over the years that I rarely saw truly bad divers on the reefs of Bonaire. Not so any more. I have noticed too that the orientation and “check out dive” seems little more than lip service now, if that. View attachment 721662
I was only in Bonaire once, in 2005. I was in what had been Captain Don's Habitat, but it had recently been sold. Captain Don was still around, though. He and my wife had some great talks.

I only mention this to say that for my supposed checkout dive, I was just told to do a dive. No one "checked me out," so it could not be any worse today than it was 17 years ago.

I was only in Bonaire once, in 2005. I was in what had been Captain Don's Habitat, but it had recently been sold. Captain Don was still around, though. He and my wife had some great talks.

I only mention this to say that for my supposed checkout dive, I was just told to do a dive. No one "checked me out," so it could not be any worse today than it was 17 years ago.

Did they have you put the number of dives on your check-in form? -- Just out of curiosity: both DFB on Bonaire and GoWest on Curacao had someone watch us go splash the first time we stayed there. But then we came to GoWest with only OW certification dives; Bonaire was the next trip with the couple of dozen dives we did on Cur.

On subsequent trips were told to "just go dive" as you say.

Did they have you put the number of dives on your check-in form? -
I certainly don't remember the form or any of that data. I just went through my old logs and saw that I only had about 200 dives back then. Did they know that? Beats me. That was too long ago to remember.

I certainly don't remember the form or any of that data. I just went through my old logs and saw that I only had about 200 dives back then. Did they know that? Beats me. That was too long ago to remember.

I wouldn't know what the forms were like in 2005. In the last decade or so all the ones I filled in had the "number of dives (approx)" box. I expect if you put in more than a handful and don't look like you're lying about it, the op may decide to... exercise discretion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom