Bali: How safe is this place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Dave

Terrorism aside, it's one of the safest spots in Indonesia, and probably around many parts of the world. My job requires me to travel 60% of the time to different parts of the world so I guess I know what I'm talking about.

If you're worried about crimes, don't. I, though male, have no qualms about walking alone in the quiet streets late at night. I've met many lone female tourists there too. Some go in groups of 2 or more females. And I'd imagine they won't run into problems at night. Occasionally, you do get guys, sitting in dark corners, asking if you need a taxi. That's it. No harassment, no problem.

F/E

SharkLover:
never mind terroism. I am not one that scares easy and I do NOT want to let the bas**rds win. But I do have a family (I am traveling alone) so need to ask the question:

How safe is this place?

Thanks, Dave

personally i wouldnt go to Bali even if i was paid to go. not so much because of the fear of terriorism but more because there are too many aussies there... last thing i want on a trip is to go to an island and be surrounded by hundreds of my countrymen/women :)

seriously, indonesia has been off my travel list for almost 10 years - australia has a very fragile relationship with indonesia and i would rather spend my time (and money) in a country where i would be more relaxed..... heheh, thats why we off to the Solomons for our next one despite the recent rioting.

have a fabulous trip and safe diving.

cute ones? those Aussie men are manly men!

catherine, cute but most probably drunk or loud if you around depensar and if you there in October/early November you have to deal with the end of season footy trips... i personally would rather poke my eye with a crochet needle.

but im talking about the core tourists areas, i can only hope the dive areas are away from Depensar are much more peaceful.

Dennis and Catherine - are you familiar with the aussie term "a yobbo" :D

i love my country, just not necessarily the aussie yobbo element i see when im a guest other countries.

I've visited Bali 6 times, and never felt unsafe. The Aussie element is, no doubt, unfortunate, but if you stay away from Kuta, they can easily be avoided.:wink:

I did have an annoying incident with a traffic cop who solicited a bribe, but 50,000 Rupiah is pretty petty corruption. I will definitely go back, hopefully in '07, but stay away from the hard core tourist areas.

almitywife:
i love my country, just not necessarily the aussie yobbo element i see when im a guest other countries.
Sounds like the UK...and then there's the World Cup!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom