Batik Air VS Garuda VS Lion Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BikerManiac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It seems I have 3 Airlines choices to fly from Ambon to Jakarta (AMQ - JKT).

I would appreciate any feedback on these airlines. I was thinking about booking with Batik because the business class seat is only $40 more than economy. But if Batik is like Spirit Airlines in the US, I would avoid it like a mosquito with Malaria and zika combined.

Just notice I will be using different airlines for each leg of my trip.

1) JFK - SIN = Cathay Pacific
2) SIN - CGK = Air Asia
3) CGK to SOQ = NAM Airlines
4) SOQ to AMQ =Garuda
5) AMQ to JKT = TBD
6) CGK to JFK = Cathay Pacific

Last edited:
I'd pick Garuda (more reliable). A bit of money saving doesn't mean much if your flight get cancelled, delayed, which might make you lose flight connection going home, or fall off the sky.

1. Garuda - most reliable
2. Lion Air - ok if it runs on time...make sure you have a decent amount of time up your sleeve in CGK
3. Batik (last resort, I might swim it)

I just booked a couple flights on Garuda Air. I notices something interesting. When I booked all 4 flights together the price was almost 13m rup but when I split them up it was 9m rup. Not only that I had more flights to choose from.

That doesn't answer your question but might be helpful.

Batik Air is Lion Air. They are the exact same company. Batik is their "upscale" product. You just get some different packaging and a meal. You also get the same shi--y customer service. I despise Lion Air and will always pick Garuda if it is an option. Batik is a better choice as the price point keeps those away who...how can you say it...cram the overheads with boxes of donuts to bring home from the big city. That being said, if you are willing to fly Air Asia and Srijaya, you might as well fly Lion.

JFK-CGK all on Cathay Pacific? Did you check price & connectons? Will Cathay check baggage thru to CGK on Air Asia?
For AMQ-CGK I'd suggest Garuda. Garuda shows an extra 23kg baggage allowance for scuba gear for FREE (in addition to the normal 20kg).
Within Indonesia Garuda is my airline of choice, Lion is second.

Oops ... almost all of them are Indonesian.

Personally speaking I never worry that the plane I'm on is going to crash - even the lousiest on that list fly many 1000's of times each year and have less than a handful of incidents, most of which are non-fatal. Smoking, drinking, traffic accident, falling in the shower are multiple times more risky.

But to answer the original question - of the three options you mentioned II'd agree with others in this thread that Garuda is the best of a bad bunch.

It is not so much the safety of the Indonesia airlines that concern me. I have no problem getting on a Lion flight. The flights you have chosen will undoubtably be fine. The problem with choosing Srijaya, Lion (Including Wings and Batik), Citilink, etc... is when the much more possible things go wrong: late flights, missing connections, canceled flights, weather, and lost luggage. With Garuda you can be confident the problem will get solved and you will be treated like a human being, or at least at the standard you would expect for a carrier like Cathay or Singapore Air. With the discount Indonesian carriers it can be an absolute nightmare. That is why if possible I always go with Garuda even if they cost a few bucks more or not the perfect schedule.

Last edited:
That being said, if you are willing to fly Air Asia and Srijaya, you might as well fly Lion.
I chuckled a bit reading that.

JFK-CGK all on Cathay Pacific? Did you check price & connectons?
I am staying in Singapore for a few days before flying to Jakarta and then Sorong. More worried about domestic flights until I read the comments from matts1w.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom