Bauer Oceanus - New to me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcwalsh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just won a public auction for a 2014 Bauer Oceanus and 3 bottle bank from a fire department that is closing. I have ordered a new filter element and a annual rebuild / parts kit. Having been at a fire department I am assuming it was well maintained.

Other than the above, any recommendations on what I should do before I put it to work?
Screenshot_20230713-203429.png

Screenshot_20230713-203343.png

Change the oil

Move the drain hoses, they look like they are attached to the handle and facing upwards. Save yourself a blast in the face when you drain the compressor.

Check the relief valve. Run the unit to full pressure with the filling valve and cylinders closed. Watch the gauge and ensure the relief valve opens (you will hear it) at the correct pressure. It may open early or not at all - if so, your local agent should be able to service it and set it at the right pressure for you.

Make sure you set it up in an area where there's no potential CO/CO2 buildup.

Change the oil

Move the drain hoses, they look like they are attached to the handle and facing upwards. Save yourself a blast in the face when you drain the compressor.

Check the relief valve. Run the unit to full pressure with the filling valve and cylinders closed. Watch the gauge and ensure the relief valve opens (you will hear it) at the correct pressure. It may open early or not at all - if so, your local agent should be able to service it and set it at the right pressure for you.

Make sure you set it up in an area where there's no potential CO/CO2 buildup.
Thank you

Thank you
Very happy with my purchase. The unit only has 117 hours on it and looks brand new. Did a quick fill on a couple of 80CF tanks and no issues hitting 3k. The rebuild kit/syn oil & filter should arrive next week. It came with all the logs from the MN state dive/rescue team and the last use was 2016.

Is it a complete waste to do a rebuild with so few hours? I am not planning on filling the bank bottles until I change the oil and only plan on using 2 (alternating)

PXL_20230802_220323550.jpg

only plan on using 2 (alternating)
I'm sure you're all set up now but I'm curious if you already have 3 bank bottles why you wouldn't use all 3, unless your available space was an issue? (since more banked gas would give you more flexibility on when to run compressor, ie easier to avoid running it on hotter/more humid days)

Hello all , I am new in this place and happy to joint your community.

I just got brand new Oceanus and would like to ask you, experienced operating this machine, some details.
There are plenty of instructions coming with compressor, but after reading it all and watching video from Bauer about first start (Junior II), I am still bit curious in some point.
Especially after machine is switched off, shall I keep pressure in filling house, reduce it ,or can it be deflated to 0 bar? Just to be sure filter unit is kept pressurized and save some filling hose life when not under pressure all the time. Is there any valve in this system keeping filter unit pressurized even when filling hose is empty?

Thank you for any hints.

Unless you install additional isolation valves, the filter unit is unlikely to stay pressurised for an extended period after the compressor is turned off - air will slowly leak out.

You don't mention what's driving the compressor - electric motor or petrol engine? Either way, starting a compressor under load is harder than off load, then closing the drains.

Also, I suspect Bauer suggest running the compressor with drain(s) open for a couple of minutes after finishing filling to clear as much condensate as possible.

It's the other way around ish dude Bauer wants you to run your comp for a couple of minutes at the start
to flush out anything that may have leached out from your filter, whilst it has been sitting around unused

I start with drains closed, as mine is a manual and they are spring loaded closed
and I would prefer to keep my precious ears as far out of there as much as I can

as I mainly pump to 300bar it is filter seats I change, and also lower body orings

When I stop the compressor, that is it it is stopped with two 2 hoses presssurised to save pumping it up
if it is to be used again then when finished bleed down to 100 bar but it leaks out and then stays empty

There is always water within the system, filter housing etc

Moisture is the enemy of your tank however I adjust 15min drain depending on humidity and my mood

or something

Back
Top Bottom