Batik Air VS Garuda VS Lion Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd see what you can do about your carry on - air Asia and most of the Budget airlines have a 7kg limit for carry on. I may be wrong but I think Nam you run the risk of having even a 7kg backpack put in the hold on some flights.

Oh no!!. Can I just pay for the excess weight for carry-on? I do not want to put my carry-on on the hold. Regulators, camera, torches, batteries, drone. That's over $2K USD...

Last time I flew Lion (nov) they did not weigh my carry on. I did pay baggage fee for excess weight for baggage over 15K.
I'm not sure about the others.

My experience is only with Garuda, maybe about 5 or 6 flights so far domestically.

I point to one of my two overweight bags and say "Scuba diving gear", they talk amongst themselves, then smile and say "yes, OK good" and no fees. I think one they asked me to open the bag and show them scuba gear.

- Bill

Was able to get my luggage down to 20 Kilos (44 lbs). Discarded a few items; 3 pair of underwear should last me 3+ weeks. o_O

My carry-on is still 15 Kilos (33 lbs). But I learned I can move the weight to my **small laptop bag** when checking in. So I will put my regulators and batteries in there. That should drop my carry on down to 7 or 8 Kilos.

This is traveling super light for 3 1/2 weeks.

Made it to Sorong in one piece. In hindsight I think I worried for no reason.

Had zero issues with with baggage weights. Nobody even cared.

Neither AirAsia nor Nam airlines said anything about my 21.5 kilos for luggage.

Carryon nobody cared. (15 kilos})

AirAsia flight was delayed 1 hour.
NamAirlines was freezing cold. They didn't turn on the heat. Gate was changed 3 times b4 departure.

Indonesia custom did not check my luggage. Wish I bough another bottle of booze.
A bottle of cheap whiskey in Sorong cost around $200 USD.

Excuse my spelling. Using phone.

...Gate was changed 3 times b4 departure.
Lol, what I find funny is that the gate usually leads you to a bus that drives you out to the plane. It's not like the plane was actually directed to a different boarding gate. Why does it matter what gate you board the bus from?

...Wish I bough another bottle of booze.
A bottle of cheap whiskey in Sorong cost around $200 USD...
I declared 1 extra bottle my last 3x's through customs in Bali, they charged 100,000IDR (approx. $7.50). Beware of the liquor in Sorong, it could very well be a knock off, sold as a name brand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom