Banana drama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to a very old thread newcomers.
smilies-1678.png

Wow... after watchin' (yep... the WHOLE THING)... that 'Crazy Banana' video... I think I'm gonna' need therapy... and a big sign on my boat that sez', "No Bananas... bring one... WALK home."... :rofl3: :rofl3:

I think if a captain wants to post a giant "No Banana's allowed - I am afraid of them" sign, I will respect it... otherwise...I will bring on whatever fruit I can find....

I think that would alert me to the fact that the captain is a fruit and I should find a boat with a less psychotic operator.

There's a part of me that wants to hand out a banana to each diver when I go to Belize in March just to see what happens....

...but then I think I'd cry if all of the tasty bananas got thrown over or would have to go dive for them. Especially if they were dancing ones.

Ya know, I have a couple of friends who are Captains and have licenses to captain any vessel of any size out there on inland waters...and none of them, through all of their nautical studies know about the banana superstition. They know of lots of others...but not the banana.

"I mean a method they have actually used with success..."
That happens when I enlarge the page print with CTRL and +

Have you done that or changed other settings?
:confused: It works. The skins get darker but the fruit is ok, and no Fruit Flies
What does that accomplish? I've read that they may last longer, but how would it stop the Fruit Flies from hatching out? (FYI: All bananas have Fruit Flie maggots on the skin.) I'd forgotten about that idea, meant to try it so they'd ripen more gently and uniformly, but the buggers will still hatch

41AKC1DY1KL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Hey DD,
Many months later; you questions still haunts my mind and irritate my sleep.....
until I found this: A simple DIY solution :D (attached)

Attachments

• image004.JPG
    image004.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 59
Puffer Fish:
I think if a captain wants to post a giant "No Banana's allowed - I am afraid of them" sign, I will respect it... otherwise...I will bring on whatever fruit I can find....

Some types of fruit just do not belong on boats.

Attachments

• 0812_richard_simmons_5334993_wenn2.jpg
    0812_richard_simmons_5334993_wenn2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 46
  • ACL 07 Day Three IMG_9347.jpg
    ACL 07 Day Three IMG_9347.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 60
Neat trick with heavy coat hanger! I'll try it, wiht a vinyl coated one that won't mar my counter top.

As far as the flies, I stopped putting the skins in my trash where they waited until the can got full. Now I put them in a sealed container to be composted when it fills. No more flies. :cool:

When I started my OW classes, the practice classes, I started with leg cramps.
One of the instructors told me to eat bananas as they add minerals that avoid cramps. My own experience says that this is true.
In the check out dive done in a ship off the coast of Brazil, there were plenty bananas for lunch and at every time we were almost pushed to eat bananas.
Since then in every dive boat in South America I dove I could find bananas and they are considered the friend of the diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom