BC Remove and Replace Skill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do vividly remember that I was surprised that there was no observation during what was billed as a checkout dive. I had the sense that no one else got anything more than I did.

We started diving in Bonaire in 2004. We stayed at Sand Dollar and dived with Andre at Bonaire Dive & Adventure. The initial orientation was long and detailed. The checkout dive was only to confirm the diving weight, not sure it was even observed. We've been back 7 times now, they generally trust us on our weighting and pass us out of the orientation.

I was only in Bonaire once, in 2005. I was in what had been Captain Don's Habitat, but it had recently been sold. Captain Don was still around, though. He and my wife had some great talks.

I only mention this to say that for my supposed checkout dive, I was just told to do a dive. No one "checked me out," so it could not be any worse today than it was 17 years ago.
Our first trip was 2011 and we stayed in a condo beside Belmar. We used the Buddy Dive shop located there. Orientation was a set time and was an actual orientation. They discussed the marine park rules, showed us a map of the island and dive sites, explained where the double reef begins and ends, cautioned about the one way road north…it was very thorough and since it was our first trip it was very useful. All our subsequent trips have been with Dive Friends and the orientation was very informal.

When we used DF Hamlet location we were often asked to do our first dive there but we were never aware of anyone actually watching as we dove. When we changed to the DF Port Bonaire there is no dive site at the shop. Only once, when DF at Delfins opened and we got our first set of tanks there, the guy at the shop actually watched us gear up, walked down to the water with us and watched us swam around the shallows a bit.

But they did at least mention the park rules and reef etiquette. This last trip there was none.

Don’t mean to beat a dead seahorse, but this GIF provides some context to that picture.

View attachment 723327
:deadhorse:The saddest part is that this dive was not the only time it happened. We saw the same thing on another day at this same site. I mentioned it to the staff at DF Hamlet. Apparently it is a guided dive from a nearby shop. 😢

The STINAPA rules are very clear in Bonaire:

2. Orientation: All SCUBA divers must attend an orientation with their dive operator (the center from which air tanks are obtained) before diving in the BNMP. The orientation consists of a ‘dry’ part and a ‘wet’ part. The ‘dry’ part is a briefing on the Bonaire National Marine Park rules. The ‘wet’ part of the orientation is the check out dive, which is always supervised by the dive operation providing air. Repeat divers are required to attend a dive orientation and perform a check out dive every time they are back on island.​
Sure, some shops/people may disregard this, but the rule is very clear.

The STINAPA rules are very clear in Bonaire:

2. Orientation: All SCUBA divers must attend an orientation with their dive operator (the center from which air tanks are obtained) before diving in the BNMP. The orientation consists of a ‘dry’ part and a ‘wet’ part. The ‘dry’ part is a briefing on the Bonaire National Marine Park rules. The ‘wet’ part of the orientation is the check out dive, which is always supervised by the dive operation providing air. Repeat divers are required to attend a dive orientation and perform a check out dive every time they are back on island.​
Sure, some shops/people may disregard this, but the rule is very clear.
I had training that had done an doff in pool 12ft deep. Going to surface without tank. Returning to tank on bottom with breath hold from surface and get tank back on.

No wetsuit as in pool, and the old back pack and horseshoe collar we practiced.

Now with DUI CF200 drysuit and Zeagle Ranger BC having integrated weights is what I'm using.

Donning BC on land I can pretty well see most everything to slip it on and get buckles and Velcro done.

I though have of the few past year have to get into the BC while it is floating in shallow water. Spine in issue.

Years ago I practiced in pool and used effectively to graduate to don and doff off small boat where in calm waters with tether to boat where obviously I could not touch the bottom.

So for beach dive on calm days without big waves or surge I have fins on and mask and snorkel around my neck. I take the BC all set up from short distance from waters edge and walk with fins on dragging BC into water where I can be standing up.

Getting in my suit this way has be done OK, but some this just you can't see. Like reaching for the Velcro clumberbund was a mystery for a while. I found it floating up near my chest. So OK making a list and mental note of various things that are different when you have to do things by feel and not seeing.

The dump valve on my left upper arm on the drysuit tends to catch on the shoulder strap. I takes some wiggle to get past. The straps may also fold by twisting. Then to untwist is a pain. Generally without getting arm fully removed untwisting can be accomplished. Any thing that others know on how to prevent the straps from twisting? I do loosen all of the length of the shoulder straps. Only once all fasteners done do I snug up the adjustors.

The top snap near neck is complicated due to the mask and snorkel already there and in the way. I thought of putting the mask and snorkel clipped to the BC temporarily while getting into the BC.

A dive float and flag I have from when Abs we're plentiful in California. Now they have been banned for at least 5 years ago. I could have it to use to hold stuff like mask and snorkel as well as dive light and even gloves.

My dive gloves though warm and easy to put on an remove, could be put on afterwards of getting BC on. This could possibly making getting into BC easier with better tactile touch.

Ideas/suggestions?

I had training that had done an doff in pool 12ft deep. Going to surface without tank. Returning to tank on bottom with breath hold from surface and get tank back on.

No wetsuit as in pool, and the old back pack and horseshoe collar we practiced.

Now with DUI CF200 drysuit and Zeagle Ranger BC having integrated weights is what I'm using.

Donning BC on land I can pretty well see most everything to slip it on and get buckles and Velcro done.

I though have of the few past year have to get into the BC while it is floating in shallow water. Spine in issue.

Years ago I practiced in pool and used effectively to graduate to don and doff off small boat where in calm waters with tether to boat where obviously I could not touch the bottom.

So for beach dive on calm days without big waves or surge I have fins on and mask and snorkel around my neck. I take the BC all set up from short distance from waters edge and walk with fins on dragging BC into water where I can be standing up.

Getting in my suit this way has be done OK, but some this just you can't see. Like reaching for the Velcro clumberbund was a mystery for a while. I found it floating up near my chest. So OK making a list and mental note of various things that are different when you have to do things by feel and not seeing.

The dump valve on my left upper arm on the drysuit tends to catch on the shoulder strap. I takes some wiggle to get past. The straps may also fold by twisting. Then to untwist is a pain. Generally without getting arm fully removed untwisting can be accomplished. Any thing that others know on how to prevent the straps from twisting? I do loosen all of the length of the shoulder straps. Only once all fasteners done do I snug up the adjustors.

The top snap near neck is complicated due to the mask and snorkel already there and in the way. I thought of putting the mask and snorkel clipped to the BC temporarily while getting into the BC.

A dive float and flag I have from when Abs we're plentiful in California. Now they have been banned for at least 5 years ago. I could have it to use to hold stuff like mask and snorkel as well as dive light and even gloves.

My dive gloves though warm and easy to put on an remove, could be put on afterwards of getting BC on. This could possibly making getting into BC easier with better tactile touch.

Ideas/suggestions?
1) why even bring the snorkel? It gets in the way more often than it's useful. If desired for a face down surface swim then maybe use a folding one and place in pocket before/after use.
2) only fully loosen your non dominant side strap. If you're right handed, loosen the right enough to get your arm in and fully loosen the left. That way you only have to deal with 1 strap getting twisted.
3) go to chest deep water like normal to get the bc on and then go a little shallower to set and adjust your cummerbund straps.

If all else fails maybe try for a new spine?

Tell that to this lass who sorted her own tank slip. I had to remove my gear on a night dive when ascending on the outside of a wreck and into a fishing net. The other divers I waved off so they could just let me do it myself so they did not get entangled. Also they provided extra lighting. I had to cut net away from the first stage and tank knob.

View attachment 720465
First thing I noticed was the weightbelt. If those are 2 lbs each she has about 12 lbs on that belt. Try doing that with integrated weights.

I was taught to remove my tank over my head. Of course, I was not wearing a BCD (they didn't exist), and I had a double hose regulator in my mouth. So, that was the only way to do it then. I was also on my knees on the bottom of the pool.

Once I was Assisting with classes as an Assistant Instructor/Divemaster trainee, I was still teaching overhead removal of the tank and BCD, while kneeling on the bottom. And it works quite well. You have everything right in front of you, so you can make sure everything is in the right place prior to putting everything back on.

HOWEVER.... This does not work as well, or as easily when neutral buoyant mid-column. When neutral buoyant, it is easier to remove the BCD and tank by pulling your left arm out, then rotating the assembly around in front of you. IF YOU CAN.

What happens when you become entangled and can't cut your way out? Well then it may take removing the waist strap and popping both shoulder d-rings so you can shimmy out the bottom. (And now you know why some of us dive with 6' Octopus hoses. It's not just to keep a panicked, diver at arm's length.) Then with your Octopus rig giving you plenty of slack to work with, you can free your rig, redo the shoulder strap and don your rig again.

We never know, what is going to happen on a dive, so we do need to practice different skills from time to time, and in different ways so things don't completely catch us off guard.

Back
Top Bottom