Banana drama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but being a young guy who frequently looks to his elders for advice and wisdom, perhaps you can enlighten me as to why i should make mountains out of molehills, or make chemical weapons bunkers out of pharmaceutical manufacturers. :)

Because it's his banana. Not the boat captains, and it's irrelevant to the operation of the boat.

If the captain is allergic to bananas and would go into shock and die if he contacted one, then it's a reasonable request and I'd happily toss it overboard.

If the captain doesn't like it because he heard that someone else had a banana on a boat once, then Germany invaded Poland, I'd be having a banana snack that afternoon. Just because two things happen doesn't mean they're related. And just because someone tells you to do something doesn't mean you actually need to do it.

As a semi-old guy (not as old as papa_bear, but old enough to remember Black and White TV), I can tell you that if you spend your life being a doormat, you'll get walked on a lot.

Just as an example, one of the guys I used to work with was always getting buried at work, staying late, working weekends and holidays, while I worked 9:30-5, 5 days/week. One day he asked me how I did it, and I revealed my secret: 'When they tell me to work nights and weekends, I say "No"'

If you don't stand up for yourself, nobody else will.

Terry

Surface sailors and their silly myths. They are just targets anyway.

Submarines I was on had bananas. We surfaced as many times as we submerged.

Edit Speellling.

Last edited:
Bible says a man oten not lay down with another mans banana!

Mackerel head bitting is supposed to ensure a good commercial catch!

HANDS OFF!
food041.jpg

bananahorns.gif

Well we never have answered the question about woman!
bananaskipper.gif
The discussion was about bananas, not women. But if you must, I think that one started with Helen of Troy, launched a thousand ships, long war, finally returning to slaughter all the men who'd been trying to marry the queen and move into the throne room. I think it finally settled out when vikings and pirates stopped carrying off stolen women with the other navies in hot pursuit. As long as you don't kidnap the woman, she's not bad luck.
banana_guitar.gif

The captain is not god and now one has to follow an illegal or immoral request!
bananasad.gif
Well of course not; that was a stupid remark. The discussion is about being a courteous paying guest.
bananapiano.gif

Stop being sheep and be men!
bananawhip.gif
Whooppee be a man over a banana. It's not about being a man; it's about being a gentleman.
banana02.gif

You would eat someone because it was the tradition or superstition?
bananasmash.gif
That was another dumb remark. We're talking about being courteous about a 300 year+ tradition
Please there is no law against bananas and it would be an illegal request and no one has to follow like sheep! Ba ba be a good little sheep!
Keep your banana if you must; just ask the skipper if it's okay - then decide if you want the banana or on the boat.
bananawave.gif

You have to draw a line in the sand somewhere and go ahead and tell your buddy captains you through someone off your tub because of a banana! LOL real adult! You don't have to site maritime law to me and tell everyone how important the captain is and that he can order someone to walk the plank, because it has to be a lawful order in the first place! SO when is someone going to tell me how this squares with woman being bad luck?
banana05.gif
Again with the woman argument? Outdated, settled, done.
Do you have the right as captain to deny boarding or passage to a woman? If you think you do for bananas then you must for woman! I pity the fool! Once we got back to the dock I would file a police report for theft! :popcorn:
bananapoop.gif
I'd love to see the oceanside policeman's face on that one. Maybe it'll be a slow news day and you'll get your pic in the local paper. And forget the Bible talk okay; we do not do those arguments here, thank gawd.
party09.gif

I brought a banana on board for my very first boat dive and when the captain saw me open it up he was shocked and told me to get rid of it. I thought he was totally kidding at first then figured out he was dead serious. As I was a guest on his boat, I complied by tossing it overboard - hey, no need to get all worked up over not eating a banana, right? Once the banana was gone everything and everyone went back to normal and the captain explained that bananas on boats are considered bad luck.
bananawaves.gif
Yeah, someone in your group should have warned you, but it seems to have gone well. Now you know and you can help others be advised.
bananahula.gif

While I'm not overly superstitious myself, it was no skin off of my nose to respect the boat crew's superstitions and traditions as it doesn't involve bringing harm to anyone. Life is way too short to get upset over something like this...
No, I don't believe in a lot of the superstitions and traditions I try to respect. It's just being courteous.
bananabeer.gif

Last edited:
Someone should tell the skipper that it's also bad luck to tell customers they can't eat the fruit of their choice while on your boat.

At least it is if you define bad luck as "running off all your paying customers".

Wow. It is really simple. If you don't want to follow the rules of a skipper on a boat, perhaps you should get your own boat and you be the skipper. If you don't like the rules, take your toys and go home. But quit talking trash about what you won't put up with on another man's boat. You should be a smart consumer and check out his boat. If you can't abide by his rules and regulations.....

Now, having said that, I can't tell you all the funny stories and tales I have accumulated over the years by going other places, respecting their culture and customs, and learning from them. It can be loads of fun, or you can make it a nightmare if you are that rigid. Either way, your choice. :bananalama:

You should be a smart consumer and check out his boat. If you can't abide by his rules and regulations.....

But how is one supposed to predict that their skipper would have such a random belief as "bananas are bad luck on a ship"?

Unless you happened to notice that the skipper had a 16th century understanding of the way the world worked in general, you wouldn't predict he would see a relationship between bananas and his boats safety/success.

I don't think you can blame the consumer's ignorance for not checking up on their boat's banana policy before they signed on. There's nothing to warn the consumer that bananas would be an issue in the first place.

Here's the big question:

Does the US Navy serve bananas on their ships? Do astronauts eat banana in space?

Back
Top Bottom