Question Banning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That ban hammer has been busy! Hopefully the mods can have a day of rest.

I would rather have active moderators paying attention and liberal with banning undesired behavior over no moderation allowing uncontrolled atmosphere. I have been on other forums (unrelated to scuba) that have no moderation and people bully, post completely unrelated information and destroy the intent of the forum and postings. Needless to say, I don't frequent those forums, anymore. I "skimmed" the usage terms and conditions when I first joined but have used common sense to post and contribute.
I feel moderators and owners have some ethical rights to steer the forum in the manner they choose. There is a lot of legal and corporate policy claiming free access and speech/expression in public arenas that gets carried too far (in my opinion). I still feel this arena is a "specialized" place open to all who want to join but they must play by the club rules.
If I throw a dinner party, my rules are that people don't get too drunk and puke on my carpet and don't use my living room to fight with other guests. (They must use the cemetery down the street.)
Humor and teasing is very subjective. It seems things that are offensive but subjective get removed and maybe a message to the contributor gets sent saying, "please don't do that." ?
(To be honest, I could have made a similar mistake by posting product solicitations in the wrong place. I just didn't happen to do it this week.)

To be honest, I could have made a similar mistake by posting product solicitations in the wrong place. I just didn't happen to do it this week.
Unlikely to result in a banning. More likely to result in a move to the correct forum.

Your forum is large & involved, & to a beginner difficult to get right first time.
Your message said “ you couldn’t put spam on the site, & you would have to contact a moderator, if it was a mistake. But how can you contact a moderator if you cannot access the site, if you have been banned ?
This is the question, there is no nefarious intent ment.
Actually I agree with this.
How many chatrooms does one forum need? I feel ready to feature in the remake of Labrynth.

I only use one "room" on this forum, "New Posts". :wink:

(Except, I guess, when a new topic needs to be started, and then it's a bit of a trek...)

You are banned from SB for continuing violations of TOS. There are several temporary bans prior to permanent ban. Users have plenty of time to change their behavior prior to permeant ban. Some users are just unable to change their behavior. Once permabanned, a user may apply to Pete for a lift of the ban.

Back
Top Bottom