Banana drama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard it stems from bananas producing a gas which causes other fruit to ripen, and subsequently spoil, faster. I guess people noticed that fruit stores rotted faster on ocean going vessels if bananas were also present. Thus the association with bad luck. Don't know if it's true but it sounds good.

This is correct. Bananas give off ethylene gas, which acts as a ripening hormone on plants and fruit. Bananas ripen less fast when you separate them and store in different places. Other fruit produce ethylene, too, for example tomatoes.

It is well known bad luck for mariners to have bannanas onboard. Sorry, no bannanas on my boat either. Better please the sea gods. They are more important that you.

You know, it surprises me people don't know these things, they should be part of dive training, boat ettiquette etc. When you are on a boat, the skipper is the law and the boat is like his home, if he don't like bannanas onboard, better get oranges, that would include you guys, that or don't get on the boat, your not in charge, the skipper is.

Here are more borrowed from a boating site:

1. Bananas on board are bad luck (or anything referencing)
2. Do not look back when leaving port (bad luck)
3. Women on board are bad luck? (don't agree here)
4. Never start a voyage the first Monday in April
5. Never step on board with your left foot.
7. pouring wine on board is good luck. (offering to gods)
8. Bad luck to harm mola mola (ocean sunfish)
9. Church Bells heard on ship means someone will die.
10. Dolphins swimming with the boat are good luck

Sharks following a boat are a sign of impending death, red sky at night, sailor's delight, red sky in the morning, sailors take warning. There are tons more like not renaming a vessal without performing certain rituals.

N

Last edited:
There is only one god, and he didn't curse bananas,

To use your quote: " To hell with superstition and voodoo and all kind of wired ****,"

I agree with your criticism of superstition and vodoo, but in my opinion this "wired ****" does include the "one god" you mention. I think this illustrates that when it comes to beliefs, you just can't argue with people. Do I think it's ridiculous to throw bananas overboard? Of course. Do I claim the right to tell locals what to believe and what not? No.

As long as the skipper doesn't throw my banana hammock over board, I'm cool with that. :D

Well what about woman? They have been considered bad luck on boats and ships for hundreds of years? So when you get rid of or ban woman then I will respect the banana thing! Contraband, Drugs, and Illegal items you can tell me not to bring then! But I don't care who you think you are, you don't make those decisions for me, with all due respect! There are too many places to hid the banana! :popcorn:

I guess PW needs to go on his own boat with his own rules if he can't respect the skipper's home rules.

I respect your feelings PW, as much as I would those who have different feelings, trying to not insult any. If it was your boat, I'd want to respect your boat regs.

How big of a deal is it to not carry bananas onboard without asking?

It's actually pretty silly.

If the captain knew someone who had an accident while carrying a blue towel, does that mean he's going to toss my towel overboard?

If anybody chucked my banana, sunscreen or whatever overboard, there would be no tips and someone would be buying me a new "whatever", or would be arguing with the CC company about getting paid.

This is the 21 century. People should act like it.

Terry

Don, you are kidding right? I is just as rude to request that someone follow a unreasonable request! Does a captain have a right to say no woman? No red heads? No medication for an illness? As I said, a publicly operated dive boat can't dictate your diet or the cloths you wear! Confiscating someones banana is the same as stealing! What next taking your shirt because its not the right color?

I do have a right to tell the locals eating other people or killing animals for sacrifice is wrong! That truth shall set you free!

I would pity the poor captain that made an unreasonable request of me or anyone else! Remember the Kane Mutiny? Over Ice Cream! And? :popcorn:

I'm a firm follower of the no banana rule while on fishing trips which I would definitely carry over to spearfishing if I was into that sport. I wouldn't advise showing up for a Carolina fishing charter with a banana because you might not get on board. If you did get off shore and revealed your fruit you may have an unpleasant experience and be ridden hard for your inexperience and lack of respect for the captain, boat and others on board. If it is a head boat good luck. I often disregard the rule for basic pleasure boating and diving but I admit I did feel a bit uneasy when I saw a banana sticking out of a fellow divers gear bag la couple of weeks ago. We did make it back to the dock but we did weather some heavy storms with lightning and blinding rain going out.

Perhaps that is the reason why many folks on SB don't like spare air's - they are small, yellow, and looks like a banana ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom