Battery Clarification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Electric curlers are filled with flammable wax or oil and are therefore considered a hazardous product.

That list was also shown to everyone waiting in line to check-in Jan 12th for the Air Canada direct flight to Toronto
I was thinking that they still had employees who stood at the check-in lines and asked each person to read the sign. Kind of hard to claim batteries were stolen from carry-on after that. This is also mentioned in the sticky thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/413080-arriving-cozumel-airport-guided-tour.html

I see that Deb has posted an extensive list of rules on another thread. Some of those I wouldn't think of. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...n-faa-rules-re-items-carryons-vs-checked.html

Listing batteries as forbidden to carry on just makes it more confusing. Does that mean loose batteries or does it also count those that are installed in a device??? If so, how far could they take it?????

Makes me glad that my dive watch is self winding! :D

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 11:07 AM ----------

This is copied straight from the TSA web site. It says batteries are ok to carry on but not check....

[h=3]Tips For Safe Travel with Batteries[/h]

• laptop_n_phone.jpg
    Keep batteries and equipment with you, or in carry-on baggage - not in your checked baggage! In the cabin, flight crew can better monitor conditions, and have access to the batteries or device if a fire does occur.
  • Buy batteries from reputable sources and only use batteries approved for your device – avoid counterfeits! A counterfeit battery is more likely to cause a fire in your equipment – costing you more in the long run, and compromising safety.
  • Look for the mark of an independent testing or standards organization, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).
  • Do not carry recalled or damaged batteries on aircraft. Check battery recall information at the manufacturer's website, or at the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
  • Only charge batteries which you are sure are rechargeable! Non-rechargeable batteries are not designed for recharging, and become hazardous if placed in a battery charger. A non-rechargeable battery placed in a charger may overheat or cause damage later.
  • Only use a charger compatible with your rechargeable battery – don’t mix and match!
  • If original packaging is not available for spare batteries, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating the batteries from contact with other batteries and metal. Do not permit a loose battery to come in contact with metal objects, such as coins, keys, or jewelry.
  • Place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package, or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals. Isolating terminals prevents short-circuiting.
  • Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting a high degree of pressure on the battery, as this can cause an internal short-circuit, resulting in overheating.
  • If you must carry a battery-powered device in any baggage, package it to prevent inadvertent activation. For instance, you should pack a cordless power tool in a protective case, with a trigger lock engaged. If there is an on-off switch or a safety switch, tape it in the "off" position.

This just gets more confusing. I just went to tsa site and it says ONLY carryon for batteries because they are more easily monitored if they start a fire. ????WTH? That was updated 2012. So we have conflicting directions from TSA's own guidelines. I hate this crap.

This just gets more confusing. I just went to tsa site and it says ONLY carryon for batteries because they are more easily monitored if they start a fire. ????WTH? That was updated 2012. So we have conflicting directions from TSA's own guidelines. I hate this crap.

The fact: TSA and Mexican policy and procedure are two different Aminal's .... Baselilne, Rules going to CZM are different than departing CZM. I know this is crazy as the rules should be the same as travel is on the same airline and same plane, only different directions. And yes, it can be confusing, espeically when the rules change willy nilly.... Good Luck !

My 12 alkaline C batteries go in my checked bags both ways, safely packed in a front pocket - very easy for TSA to see on X-ray, very easy to access. They have never bothered them. I know what the site says, but sorry.

My 12 NiMH AA batteries and my rechargeable lithium camera batteries I don't mind humping in my roll-on going, then packing safely in checked returning - but I don't move them in Houston when changing to the domestic flight. Some of this is just too much.

Oh there are more. I think I leave the AAAs in my portable luggage scales and in checked bags both ways. Too many things contain batteries these days.

I'm just doing what I've done since TSA updated the policy to carry on only for batteries in 2008. I'm packing the dive lights with batteries installed in our carry ons. I'm carrying my camera bag on with one battery installed, and several loose. And I'm carrying my laptop on with battery installed.

They have yet to confiscate any of my batteries, but I was concerned a couple of years ago by several scuba board members posting that when departing, the Mexican version of TSA took their expensive camera and laptop lithium batteries and tossed them in a tub.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom