Batik Air VS Garuda VS Lion Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the feedback. What about plan B? Is it easier to buy tickets at the airport in case a flight gets cancelled?

1) JFK - SIN = Cathay Pacific
2) SIN - CGK = Air Asia (Depart SIN at 5:35PM Arrive in CGQ at 6:25PM)
3) CGK to SOQ = NAM Airlines (Depart CGK at 12:05AM Arrive SOQ at 6:10AM)
4) SOQ to AMQ =Garuda
5) AMQ to JKT = TBD
6) CGK to JFK = Cathay Pacific

The most important flights are 3 and 5. I miss those I am screwed.

From CGK to SOQ I am flying a day earlier before my liveaboard. What would I have to do if I miss this flight or if it gets cancelled?
DEPART 12:05AM NAM AIR IN9586. JAKARTA TO SORONG.

From AMQ to JAKARTA I am also flying a day earlier before flying home. As long as I arrive in Jakarta before 8AM next day I am OK.

As another Indo resident and frequent flier I also always try to fly Garuda if/when I can especially because of the luggage allowance thing. Batik better option than Lion, I am not tall and I bang my knees in the seat in front of me on Lion, Batik offers much more space.

Are you the infamous Yap Mike Veitch? I almost met you in Palau almost 10 years ago. That's where I met some of the WetPixel crew.

You shouldn't have any trouble buying tickets in airports...finding customer service in airports is an entirely different thing. Leaving a day either side of your LOB is a wise move.

Yap... yes, but i left there in 2007, been in Indo since then. Smart move arriving in Sorong a day early. I can't comment on NAM, they are a new airline and I haven't dealt with them.

Last year I had a "good" experience with Garuda;
DPS to LBJ afternoon flight- very heavy weather when we got to LBJ meant we had to turn round and go back. They did a good job of getting everyone on a bus (though overfilled), into a nice hotel, bought us dinner, and back to DPS (same/overfilled bus) and on a new flight early the next morning. Very smooth considering the situation, at no cost and my luggage made it too. The worst part was that the tender boat ride to the Komodo Dancer was a "real" adventure in the return of the nasty weather!

Your flights are fine with plenty of room for error. Don't stress over it. I dont know if you have been here before, but a liveaboard in R4 followed by Ambon muck is going to be absolutely amazing. Have a safe trip.

If I had to fly from the USA to Indonesia, I would try to travel through Singapore or Denpasar.

May I suggest EVA Air between USA and SEA? They go through Taiwan. We always get the Economy Plus because I am 193cm (that's 6' 5" ) between SFO and Taiwan. Really great service. Clean bathrooms. Non-hostile flight attendants. Red wine for the asking. What more can you ask for when you're in an aluminum tube for 13 hours with several hundred of your closest friends?

- Bill

JFK-CGK all on Cathay Pacific? Did you check price & connectons? Will Cathay check baggage thru to CGK on Air Asia?
For AMQ-CGK I'd suggest Garuda. Garuda shows an extra 23kg baggage allowance for scuba gear for FREE (in addition to the normal 20kg).
Within Indonesia Garuda is my airline of choice, Lion is second.

Wow great to know - I am in the midst of booking domestic flights between islands and ports and will be lugging around my dive gear.

Does anyone know the luggage limits/fees for additional luggage? On Lion? Batik? Citi? Etc

Also I have been using Tiket.com. I am now on the white list, or off it? Wasn't clear to me but needed to send them a pic of my passport and credit card (numbers but last 4 digits covered) - USA issued bank/card . Anyone else ever need to do this - or is there an identity theft issue? Half joking, but I hope this is a standard procedure and looking for some reassurance.....

Never use Ticket.com, nor send picture of passport & credit card to any online travel agent, it sounds suspicious to me. I do fillout the number of credit card & my name as it appears on my passport. Later on 24 hour before departure, I do fill out the passport number & its expiration date in online check-in to obtain electronic boarding pass.

Back
Top Bottom