• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Banana drama

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by mr bubbles, Jun 28, 2008.

1. OBXDIVEGUY

OBXDIVEGUY Contributor

# of Dives:
    Over react much?! Geesshhh....

On the water the captain is in charge. It is more or less his country you are floating on. Even the Coast Guard will make accomodations to certain fishermen's superstitions.

2. Nemrod

Nemrod Solo Diver

When locals for what ever reason ask you to respect their traditions and you throw a spoiled child fit, wahhhh, waahhhhhh, I want my bannannas. OK, you would be off my boat and when I get back to dock my tipless crew and I would also inform our fellow charter crews and skippers what a spoiled and rotten banmanna baby you are and they will not take you out and you will be left going waaahhhhh, waaaahhhhh, nobdy will take my spoiled rear out, waaaahhhhh. I would be tempted to put you out with your bannanas and tell you which way shore is. Don't mess with the skipper, he is the ONE god onboard that boat you need concern yourself with. Scuba has a few decades of traditions but people who work and live on the water have thousands of years of tradition, some local, some universal, silly or not and some follow them and need not offer spoiled guests any explanation. It is rather presumptive to think you know better than people who may have been doing what they do for generations. Oooops, I just dropped your camera overboard, guess you should have left that bannanas on the dock like I asked you to, they are bad luck you know on a boat. :O

N

3. freediver

freediver Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Let's be careful here not to confuse tradition with superstition.

4. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    :confused: Oh, does it make a difference?

5. maged_mmh

maged_mmh Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    First time to hear about that!
    Now, what about banana exporters? how do they ship? how the freight boats mariners feel?

6. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Probly part of the origin of the superstition/tradition...

[​IMG]

10 more years tho and it may not matter. They may be gone - see: The Banana Plant Is Doomed :11:

7. Papa_Bear

Papa_Bear Dive Equipment Manufacturer

Well we never have answered the question about woman! The captain is not god and now one has to follow an illegal or immoral request! Stop being sheep and be men! You would eat someone because it was the tradition or superstition? Please there is no law against bananas and it would be an illegal request and no one has to follow like sheep! Ba ba be a good little sheep! You have to draw a line in the sand somewhere and go ahead and tell your buddy captains you through someone off your tub because of a banana! LOL real adult! You don't have to site maritime law to me and tell everyone how important the captain is and that he can order someone to walk the plank, because it has to be a lawful order in the first place! SO when is someone going to tell me how this squares with woman being bad luck? Do you have the right as captain to deny boarding or passage to a woman? If you think you do for bananas then you must for woman! I pity the fool! Once we got back to the dock I would file a police report for theft! :popcorn:

8. maged_mmh

:shocked:
    this should be a joke!!

9. Papa_Bear

Papa_Bear Dive Equipment Manufacturer

Where is your rabbit foot? Because did you know that Fijians ate people for thousands of years in the belief they captured their strength, so who are we to stop that! Please! I have no traditions other than dive and have fun! Oops better throw that salt over your shoulder and don't open that umbrella in side! Spoiled? You don't know what your talking about! Having air can do that! :popcorn: BTW I have more insurance and I am older than you, so drop away!

10. maged_mmh

Does this mean that I have to worry for my upcoming trip to Vanuatu? :D