Bali: How safe is this place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkLover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been planning a trip in August to Scuba Seraya in Bali for several weeks. This resort looks awesome and I am excited to go.

However, I have been reading a darker side of Bali of what COULD happen if things go wrong (http://www.fugly-bali.org, corupt police and customs agents etc). never mind terroism. I am not one that scares easy and I do NOT want to let the bas**rds win. But I do have a family (I am traveling alone) so need to ask the question:

How safe is this place?

Thanks, Dave

You could not pay me to goto Bali...

there are plenty of other great places to dive.. why risk it ?

this is just my opinion, milage may vary

I was in the Philippines in March and there is a Canadian and US government warning about it being dangerous. I'm going back in a couple weeks because I found it very safe. I'm going to Bali in October and have no fears whatsoever about doing it. We will be at the same resort and it is quite isolated so that in itself should be re-assuring. I might be more careful in the larger centers but I would still go.
I think a lot of times the media can blow things out of proportion. I live in Mexico for a lot of the year and if I listened to the sweeping statements on CNN that Mexico is so dangerous I would not go back. Where I live in Puerto Vallarta, it is very safe, safer than where I live in Canada actually. It can be very dangerous in Mexico City and the northern border but they don't talk about any specific areas. There are places in any country or city that can be dangerous and it is good to be aware but I would not worry.

Sensationalistic link.

..but interesting.

I prefer slightly dangerous places than someplace like Coz, to be honest.

Don't you find it just a wee bit exciting trying to stay out of places where they might blow you up? You have to fire up your brain and think about reading the environment..that is fun.

Plus, the art you can buy there...I can't wait for October.

Now, roaming around PNG alone would be exciting because they paint their faces and carry machetes and I like to think there are still cannibals in the jungle.

Speaking of the curruption, this guy I know has ming dynasty china from a shipwreck that he bought from the police there. they had taken it away from a wreckdiver who had taken it illegally, and then they sold it.

Oh, yeah, and be sure to smear yourself with ketchup--the locals really love that!!

I was in Bali right after the 1st bombing. It was nice to be almost alone. At no time was I usafe. Seriously, the issue is not if Bali is safe but will your behavior in Bali be safe. If you frequent the mosttouristy (and ugly) areas, get drunk, don't respect the Hindu culture and otherwise make yourself an easy target, ... you will be targetted. If you pass through Bali and nobody notices, but you soaking in the wonders, then yes, Bali is safe.

As you are from the US, ask yourself if LA is safe? It depends on where you go and how you behave. Most places in the world are the same.

Good luck in your travels and post your impression when you are back,
JL

PS: I hope to go to Bali in the fall

As long as we skip Port Moresby fast I am game to join in. I love PNG and especially Kimbe Bay.
JL

Diver Dennis:
Catherine, you get to lead the group when we go on a jungle trek in PNG...

And Dave, make sure to let us know how it is at Scuba Seraya.

JL, we have a thread about the PNG trip that Catherine started. I forget exactly where but will post the link.

Back
Top Bottom