Batik Air VS Garuda VS Lion Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JFK-CGK all on Cathay Pacific? Did you check price & connectons? Will Cathay check baggage thru to CGK on Air Asia?
For AMQ-CGK I'd suggest Garuda. Garuda shows an extra 23kg baggage allowance for scuba gear for FREE (in addition to the normal 20kg).
Within Indonesia Garuda is my airline of choice, Lion is second.

Any suggestions on how to get this freebie would be welcome. Pack all our scuba gear in a separate bag? We fly tomorrow evening to Manado.

IIRC, I have heard some say they got this discount, others that they did not. Seems to be an on-off policy, or maybe this is Indonesia. For example this is a quote from their policy:

Example:
If passenger brings 15 kg of sport equipment for route JKT-DPS in economy class, then it can be compensated to his/her free baggage allowance as long as the free baggage allowance comply with his/her right, in this case 20 kg.

• Maximum weight of sport equipment to be carried as checked baggage is 32 kg. Any item above 32kg will not be accepted as checked baggage and may have to be shipped as Cargo.

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

Last edited:
Last May I went to Sorong via Makassar from Denpasar with Garuda. I just pointed one of my bags was for scuba gears & they let me go without paying extra 23 kg.

is 15kg, no need for a seperate bag, just tell them you have sports gear or diving gear and they will give it to you. they might ask which bag, just point at a bag that has some dive gear in it

I believe 15kg for domestic, that is all I have ever received. (I also get another 5kg for Silver) perhaps 23kg is for international?

A little tangential but does anyone have any advice on shipping dive gear and clothes back home (AUS) from Jakarta on short notice? I've realised I have no room or need for a reef hook, bikini and 5mm in central/Northern Europe in November. My Banda Sea/Kei LOB ends on Nov 2 and I fly to Amsterdam on Nov 4 so I have a pretty tight connection and not a lot of time to go to post offices. I should think these travel impulses through a little better but hey...we only get one life.

flew wings from bali to labuan and back. flights were on time and they waived baggage fees when i told them i had dive gear. check in at bali was bad though, definitely want to arrive early else you could get stuck in a very long line and possibly miss your flight.

15kg? or 23kg?

It's 23 kgs whatever flight this is domestic or international.
Check out Garuda website where the example is set on a JKT-DPS flight, which is a domestic flight.

Can the sport equipment be treated as Free Baggage Allowance?

Yes, all sporting equipments can be included into applicable passengers Free Baggage Allowance (part of the FBA) as long as the free baggage allowance comply with the passenger right.

Example:
If the passenger brings 30 kg of surfing board for route JKT-DPS in economy class, the excess of special baggage 7 kg can be compensated to his/her free baggage allowance as long as the free baggage allowance complies with his/her right, in this case 20 kg.

• FBA on the ticket for JKT-DPS : 20 kg
  • Additional free baggage for sport equipment : 23 kg

Of course like everywhere in Indonesia you sometimes need to insist.
Just point the bag where you have put some dive equipment on top (wet suit, fins : I had the bag once checked in Kupang). and say "Menyalam" (for diving). If it's still a "no", ask for the person in charge and resume.
In the end you'll have 23kg free sport equipment.

Packing for my trip and I am way over the carry-on and baggage limit.
My carry-on is ~15 Kilos or 33 lbs. (Regs, camera, torches, etc)
My Luggage is ~25 Kilos or 55l lbs.

Not worry about the international flights.

But AirAsia from SIN - CGK (I pre-paid baggage up to 30 lbs)
CGK to SOQ NAM Airlines --> Any experience with their excess baggage?
SOQ to AMQ Garuda Airlines--> Any experience with their excess baggage?

Anybody have experience carrying a DRONE in their carry-on?

I am usually a light traveler and never ever paid baggage fees. This trip I went overboard.

I'd see what you can do about your carry on - air Asia and most of the Budget airlines have a 7kg limit for carry on. I may be wrong but I think Nam you run the risk of having even a 7kg backpack put in the hold on some flights.

Recent Indo trip a fellow diver had his drone as his carry on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom